Working so hard, gained 4 pounds

Options

Replies

• Nancy102
    Nancy102 Posts: 7
    Options
    Fantastic!! Keep up the great work! And be sure to "allow yourself" to feel proud of yourself. :happy:
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You need to drink alot of water today. It is water retention that caused your gain. You would have had to eaten 14,000 calories to actually "gain" 4 pounds. I "gained" 3 pounds last week in 2 days. Drank tons of water, skipped working out that day and it was off the following day. Good luck!

Thank you! I think you're right.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    give it a couple of weeks but i would suggest you eat your exercise calories back, at least some of them, don't net below 1200 calories a day.

i recently upped my calories to netting 1500 a day and just since yesterday i lost 1.2 pounds :-) but i had gained a couple to start out with, just don't net below 1200 a day and you'll start to lose weight. and if you're sore you are probably retaining water.
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Also, I peeked at your food diary. Add Sodium to your trackers. I think you will be very surprised. Too much sodium will cause you to retain water. How to fix it? DRINK MORE WATER! :-)

ETA: You may be underestimating your caloric intake. The Chili's Fajitas calories don't include the fajita shells, sour cream, or pico de gallo. They include only what is in the meat/veggie mix.

And MEASURE everything. 3/4 of a cup doesn't come close to fillling my cereal bowl even though it is a "serving."

I only ate the fajita meat, grilled veggies and a mini corn tortilla. :)

I do measure my cereal and soy milk. I use a small bowl too.

Drinking water right now!!!
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories - eat your exercise calories - eat your exercise calories!!! You will lose weight initially by eating the 1200 but then your body freaks out and starts holding on to EVERYTHING - thereby making it impossible for you to lose. Eat clean, make good choices, move more! Good luck!!!

that happened to me after about the 4th week i guess, and i've lost slowly ever since and just recently i upped my calories again, hoping it jump starts my weight loss again :)
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you logging your exercise? If you are only eating 1,200 calories and not eating back any exercise calories you are not giving your body the nutrients it needs to function. Also, if you worked out yesterday then you will be retaining water today. Do not weigh the day after working out. Remember, if you are sore, you will weigh more.

this is true! I found out just this week...I went two days with no workout, weighed in and was down .8 lbs!
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice, nice words and encouragement. I paid attention to it all, will think about it and make a change. I appreciate every single post!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough.

Check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
    and http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ (keep clicking, it will get you links).

Also know that a 5lb fluctuation up or down is normal, and if you are eating a deficit, your weight "gain" is not fat gain. Your body is holding on to its water and fat because you're not fueling it.

Search the forums for "not losing weight" - there's lots of info on this exact topic. You are not alone, but it sounds like you need to make some changes to your eating/exercise to make sure you are fueling your body.
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am what I call "addicted to my scale"...lol I guess this is why they say just weigh once a week or less! But I do weigh everyday, one day I'll be up a pound, then suddenly I'm down 4 lbs. I think its water retention too. I think when people are saying to not weigh the day after, they are referring to weight lifting or something more strenuous...I don't know if you are sore after walking 4 miles, you've probably done it enough times to be able to go through your routine without having pain. It's usually when you change that you have the soreness.
    BTW, 4 miles is awesome, and 2 miles a day is a great goal! Walking is one of the best things people can do for themselves in my opinion.
    So like people said, watch the sodium (its a column you can add in one of the tools, I didn't know it was there for a while when I started MFP) and look at how much Fiber you are getting too. Protein is also important. My trainer told me to eat 1/2 my body weight in protein (grams or whatever it is measured in) a day.
    Good luck and don't give up!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do measure my cereal and soy milk. I use a small bowl too.

I applaud you on this! I don't let cereal in my house anymore because I don't use a small bowl. And I don't like to drink the milk at the end so I refill until all the milk is gone! *hangs head in shame*
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You need to drink alot of water today. It is water retention that caused your gain. You would have had to eaten 14,000 calories to actually "gain" 4 pounds.

In order "gain" four pounds in four days, you would need to eat 14,000 calories (3,500 x 4) over above your total daily energy expenditure for those four days, which you clearly haven't done. So don't stress about it. As others have suggested, it's probably just fluid retention.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your food diary, and noticed your diet is lacking in protein.
    You also seem to be eating mostly carbs. I would suggest you lower your carbs and up your protein.
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Ok, I changed the settings so I have a sodium column in my food diary. Doesn't look like I'm going over (except Saturday which I'm not surprised about). I also removed my cleaning exersise. I was seriously sore after 5 hours of cleaning though. I have a big house with a family of 6 and 4 pets. LOL!
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agree, it's definately water weight and your body thinking it's in starvation mode from not eating enough. If you are going to burn 1600 calories by walking I suggest you set your calorie intake significantly higher than just 1200.
  • carriep1234
    carriep1234 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. I was using MFP calorie burn calculator and my progress slowed, got a HRM and saw that I was actually not burning even close to what MFP said I was and when I started logging my exercise based on my HRM calorie burn I have been steadily losing weight each week.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh the day after working out.

So I can never weigh in?
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. I was using MFP calorie burn calculator and my progress slowed, got a HRM and saw that I was actually not burning even close to what MFP said I was and when I started logging my exercise based on my HRM calorie burn I have been steadily losing weight each week.

Great idea. I hadn't thought of using a HRM. I'll check into getting one. Thank you!
  • JessieArt
    Options

So I can never weigh in?

Never! LOL!

Awesome user name BTW. I love it!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options

So I can never weigh in?

If you are going to freak out over some water weight, then no. I posted this for someone who was not aware that you can weigh more from retaining water after a workout because it can be frustrating when you are doing what you are supposed to but not showing results on the scale. Judging by your current weight loss you probably already knew this.