Dealing with negativity towards my weight.

Options
First off I don't want this to end up as a bash fest or go negatively towards anyone.
I was thinking of possibly joining the National Guard after I finish getting my B.A. but when I checked their qualifications I'm way out of shape and too overweight to join. So I was looking around their forums to see if I could find out if they were willing to help you get to where you need to be in order to join. All I saw were people saying we shouldn't be able to join and that overweight or obese people are just lazy or don't care. What I want to know is just how to deal with this? Not just the people in the Guard, but anywhere that people just assuming I'm lazy and dismiss me because I'm overweight. I want to fix it and I'm working to lose weight and get into shape. It's just a bit of a bummer when people don't understand each other and don't bother to try.
Again, I'm not trying to bash, or incite bashing, so please don't.

Replies

• amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think people will always have a negative opinion of over weight people,unless they are in that situation they have no idea what it's like to be over weight or under what conditions someone became over weight,so just ignore them.People are ignorant when it comes to judging others.Don't let it get you down!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who think like that, and aren't afraid to say so. (I always hope that they're the ones who never had to worry about what they ate/how much they moved, and then suddenly, years of abuse will creep up on them in later-life, and they'll know how it feels!). The only thing you can feasibly do is a) ignore them - you know the truth even if they don't, and b) prove them wrong by getting yourself to the point where you meet the requirements, if that's what you want to do. Good luck!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    All I can say is YOU CAN PROVE THESE PEOPLE WRONG!!! I know that if you want anything bad enough you can do it!!!
  • melanieduvall
    Options
    My son went thru the same thing when wanting to join the Marine Corp. He was about 50lbs overweight. He was constantly made fun of in school and bullied. But his recruiter knew he had the determination and he worked out with him several days a week for 6 months till he fit their charts. Now he's been a Marine for 3 years and weighs in at a slim 175. Don't be discouraged by the negativity. Just make it your goal and you will succeed! Best of luck to you!
  • godzillaman2
    godzillaman2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know how you feel. I find people assume that if you are overweight you must be in denial and that you eat tons of crap. Sometimes it's just small amounts of unhealthy eating or not being active that add up. It took me 4 years to put on 50 pounds, not overnight by eating mickeys D's 3 times a day. I don't really know what you could tell them. I try to ignore it now, and think how boss I'm going to look. I found that pictures of my ideal body as a slideshow help when I'm down. Not much else I can say. Sorry if that didn't really help.
  • michelechavez
    Options
    I was reading something last night that said all it takes to gain 50 pounds over 5 years is to eat the equivalent of one 100-calorie cookie extra a day. It's a myth that everyone overweight is lazy and don't care, just like it's a myth to say that all cyclists don't stop at stop signs.

When I see someone extremely obese in the grocery store, I try to think, "That person may have lost 100 pounds already and really be working hard to lose more weight, so who am I to judge them?" None of us know what other people have gone through or are going through.

Ignore unsupportive people and keep working towards your goals. You obviously care a whole lot and are anything but lazy or you wouldn't be here and you certainly wouldn't be working on your college degree.

Keep up all your positive efforts and don't let what others say or think deter you.
  • bmblair041
    bmblair041 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My son went thru the same thing when wanting to join the Marine Corp. He was about 50lbs overweight. He was constantly made fun of in school and bullied. But his recruiter knew he had the determination and he worked out with him several days a week for 6 months till he fit their charts. Now he's been a Marine for 3 years and weighs in at a slim 175. Don't be discouraged by the negativity. Just make it your goal and you will succeed! Best of luck to you!

So then some recruiters will work with you? I couldn't find an answer cause I just had to close down the page. The negativity was harshing my mellow.
  • wingsandgills
    wingsandgills Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It is very sad that there are so many misconceptions about overweight folks. No one is in a position to negatively judge another person. We don't know what's going on in others' lives.

How to deal with it, though? Since most of these people are strangers, my best advice is to focus on approving of and liking yourself regardless of commentary you see/hear. You can't stop people from being malicious or judgmental, and there will be people around to make fun of just about everything you can think of. These people are trash-talking fat people, but others will make fun of clothing styles, musical tastes, ethnic backgrounds, political positions, religious beliefs or the lack thereof, and onward ad nauseum.

There is nothing to do but to embrace yourself and remember what you KNOW, which is that you are a great person and deviating from society's expectations for weight or anything else does not make a person bad.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    First off, that really sucks that people on the National Guard's forums were just like "FAT=LAZY" that's really rude.
    Second, I'd go to your local National Guard office. They should be able to help you out by offering a diet plan or something, I mean they wouldn't turn away an overweight yet willing American who wants to help out his country.
    And lastly, I get what you are saying. I've had people tell me I used to be so lazy. I'm like "Just because I choose to work out now, doesn't mean I'm not lazy." I'm a total laze about the house on my days off kinda person. BUT because I hit the gym and have made progress it seemed to change the stigma of what those around me thought before. I think that a skinny or thin or "normal" person can be just as lazy or even lazier than an overweight person. And there are many overweight people who are super busy but still pack on the pounds because they are stressed at their job or something. Every body is different and everyone's level of laziness doesn't always go hand in hand with how much they weigh.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think any military type organization is going to require you to be relatively fit prior to joining. Your body is going to have to support you in alot of physically challenging situations. I don't believe it's a personnel issue, more like simple physics.

If your tasked to do a 600 meter rundown and then do a live fire drill at a moving target, trust me, your going to want to be in shape. It's just physics, you have to be lean and mean to accomplish the task.

