LANGUAGES

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    English, Afrikaans, German, Dutch, a little bit of Zulu and SeSotho.
    I'm just about to start a Spanish course.
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    English, Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew, and I can read French and Yiddish.
    I can say a few phrases in Arabic too, but my accent is terrible!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    English, Turkish and Japanese, used to speak Italian but have forgotten everything
  • amksmk
    amksmk Posts: 40
    Options
    english
    urdu
    french

and i have a working knowledge of bosnian and arabic :)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    English, German, Spanish, and French (all that comes from growing up in the US with a German mom, that moved to France, and my living in S. America, and of course, studying all that in schools).
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    English, german/swiss german, french! :wink:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Scots, English & Dutch - native speaker :smokin:

German & Swedish - fluent :happy:

French, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian & Danish - reading comprehension is good, but I'm not confident enough in aural and oral comprehension :ohwell:

I'm trying to learn Turkish as I've fallen in love with the country after having visited last summer. I did try and learn some Greek too a few years ago, for the same reason, but I haven't got enough time to dedicate to language acquisition nowadays :frown:

I used to be able to speak Russian fluently, but sadly have forgotten most of what I learnt when I was in my early 20s :noway:

I'm a bit of a linguistic sponge and in the right environment, I pick up languages very easily. I also have a good ear for accents too :laugh:
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    English - native
    French - fluent
    German - fluent (well almost :tongue: hopefully by the end of my degree! :)
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    English and Spanish as official languages................spanglish and ebonics, as needed (I work with kids from various backgrounds, so I have to understand them in order to teach them to understand me).................sarcasm and b!tch as provoked

Oh, and as much as I hated French in school, I almost feel compelled to try again, just to say I know it.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    English, Italian, French (though somewhat limited vocabulary in the latter - philosophical discussions would be challenging!). Adequate, but fairly basic German, a smattering of Spanish and Russian (I understand a lot more than I can say), and a few words in a dozen or so others. I love languages, and tend to pick them up easily, when in the right environment. My next linguistic goals are to achieve fluency in German and more communicative ability in Russian. Then, I'd like to start on Czech and one of the Nordic languages.

Oh, and Latin, I guess, though I'd hardly call myself a latin-speaker:laugh: Doesn't really work when there's no-one living to speak it to!
  • gazgirl
    gazgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chaldean (Aramaic) is my first language, English, Arabic, Kurdish and almost fluent Turkish. also I took a Spanish course in college.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    English and French. My wife knows Manadrin, Korean, English and Spanish.
  • Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fluent in Finnish (native) and English. I also know Swedish and German, though I'm much better at listening/reading than speaking/writing.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I forgot Latin!
  • SoapyPonyLevine
    SoapyPonyLevine Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    English and French!! x
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    English, Tagalog (Philippine language) , little Spanish and basic Chinese!:D
  • JamesOfLondon
    JamesOfLondon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not claiming fluency (beyond English), but I have reasonable Russian and Japanese from living in both places.

My Russians better - I'm way out of practice with my Japanese.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    English, native language
    French, fluent
    German, a bit
    Norwegian, listening and reading mostly
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    ENGLISH/SPANISH
  • Por2gueseMama