Blood sugar

Options
catfyson
catfyson Posts: 26 Member
Hello!

Apologies if any topics like this exist already, but I'm just wondering if anyone suffers the way I do with my blood sugar.

I am the kind of person that needs to eat little, but often (but often do the opposite due to work/social life etc). If I go without eating for a certain amount of time, I go from not being hungry, to feeling incredibly faint, which leads me to feeling angry and frustrated. The only thing that seems to combat the 'shakes'/'crashes' (my words for how I feel!), is to follow up a meal with a sweet snack (especially chocolate), or a snack like crisps. So I've become pretty dependent on bad food - does anyone else feel this way?

I have been to the doctors in the past to try and see what the problem is, but have had no luck. I have a feeling it's just bad dieting - but how do you kick the habit when you become so dependent?

Any answers/advice/anyone who feels the same?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I used to have these crashes pretty often, esp if I skipped a meal or pushed a meal forward cause something else came up. Often I got worse than just the shakes I basically grey out and my skin turns ashy and my lips turn blue. At that point chocolate would usually make me feel sicker I needed a glass of milk and bread usually. Then a meal. But since coming on mfp and tracking my food I have learnt that I need to eat much much more than what I was. I also needed to eat better more satisfying foods and not greasy salty or sweet quick fixes. You know your metabolism can't handel when you miss a meal so insted of waiting till you have passed the point. Start being prepared for it to happen by carrying healthy alternatives with you. Things like Musli bars, boxed recovery drinks, fruit, crackers, nuts. The only way to stop the dips and stop eating crap is to change what you are doing. I haven't crashed once since I started mfp a month ago.
  • catfyson
    Options
    Thanks for the reply hun! Glad to see I'm not alone - sounds like your crashes were worse than mine! I always feel like it's the end of the world though, especially if I'm in a situation where I don't have any food and aren't able to get to some any time soon (i.e. if at work, or walking somewhere). Problem is I'm very fussy with snacky foods. I try and take fruit/raisins/other dried fruit into work when I remember, and am going to try make a habit of taking my lunch to work too (I work part time and am meant to finish at 1 so usually don't bother with lunch until I get home, but often my hours get extended and I'm left foodless until as late as 3/4, when I last ate at about 9am).

I found that taking iron supplements improved my situation slightly, so might go back to them as well as carrying around more healthy snacks/lunch for work. Annoying thing is, my office building (I work in a theatre) has mice at the moment, and I'm terrified of them and it dissuades me from taking in food in fear of attracting more! I know I'm being silly but they do scare me for some reason!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes. As someone with type 2 diabetes I often get blood sugar issues. I found I was eating a lot of carbs and I'd crash afterwards. I've changed my macros to 40%carbs, 30%protein, 30%fat, but more or less always eat less carbs than that. I was eating 55% before. I've found I feel a lot better and my blood sugar levels seem to be stable. Hope this helps x
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The blood sugar roller coaster comes from eating carbohydrates and readily available ones at that.

You spike your blood sugar, insulin responds, the blood sugar crashes, you eat again - repeat ad nauseam.

Time to wean yourself onto protein and fat / oil rich foods like nuts rather than carb rich fruits for snacks. Dark chocolate with 70% cocoa solids or more, etc.

Have your blood sugar and insulin response checked by the doctors, Postprandial or Reactive hypoglycemia is a known condition.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm the same I work part time out of the house (part time from home), and always figured I'll just eat when i get home, but by then its always too late so even though it sucks, and I usually end up eating on the train on my way home, i do pack a lunch or at least something to eat like a sandwich, and some yoghurt, or fruit, even a bottled fruit smoothie helps a lot. Or a boiled egg is excellent, if you can stomach eating it that way (it always reminds me of school lunches) but things like egg salad or tuna, or cheese and turkey, even peanut butter on a good bread sandwich will give you some protein that will sustain you for longer. What about muffins? You could make a batch (I love whole meal type ones esp banana & walnut, they are pretty high in cals, but I keep them low in sugar. They freeze well so you can just pull them out and defrost them the night before. vitamins and iron have helped me too, oh and remembering to drink water helps as well. also, think about your breakfasts..are you eating enough there?

