WAH! Why aren't I losing anything?!

Options
I've been busting my butt over the last two weeks both at the gym and in my diet- and according the scale I have only lost ONE POUND. :sad:

I'm talking spinning classes, running 30 minutes; and eating around 975 calories a day- that kind of busting my butt.

Am I being too impatient? Or should I try to change something up in my diet?

I mean, is it possible NOT to lose weight with this kind of diet/workout regimen??

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    oddly enough you may not be eating enough.

otherwise i couldnt tell ya. I havent really lost anything and ive been doin this since late june :sad:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I've been busting my butt over the last two weeks both at the gym and in my diet- and according the scale I have only lost ONE POUND. :sad:

I'm talking spinning classes, running 30 minutes; and eating around 975 calories a day- that kind of busting my butt.

Am I being too impatient? Or should I try to change something up in my diet?

I mean, is it possible NOT to lose weight with this kind of diet/workout regimen??
    Your only eating 975 calories a day?? .... i have heard alot that the minimum for a women is 1200 calories
  • Veronica320
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle? It weighs more than fat. I would give it some more time to really check your results. Keep up the hard work!

Edit: Just saw your calorie intake, you might be in "Starvation Mode", might wanna switch up the diet
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    you sound like you're exercising and not meeting nutritional needs.

someone as active as you should be eating anywhere from 1200-1500kcals/day.

try increasing your intake, see what happens.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You could be in starvation mode.
  • mamiej
    Options
    so eating more calories will help me lose? Is my body hanging onto stuff because it is not getting enough?
  • lauraswc
    Options
    You probably need to eat more! I know that's not fun to hear, but I've done the same thing. What ends up happening is your body is storing fat because it thinks you're starving it. Of course, I don't know how much you weigh, but fitnesspal will tell you how approximately how many calories to eat. You can lessen that by a hundred or so, but it's really pretty right on for how much to eat for maximum weightloss. If you don't eat enough, you won't lose weight.
  • arleneevans
    Options
    you really need to eat more calories
  • zaksgirl
    Options
    A big factor that most people don't consider is their salt intake. I agree that you should eat more, but also monitor the amount of sodium you are consuming. I was eating 1500 calories a day, exercising for at least an hour 6 days a week, and didn't lose a pound. I went back and looked at my sodium intake from someone advising me to, and on some days I was eating 4500 mg of sodium! You should have no more than 2300 a day, but shoot for 2000mg.
  • mamiej
    Options
    ooh. great advice about the sodium. I'll start watching that.

and I'll take the calories back up to the 1200 range.

Thanks for so much quick advice!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    so eating more calories will help me lose? Is my body hanging onto stuff because it is not getting enough?

You should be eating a MINIMUM of 1200 calories per day NOT INCLUDING exercise calories. If you use MFP or another online calculator to determine calories burned, I'd recommend eating about 50%. If you use a heart rate monitor, anywhere from 75-100% of the exercise calories.

When you eat too little your body feels like your starving it so it conserves food--eg turns it to fat. SInce what you want is to burn fat and calories the last thing you need to is to make your body think that storing fat is a good idea! There have been lots of threads of starvation mode if you want a more detailed explanation of it--a lot from people who found that when they increased their daily calories they began to lose weight!
  • finallyproud
    finallyproud Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You should definately be eating 1200 calories a day if you don't exercise..and on the days you do exercise you should eat more then that. Everyone will tell you to eat your exercise calories, but usually I only eat about half of them and it still works for me. Hope that helps :heart:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to be eating more. You are starving yourself and your body is very confused when you do this. The only way to burn fat is to fuel your body. You are going to lose valuable muscle by not eating enough even with the exercise. Not good. Eat more and keep going with the exercise - this is how we speed up our metabolism - by EATING... good luck! :bigsmile:
  • dreadre82
    Options
    When your body doesn't get enough food it starts to store nutrients, so that you do not starve. Eat more food, but be sure to break it down into small meals and snacks throughout the day. This way your body will begin to use what you eat instead of storing it.

Another thing that could cause your weight not to change is when your fat turns to muscle. Muscle weighs more that fat, so if you are gaining mass that is actually a good thing. Don't get caught up in the numbers on the scale. We all want that smaller dress or pant size, but being healthy is key and everything else will fall into place.

Good Luck! :o)
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Sweety 975 calories your body is starving and depending on how long you been going like this everything you eat could be storing as fat try to eat atleast 1200 calories like these other ladies has suggested:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Echo echo echo....

Raised my calories 800 + binges to 1200 steady and finally at 1450 I started losing...AND I eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories. Sounds strange huh? But it is true.
  • lunamom
    lunamom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You often hear muscle weighs more than fat, but think of it this way - if you place an ounce of muscle next to an ounce of fat, the fat pile will be much larger, because muscle is more dense. So the goal is to reduce fat and increase muscle mass which may not show up in weight loss (at least not right away). My advice is not to put so much emphasis on weight. I followed a 1200 calorie diet and exercised 6 days a week and after 3 weeks lost about 2 pounds. Aargh. But, I have a scale that also measures % body fat and found that I had reduced body fat by about 3 %. Yay! I also reduced my metabolic age by 9 years! This helped me to deal with the fact that I hadn't really lost any weight. Now 40 days in, I have lost a total of 10 pounds and body fat, as well as inches, continues to drop. That's the kind of encouragement I need to keep going. So, perhaps it will help to think of it in different terms :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sorry to post again so soon, but yes to Lunamom :smile: . Even though I didn't really start losing much for about a month (while I adjusted my calories) I dropped two full sizes.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Echo echo echo....

Raised my calories 800 + binges to 1200 steady and finally at 1450 I started losing...AND I eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories. Sounds strange huh? But it is true.

I know this reasoning blew my mind when I first joined MFP, but it's been a godsend in making this lifestyle change doable.
  • tiatree23
    Options
    I guess mabey that is my problem. I'm not taking in enough calories. I have a mostly liquid diet. I''v lost 40 pounds since last year but it has stopped completely for the last few months. so frustrating! By the way, I'm Tia. My best friend got me on this site and I can see already why she likes it.:embarassed: