Homemade Smoothie Recipe - opinions

Options
SunKissed1989
SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
Right, so I discovered we have a hand-held blender in the house and was thinking of making my first homemade smoothie - this is just a thought as I've never made one before and it's based on what we currently have in the house.

125g pot of Strawberry Activia Yogurt
1 medium-large banana
Teaspoon of lemon juice
Teaspoon of honey (making this optional, not sure yet)

What does everyone think of this wee recipe? Other suggestions/opinions welcome :smile:

Replies

• Lovealways_cici
    Lovealways_cici Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sounds like a good one to me :) If you want a shake type smoothie you can freeze your banana (they keep longer that way too). When you blend it, it has the consistancy of icecream :o9 yummy! I just made a batch with 1 cup frozen mixed fruit, 1 cup frozen blueberries and 2 cups of whole milk, 3 tsp of Truvia (stevia). Makes about 4 big servings at aroun 120 calories per serving. Tastes like blueberry frozen yogurt! Happy smoothie making!:drinker: :drinker:
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    For freezing the banana, would I just remove the skin and put it in a container in the freezer overnight or something?

Also, if I make a batch of 4 servings, would I just keep them in bottles/a jug in the fridge? Basic questions I know, but I'm new to this whole homemade thing...
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    Bump
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    it sounds yummy what you have listed there...

as for the banana, i peel and slice mine and then put one banana in a ziploc baggie and freeze it that way. i know i'm getting one banana and can add it easily enough to my daily diary and my blender likes the pieces better than a whole frozen banana...

you can add sugar free jello to your combo, a couple of cups of raw spinach (you can.not.taste it at all), some protein powder, i add all kinds of stuff to my smoothie/shakes...love them!

enjoy!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I would totally use fat free Greek yogurt for the great protein, instead of getting the pre-strawberry mix yogurt (which has extra added sugar.
    Then put in frozen strawberries and banana.
    Skip the lemon juice.
    Add in Truvia to taste.

I make something almost daily for my family.
    I freeze the extra into popsicles.
  • SunKissed1989
    Options

I've got a chopped banana in the freezer and will go out for strawberries and greek style yogurt in the morning.

Is a smoothie best as breakfast, part of breakfast, snack, or all of the above?
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    Thanks again guys for your opinions :smile:
    Made my smoothie today - one frozen banana, a cup of strawberries, fat free greek style yogurt, a tablespoon of honey and a dash of milk - purely to thin it out a bit (twas rather thick) - DELICIOUS

IMAG0074.jpg

There were a few whole pieces of chopped strawberry still in the smoothie, but I thought it added something to it - was a lovely lunch and I'm very proud as it's my first homemade one :smile:
  • leamj87
    leamj87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Made my smoothie today - one frozen banana, a cup of strawberries, fat free greek style yogurt, a tablespoon of honey and a dash of milk - purely to thin it out a bit (twas rather thick) - DELICIOUS

IMAG0074.jpg

There were a few whole pieces of chopped strawberry still in the smoothie, but I thought it added something to it - was a lovely lunch and I'm very proud as it's my first homemade one :smile:

That's basically what I eat every morning and I love it. You can mix the fruit up too. I generally stick with a cup of strawberries, but then the second fruit gets changed based on whims while grocery shopping--I've used blackberries, raspberries, apples, pears, cantelope and bananas! Keep in mind that the berries will probably be juicier and you won't need to add milk. As well, I use two scoops of protein powder to add a little more protein powder to my day and that way it's a filling breakfast and holds me until my snack at 1030!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I do breakfast smoothies I normally add some oats too - and maybe some toasted walnuts. Delicious!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    You're on your way to a whole new world of yummy healthy smoothies!

Ditto on other poster on adding protein powder, whatever you have in the house.
    Depending on the power of your blender, you can add all sorts of things w/out noticing it (since everything is blended smooth), such as:
    - tomato
    - spinach
    - apples (including the skin)
    etc.
    Enjoy!

Amanda

• jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump..... lovin my smoothies. My current fave.... choco peanut butter banana post workout.