I would be funny with the mice situation too, but if you have a sealed box (like a tupperwear) in a bag, you should be pretty good to go.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Im the same and also end up with a throbbing headache when I havent eaten for a long period..its really easy to change though..always carry emergencies in your bag - nuts/dried fruit boxes, meusli bars etc but try and remember to take fresh fruit / veg or whatever your planned snack is. If you get out and realise youve forgotten your apple you have your fruit / nut box to use (just remember to replenish the emergency supply when used (lol).

Start by setting the alarm on your watch or phone to remind you to eat at morning snack / lunch / afternoon snack.. once you are doing it for awhile you wont need the alarms any more
  • nellycakes1
    nellycakes1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am the same but I have found eating a low GI diet has really helped. I used to have to eat really frequently whether I was hungry or not to stop myself feeling weak and shaky.

For me the foods to avoid are most bread, potatoes, breakfast cereals and cereal bars, if I eat these I will want to eat again in an hour or two. New potatoes, sweet potatoes, wholemeal granary bread, tortilla wraps, porridge, pasta, rice are fine in small portions. Chocolate, especially Snickers, are actually not bad for your blood sugar but I avoid other treat foods as they will normally make me feel ill.

More protein, less carbs should help too, and avoid eating carby meals that don't have much protein or fat.
  • catfyson
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately I cannot stand nuts (any at all!) so I know they'd be a useful snack, but I cannot stomach them.

I have already been tested for diabetes and the doctors gave me the clear. I'm not too trusting of doctors in general though, but perhaps thats just paranoia!

Thanks everyone for your help - I will try and remember to take snacks and rely less on carbs and sugar. I think I need to train my body to accept a new routine of snacking/meal times.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are hypoglycemic.

I am too. I usually carry glucose tables around they work a lot faster than food, are over the counter, and only 5 calories.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you check your blood sugar levels and make notes on how you feel and what you've eaten. Walmart sells a cheap meter called the Sidekick. Get that, and a lancing device with which to prick your finger. The test the doctors probably ran can hide underlying issues.
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too think you have a sugar problem/diabetic. Which test for diabetes did you do? The simple blood test or the 3 hour test? The 3 hour test is more accurate. If your not happy with your doctors recommendations/Diagnosis then I suggest another doctor for a 2nd opinion. I have heard to many times that if someone would have just pushed the doctor a little harder for more test then they would have been diagnosed sooner.

Best wishes

Edit: I also like the idea of maybe monitoring your own blood sugar levels. I would test them 5-10 min before you eat, and about 1/2 to 1 hour after you eat.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Did they test you for hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia? I had the same issues and was tested and found out I was hypoglycemic (pre-diabetic). I eat every few hours and that has seemed to help me a lot. I also have read a lot about it to find out what foods are better for blood sugar levels. It is a constant battle since I LOVE sugar :) Good luck and I hope the doctors can help you.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What really helped me stabilize my blood sugar issues was including regular exercise into my life.

Before that, I sounded just like you. Now that I exercise more, it is much more stable even on an unhealthy diet.
  • catfyson
    Options
    Thanks for your concern everyone - I used to take glucose tablets but they made it worse. I think I will embrace a healthier lifestyle and if I'm still suffering, I'll go back to the docs for a second opinion. I do genuinely think it's just because I don't eat particularly healthy - but hopefully MFP will help with that!

I just did the blood test, docs said the other test wasnt worth doing.
  • catfyson
    Options
    Hello all!

Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice. I've found since counting my calories, I have found it a lot easier to avoid the 'shakes'. I do struggle a bit at work because I work long hours and have to allocate time to go out and buy lunch (which is often not much time and therefore I usually grab whatever I can, which is not always the best for me!). I could bring lunch in, but to be honest, I enjoy the time out of the office!
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice. I've found since counting my calories, I have found it a lot easier to avoid the 'shakes'. I do struggle a bit at work because I work long hours and have to allocate time to go out and buy lunch (which is often not much time and therefore I usually grab whatever I can, which is not always the best for me!). I could bring lunch in, but to be honest, I enjoy the time out of the office!

Pack your lunch and leave the office to eat it. Has to be a nice bench or park near by. Even if there is not then even sitting outside on a lawn chair is still a nice break from the office and you still get to eat right.