Gear

Options
Just curious, anyone care to share their favorite fitness gear or favorite brand for their specific sport/ exercise? My rule is: Never buy retail price! Because man, athletic gear does not come cheap, and I think it gets pretty ridiculous at times! So I'll get my stuff at places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, BCF, and have found some great finds.

I pretty much stick with Underarmour (gotta represent--if you are a fellow Terp/Marylander you will probably know why!), Adidas Climacool line (got my climacool ride trail's for running/walking oh and the SOCKS!). I have one long-sleeve Nike combat shirt, but reserve that for the winter time, thinking about trying the Nike Pegasus running shoe series in the near future. I am an underpronator so it's been kind of hard looking for uber lightweight flexible shoes...But overall, I've felt that Underarmour and Adidas has helped me the most, performance and comfort wise.

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have worked HARD for this body, so I want to look cute at the gym, so it's all lululemon for me! I also have some lingering Nike outfits from my pre-lulu times that I still like, though. Lulu is cute and of excellent quality - it wicks like nobody's business! Also, the tops have built in support bras, so I don't have to add a sports bra, too. And did I mention they're cute?!?!? ;)
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    For the Brits among us...

For zumba, I wear black cropped leggings and black fitted gymwear from Peacocks (I'm of the school of thinking that if it's going to be soaked in sweat and chucked in the washing machine every day, it's not going to be pricey). It's been interesting to see how my gym clothes have become more fitted as I've shrunk - I used to drown myself in giant mens' t-shirts.

Where I will spend a bit more money is on sports bras - I used to be a 38F, and am still a non-inconsiderable 34E. I swear by Marks and Spencer sports bras (particularly this model: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Extra-Impact-Underwired-Racerback-Sports/dp/B00558M9OC?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_8&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-8&qid=1335115022&pf_rd_r=1AGVMY411B4ETHDNWDAZ&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3) as honestly, I can jump around like a salsa-infused loon in zumba and they barely move.

I wear Nike Musiques for zumba, and just a pair of Reebok running shoes for the gym.
  • mjuszczec
    mjuszczec Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy at the gym who looks like he gets his workout clothes at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Because I do.

I used to train at a traditional karate school and had to buy relatively expensive uniforms that would get abused thru normal training and last about a year.

It used to just bug me that I was paying alot of money for uniforms that wouldn't last and have you ever tried getting bloodstains out of white canvas?

I run my own program now, and I'd rather spend the money on good protective gear than just about anything else.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy at the gym who looks like he gets his workout clothes at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Because I do.

I used to train at a traditional karate school and had to buy relatively expensive uniforms that would get abused thru normal training and last about a year.

It used to just bug me that I was paying alot of money for uniforms that wouldn't last and have you ever tried getting bloodstains out of white canvas?

I run my own program now, and I'd rather spend the money on good protective gear than just about anything else.

This. Is. A. FANTASTIC. Idea!!!
  • runmybunsoff
    Options

Where I will spend a bit more money is on sports bras - I used to be a 38F, and am still a non-inconsiderable 34E. I swear by Marks and Spencer sports bras (particularly this model: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Extra-Impact-Underwired-Racerback-Sports/dp/B00558M9OC?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_8&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-8&qid=1335115022&pf_rd_r=1AGVMY411B4ETHDNWDAZ&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3) as honestly, I can jump around like a salsa-infused loon in zumba and they barely move.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have the same problem with sports bras--- and I have to layer two at once sometimes. It get's the job done but can get even heavier with all of the sweat. Definitely want to invest in some good quality ones, that's for sure.
  • runmybunsoff
    Options
    I have worked HARD for this body, so I want to look cute at the gym, so it's all lululemon for me! I also have some lingering Nike outfits from my pre-lulu times that I still like, though. Lulu is cute and of excellent quality - it wicks like nobody's business! Also, the tops have built in support bras, so I don't have to add a sports bra, too. And did I mention they're cute?!?!? ;)

There's been a lulemon that opened a while back in my town and I still have not walked into it yet. Love those wicking fabrics, I'll have to go check that place out~
  • mjuszczec
    mjuszczec Posts: 12 Member
    Options

(rest deleted for bevity)

This. Is. A. FANTASTIC. Idea!!!

