100% Whole Wheat Bread

Options
I keep getting mixed signals. I thought whole wheat bread was good but recently I keep hearing that its bad. What's the real deal?

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I know it's better than white but I too have been hearing some bad reports on wheat and I also am not sure of what's good or bad to use, I also hear that more people are allergic to wheat than any other grain
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    All bread is made of carbohyrate molecules ("sugar").

Indeed, bread is 50% carbohydrate molecules. So for example if you eat 100 grams of bread, you have eaten 50 grams of pure carbohydrate molecules.

There is absolutely no difference, whatsoever, between different types of bread. Croissants, baguette, wonder bread, whole wheat organic multivitamin sourdough - whatever.

There is utterly no difference.

It's all exactly the same ... bread is 50% carbohydrate.

If you are trying to lose body fat, the essential thing is to slash your carbohydrate intake. Foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, fruit, rice are basically "all carbohydrates".

(It goes without saying that candy, soft drinks, etc, are all carbohydrate.)

Again, regarding the different types of bread, there is no difference whatsoever.

Carefully weigh ANY bred you eat, and cut the figure in half to learn the carbohydrate grams. So, 40 grams of bread is 20 grams of pure carbohydrate (it makes absolutely no difference what type of bread -- white, brown, whatever).

Hope it helps!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From a medical standpoint, it is good unless you have problems digesting gluten (a protein found in wheat). Many people on MFP are into "clean eating" which can have a variety of definitions but most clean eaters don't consider bread to be "clean" because the grains are too processed.

While clean eating sounds good, there really isn't any clinical evidence that it will make you live longer or healthier than eating healthy foods such as 100% whole wheat bread.

And then there is the Paleo crowd who shuns all grains. And the low-carb crowd who avoid breads because of the carbs.

So, I'm sure you do get a lot of mixed signals on MFP about it. But if you are eating it, having no digestive problems and losing weight, then there is no reason other then personal preference to stop.
  • Rheaethan
    Rheaethan Posts: 16
    Options
    That does help. I am trying to lose 30 pounds but I don't necessarily want to be on a no or low-carb diet. Is it necessary? I am Filipino so I eat rice almost everyday at dinner. I have replaced white rice with brown rice because I hear that its healthier. For most lunches, I get lean cuisines or something similar with pasta and shrimp that does not go over 260 calories.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i will tell u one thing lol i bought a loaf of wheat bread and gained LMAO ...i havent bought a loaf in a LONG time..and so i got the brght idea to make sandwiches to save money....epic failure!..i do better with pasta and veggies than consuming bread of anytype unless its a tortilla
  • bcattoes
    Options
    For weight loss the only thing necessary is a calorie deficit. All the rest is personal preference or personal need based on some medical condition or disease.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat prevent some vitamins and minerals to be absorbed, so eating them always is not a pertinent choice I'd say :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    \ But if you are eating it, having no digestive problems and losing weight, then there is no reason other then personal preference to stop.

^ Ultimately this is all that really matters.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Whole wheat prevent some vitamins and minerals to be absorbed, so eating them always is not a pertinent choice I'd say :)

Spinach prevents some nutrients from being absorbed, too. Many foods do. That doesn't make them unhealthy.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That does help. I am trying to lose 30 pounds but I don't necessarily want to be on a no or low-carb diet. Is it necessary? I am Filipino so I eat rice almost everyday at dinner. I have replaced white rice with brown rice because I hear that its healthier. For most lunches, I get lean cuisines or something similar with pasta and shrimp that does not go over 260 calories.

Brown rice, like other whole grains, is metabolized more slowly than white rice. As a result, it usually doesn't spike your blood sugar the way that white rice (or white bread) can and may leave you feeling full longer (or at least not feeling like you want to eat something), so you snack less and it's easier to stay on your plan.
  • Barrett18
    Barrett18 Posts: 16
    Options
    Whole wheat bread has more fiber in it that white bread. If you like eating bread and are trying to lose weight, then whole wheat is better for you. The fiber in whole wheat bread keeps things moving through your digestive system and doesn't allow for as many of the carbs to be broken down into simple sugars. White bread on the other hand can "plug" a person up because it doesn't have the right fiber in it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread spikes your sugar level worse than white bread does.

Wheat has changed dramatically in the past fifty years under the influence of agricultural scientists. Wheat strains have been hybridized, crossbred, and introgressed to make the wheat plant resistant to environmental conditions, such as drought, or pathogens, such as fungi. But most of all, genetic changes have been induced to increase yield per acre. Such enormous strides in yield have required drastic changes in genetic code. Such fundamental genetic changes have come at a price.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm?source=search&key=wheat bread
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

Spinach prevents some nutrients from being absorbed, too. Many foods do. That doesn't make them unhealthy.

I never said that was unhealthy, just not pertinent :wink:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

And that's the inherent issue by labelling foods healthy and unhealthy. Foods aren't unhealthy and healthy. Only diets.
  • Rheaethan
    Rheaethan Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I don't eat bread much so it doesn't seem like it will be a problem.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wheat has more nutrients than white bread, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. When you eat wheat bread, you're getting tons of rapidly digested carbs, which lead to unhealthy spikes in blood sugar and insulin. Fortunately you do get some vitamins and minerals along with the bread b/c it's whole wheat instead of nutritionally void white bread. If you're trying to lose weight, then don't eat lots of bread. You can have some of course if you really like it, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's health food.

I've found it's a lot easier to stick to my daily caloric goals when I minimize bread/pasta/rice.
  • LASHAY429
    LASHAY429 Posts: 13
    Options
    WOW I LEARND SOMETHING NEW TODAY THANKS
  • Urquharte
    Urquharte Posts: 13
    Options
    If you're looking for a tasty, low carb bread, I suggest ordering from Julian Bakery. (www.julianbakery.com) They have several options available. It is pricey, but it is tasty! I can usually make a loaf go pretty far because I don't eat it every day. Just a suggestion for anyone on carb restrictions like myself!
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's better than white- but white bread is one of the WORST foods you could eat, so it's not such a great comparison. I have cut it out completely from my diet- it's been less than 4 months and Ive lost 31 lbs. Any time I would have had bread (ie. sandwich) I just substitute with a salad. ESPECIALLY in restaurants for burgers and stuff I say "no bun please, and instead of the fries can I have a side salad w/out dressing?" I have NEVER been told no. I even got away with this at the fajita place w/the tortillas - they offered me whole wheat and I said if it's ok I'd rather have the salad. Now they know me and I don't even need to ask.
    I don't miss bread at all! (The only carbs I eat come from veggies, and I eat a lot of them)