Small Steps - Beating the Drive Thru Addiction

Options
So, I realized about a month ago, that I had not gone a month without eating fast food (through a drive thru, no less), for... well, most of my life. I've been eating fast food on a weekly basis since I was old enough to gum chicken nuggets. My family is notorious for it, and I have a TON of family memories tied around going through drive thrus, good and bad.

And I realized something about myself when I stared down at the mountain of fast food bags on the passenger side floor of my car (that no one was allowed into because it was a horrible, HORRIBLE mess). I realized that I would eat the food and leave the wrappers in my car so my fiance, who is incredibly supportive and trying to help me get healthy, wouldn't see how much I was sabotaging myself.

I had a small panic attack when I realized I have several symptoms of an eating disorder. And I decided, (2 years of therapy under my belt) that I was finally REALLY going to do something about it. And that I finally have the POWER to do something about it.

My goal for the month of April is to go an entire month without going to a fast food restaurant, specifically through drive thrus but also no going into the lobby and ordering a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese and a large fry on a tray and calling it a success.

It's April 23rd, and so far so good. I have had moments when I was tempted. And I'm counting the days until the end of the month. NOT because I'm going to run out May 1st and go through the drive thru again (and let's face it, my stomach would probably turn into a pile of acidic nauseous goo if I did). But because I am so excited that I'm finally following through with a goal.

Replies

• HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal to have, yes, the end of the Month is quickly approaching :) Great work and stick with it!
  • NicoleG_86
    NicoleG_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome accomplishment! By doing this food log for some weeks now, I have noticed a trend with sugar and empty carbs. I am working toward one clean week (I don't really know if I can do a whole month at a time!). You are an awesome inspiration though. Thanks for sharing this!
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well done! Addiction is hard cycle to break, there are cravings and habits to deal with giving up. I was a compulsive eater 10 years ago and I still occasionally have set backs. The good part is that one set back doesn't completely derail me like it used to. It isn't just about tomorrow being another day, but more "60 seconds brings a new minute". Keep up the great work and keep loving yourself, you deserve it!
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Only a few days left!

I was a fast food junkie also. I still occasionally eat fast food but it's always the more healthy (although filled with sodium) grilled stuff instead of the fried crap. My worst times were when driving to/from work as I have an hour plus commute each way. One thing that helped was always putting my wallet in the trunk before leaving home or work. I'm too lazy to pull over and get out of the car to get it out of the trunk so I just did without stopping. I don't do that as much any more and I sometimes have cravings for fast food but I've been able to ignore the cravings pretty well lately.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!