am I calculating it wrong?

Options
I make lentil soup and it's literally lentils and water with a stock cube. Sometimes I add a bit of bacon for taste and some chillis.

I've worked out the calories for one serving is like 300 calories.

This seems really high when canned soup and other soups are 150 odd.

Does anybody else make lentil soup and how many calories do you have it down as. Advise please!

Thank you

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    How much grams of lentils ? 100 g are around 350 calories I'd say
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    hum... my lentil soup has 165 calories (lentils, tomatoes, broth and spices basically). Are you getting the lentils right ? There's a huge difference cooked/dry.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Check the # of servings you make. It probably makes way more than you think.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I added some lentils to my curry the other night and I was surprised by how many cals there were in them :sad:

Oh, and I should add that most tins of soup state cals for half a can - I honestly don't know anyone who would eat only half a tin of soup as a full meal.
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I added some lentils to my curry the other night and I was surprised by how many cals there were in them :sad:

Oh, and I should add that most tins of soup state cals for half a can - I honestly don't know anyone who would eat only half a tin of soup as a full meal.

Crazy people that's who!!! I struggle doing half a big tub thing of soup as a meal... Whole thing all the way! x
  • cavellj
    cavellj Posts: 5
    Options
    Beans and lentils are high in fiber and protein, so it would make sense that they are calorie dense foods. Fiber is a great system cleanser. It scrubs the cholesterol deposits from your arteries and flushes out impurities, and makes you feel fuller for longer, so don't get too down on yourself for eating 300 kcals worth of lentils. They are awesome for your body!
  • cavellj
    cavellj Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh, and remember, those soups in the store are FULL of sodium- which make you feel bloated and unhappy. When you make your own soup at home, you can control how much salt you're adding.