You have lost 4 pounds already, stay focused, use your MFP friends to help you get to your goal weight. You can do this. :wink:
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    That really sucks that people who probably have never been in your situation or over weight in their life are making/posting comments like that and it made you feel bad about yourself... I say just don't pay it any mind....

I was active duty AF for some years and now I'm in the AF reserves; and I will say that the military is tightening up the requirements of physical fitness whereas before they weren't so strict with it... So my advice to you would be to just work towards meeting the minimum physical requirements that you need and not worry about what's being said out there... Do what you need to do so that you can join the guard since that’s what you want to do…
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    First off I don't want this to end up as a bash fest or go negatively towards anyone.
    I was thinking of possibly joining the National Guard after I finish getting my B.A. but when I checked their qualifications I'm way out of shape and too overweight to join. So I was looking around their forums to see if I could find out if they were willing to help you get to where you need to be in order to join. All I saw were people saying we shouldn't be able to join and that overweight or obese people are just lazy or don't care. What I want to know is just how to deal with this? Not just the people in the Guard, but anywhere that people just assuming I'm lazy and dismiss me because I'm overweight. I want to fix it and I'm working to lose weight and get into shape. It's just a bit of a bummer when people don't understand each other and don't bother to try.
    Again, I'm not trying to bash, or incite bashing, so please don't.

Try to rise above this one, this is frustrating you so much because you obviously aren't some callous jerk. Fix into your mind the law of attraction, and how it is already working in your life. People are attracted to energy, and you are clearly on a path that is bringing up your energy.

I am not a particularly religious gal, but I do find this sound bite helpful when I am ticked or feeling like people are against me. It may help you reframe your thoughts right now :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cuTnOwB8U
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    Yep, don't let other's negativity stop you from doing what you want.. I enjoyed my time in the Navy, but everywhere I went I encountered people (both good and bad) who thought they knew Americans.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I was reading something last night that said all it takes to gain 50 pounds over 5 years is to eat the equivalent of one 100-calorie cookie extra a day.

365 * 5 = 1,825 days
    100 calories * 1825 days = 182,500 calories extra
    Calories in a pound of body fat = ~3500

182,500 / 3500 = 52.1 pounds

Yep. Watch those cookies!
  • melanieduvall
    Options
    My son's recruiter did. He was wonderful. He still stays in touch with him after all this time. I'm sure recruiters like that are rare, but there certainly needs to be more like him. Don't give up!
  • bmblair041
    Options
    I think any military type organization is going to require you to be relatively fit prior to joining. Your body is going to have to support you in alot of physically challenging situations. I don't believe it's a personnel issue, more like simple physics.

If your tasked to do a 600 meter rundown and then do a live fire drill at a moving target, trust me, your going to want to be in shape. It's just physics, you have to be lean and mean to accomplish the task.

You have lost 4 pounds already, stay focused, use your MFP friends to help you get to your goal weight. You can do this. :wink:

Yeah, I mean I have no problem with their strict physical requirements. I mean it makes sense, I wouldn't trust me much as I am now since I'd probably struggle to run a mile or two. So it makes sense and I agree with them.
    I'm all for working hard to rise to the challenge. I like a challenge. It's the whole changing my lifestyle I've had for 22 years that's the hard part. I know that if I push hard enough I can do it. Most of my family and teachers thought I wouldn't graduate from high school or even get into college and that just spurs me to shove and rub their noses in it when I do.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Not having read the whole thread, I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth.

People who have never been overweight (or obese) do not understand what it is to be overweight. A lot of us did not choose this fate. Could we have been more proactive about preventing it? Sure, but it doesn't mean we are lazy. The lazy ones are the ones who choose to do nothing at all. If you are actively trying to lose weight, and get in shape, there is no way you could be considered lazy. Just made some poor choices in the past. This is like trying to tell someone who is disabled that they are lazy. We don't know the circumstances of their situation. Perhaps they are lazy, but we don't have the right to judge (in theory).

I will say there are plenty of overweight people who are also lazy. But don't consider yourself among them, you are obviously trying to do the right thing!
  • bmblair041
    Options
    My son's recruiter did. He was wonderful. He still stays in touch with him after all this time. I'm sure recruiters like that are rare, but there certainly needs to be more like him. Don't give up!

This is great to hear. And I imagine if I don't find a recruiter I like, I can keep looking for one that is a decent person.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Other people's thoughts, comments and feelings about your weight only have as much power as you let them. You are a beautiful individual just the way you are. If you are on this journey to be healthier and thinner then that's great. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up. All the power is in YOUR HANDS.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Because some people can only make themselves feel good by making other people feel bad?

And, also, to put it very bluntly how the thought process often goes - whether this is "right" or "wrong" is a whole other issue:

Because, while not all overweight people are lazy, being overweight is a preventable condition in all but a few cases, and being overweight is a sign that you cannot take the time to take care of the most important thing you'll ever have - your health - and why should I trust you to have the ambition to forward the cause of my business when you can't or won't even take care of the most important thing in your own life?

^^^^ Let me reiterate, this is not how I *want* to think about overweight people, but this is an opinion I have heard many times in the past, both expressly and implied, and both from potential employers when I was very overweight and co-workers considering employing someone who is obese. It's also a thought process I had to consciously prevent myself from going down when I used to make hiring decisions.

Regardless of "why" people hate on overweight people, there are so many other benefits to losing weight (you can do more things, you'll tend to live longer) that it's a reward in and of itself. Ignorant *kitten* avoidance is a minor bonus.