Thank you. Ummmmmm, which one? The Goodwill thing or running my own program?

Just curious. Whenever I get that strong of a response to something I wrote, I get really interested in what/why.
  • runmybunsoff
    Options
    Sorry, i am new to the quoting thing on here, LOL. Specifically meant to say the salvation army idea is. as is your program though, way to be!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i buy whatever fits haha. i own lots of Nike, adidas, and old navy stuff.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I also check TJ Maxx & Marshall's for deals on the brand name stuff. Really love it when I get it on clearance! I've also scored a few deals at thrift stores - you never know what you'll find there. Most times the fitness stuff I find is pretty thrashed, but occasionally find something in great shape.

I got my current Asics running shoes at Costco for about $35 - and I'm still kicking myself for not buying two pair! :grumble: They no longer have them, guess they were clearing them out.

Recently discovered Old Navy for fitness gear - tried a couple of their sports bras and I really like them - especially for running. Great price too - they are normally around $16, but got a couple on sale for $10 each. My other favorite sports bra source is Target! I like the Champion compression bras, and I think they are on sale this week for $12.99 - regular price is $14.99 (I think).
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Gym: Adidas Climacool, Nike (pants-the Legend series), Running Room (tops)
    Hiking: Arcteryx, Icebreaker
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just curious, anyone care to share their favorite fitness gear or favorite brand for their specific sport/ exercise? My rule is: Never buy retail price! Because man, athletic gear does not come cheap, and I think it gets pretty ridiculous at times! So I'll get my stuff at places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, BCF, and have found some great finds.

I pretty much stick with Underarmour (gotta represent--if you are a fellow Terp/Marylander you will probably know why!), Adidas Climacool line (got my climacool ride trail's for running/walking oh and the SOCKS!). I have one long-sleeve Nike combat shirt, but reserve that for the winter time, thinking about trying the Nike Pegasus running shoe series in the near future. I am an underpronator so it's been kind of hard looking for uber lightweight flexible shoes...But overall, I've felt that Underarmour and Adidas has helped me the most, performance and comfort wise.

We have a massive Sports Direct warehouse about five miles from where we live, I go there once per year, pick up loads of training bottoms, crop tops and teeshirts and that does me for the year lol.

I bought five zip-up hoodies for running the other day on Amazon too, £9.99 each, they will last me for a long time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With the exception of shoes (I stick with what I know works for me) whatever is on sale when I need something.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i get the majority of my tshirts and lifting stuff from elitefts.com

usually wear cheap 5-10 dollar shorts. and chuck taylors.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I wear my race tshirts at the gym when i lift.

The most invaluable piece of gear out there is compression underwear. Distance runners will know what im saying!
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My other favorite sports bra source is Target! I like the Champion compression bras, and I think they are on sale this week for $12.99 - regular price is $14.99 (I think).

I was just about to say this! All of my workout gear has come from Target. A couple months ago I decided to splurge & buy myself all new workout stuff, because I barely ever get new things. I live in an apartment & we only go to the laundromat every two weeks, so I have enough workout shirts for 2 weeks (about 12 days) of working out. I have a couple old t-shirts that I use as workout shirts, but mainly now everything is from Target's Champion line. I try to get stuff on clearance or on sale, but all my shirts are the $9.99 shirts... cute, functional, cheap, and the regular cotton (read: non-wicking) fabric really doesn't bother me. I can handle being soaked in my own sweat for an hour at a time!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I really like the nike dri-fit tops. They are some of the only workout shirts that don't turn into a midriff on a tall guy.

Haven't found pants long enough yet that also don't have a huge waistline.