Losing weight, but shape still bothersome

Options
I'm not sure if I'm posting this question to the correct forum, but here it goes anyway. I've lost 20 pounds, and I still have about 20 to go to be at my goal weight. Current stats: 5'2", 147 lbs, approximate size 10/12 (I've got hips and a booty). My problem is that even though my weight is going down, I'm still not happy with the shape. I look lumpy instead of smooth. I've heard that "abs are made in the kitchen" and that you can't spot reduce, so is there anything (short of surgery) to do to smooth things out and not look lumpy?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this question to the correct forum, but here it goes anyway. I've lost 20 pounds, and I still have about 20 to go to be at my goal weight. Current stats: 5'2", 147 lbs, approximate size 10/12 (I've got hips and a booty). My problem is that even though my weight is going down, I'm still not happy with the shape. I look lumpy instead of smooth. I've heard that "abs are made in the kitchen" and that you can't spot reduce, so is there anything (short of surgery) to do to smooth things out and not look lumpy?

I did 30DS and saw A LOT of improvement in shape. I lost 13 total inches and look a lot better. Now i'm doing Ripped in 30
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    WOW, you eat out a lot.
    Have you considered planing meals for the week & cooking healthy meals at home. :smile:
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do eat out a lot. However, it's not the weight loss that's the problem. I've been losing weight. I'm more concerned about the shape of my body. Even though my weight is going down and I'm getting thinner, it's the shape that I"m having a problem with.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Lifting would help. You can use lifting to help with shaping too. For example I'm a pear, so I work my shoulders, back, and arms to help bring in my waist and broaden the appearance of my upper body to help create an hour glass appearence.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If it is lumpy all over, that is body fat and you just gotta keep reducing. If you don't strength train while in a calorie deficit you will lose muscle, which means you will need to lose even more fat before you stop looking lumpy.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is going to lie in doing more exercise. Build some muscle and keep burning the fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Strength training is amazing.... but the next 5, 10, 15 and 20 pounds will make huge changes. I swear I had more changes to my body shape in the final five pounds than in the first 20.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Weight train, cardio and keep losing.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Make sure you are exercising and not just dieting. The muscle tone will be what gives you the shape you are looking for.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i agree with those who posted about strength training!
    I am an inch shorter than you and the exact same weight, but wearing about size 8, and i have no hips/bum to speak of, i carry my weight up top-belly, boobs, etc.

I also feel more "lumpy" and such, since my big belly was all firm-ish and now its more squishy with loose skin. it happens, give it time and things will start to come together a bit more!
  • kimsimm
    kimsimm Posts: 5
    Options
    There are LOTS of things that you can do without surgery! A question first, then a couple of suggestions. What type of exercise are you doing?

A couple of quick suggestions, based on your diary for the past week that may help
    1. Decrease your sodium intake- sodium causes your body to hold excess water, which is part of what is giving you the lumpy look instead of the lean look you want. Check the sodium content of processed or packaged foods you eat.
    2. Increase your clean protein intake (lean meat, egg whites, fish, etc) to support your musculature.
    3. Try to space your calorie intake out throughout the day and minimize simple carbs (white bread, white pasta, white potatoes, etc) which can cause bloating. Eating 5-6 times per day is best.
    4. Increase (or start) weight training. I promise, you will not look masculine. You would have to take male hormones for that to happen. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. Also, 5 pounds of fat takes up the space of three grapefruit, whereas 5 lbs of muscle takes up the space of three tangerines. Increasing your muscle mass is the only way you will ever maintain a lean, tight shape, rather than the lumpy look.

Hope that helps! :)
  • kimsimm
    Options
    I forgot to add: drink more water. At least 80-100 ounces per day.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? Yoga stretches out your muscles so they look longer and leaner. Plus it is great stress relief. I used to walk in with my ears up to my shoulders and walk out feeling like my neck was 6inches longer.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would say lifting....I am losing weight very slowly but I have noticed a difference in my 'lumps'....I am looking slimmer on my sides which makes me look slimmer from the front & back....My issue is the tummy as well but I know I have to lose more to get rid of it but the weights have been great to make me look less lumpy....I am also 5'2" & right now I am at 161lbs but I don't have muffin top on the sides at least...lol HTH!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    WOW, you eat out a lot.
    Have you considered planing meals for the week & cooking healthy meals at home. :smile:

This is just stupid.

OP - I dont see anything logged for your workouts, so I can only assume that you are eating healthier based on the information available. What you are seeing is a combination of fat loss and muscle cannibalism. I suggest continue eating as you do, but add in 5-6 days of exercise. In that, LIFT. You dont have to lift a ton, but your body is feeding off of the muscle you have. You need to keep this, and actually build it, albeit in small amounts unless you want the "buff" look.

Try the following - and know, you can knock it out in about 45 mins/day. And for the lifting, find ways to use your own body weight...

M - Upper Body Lift / Light Cardio
    T - Cardio
    W - Lower Body Lift
    TH - Cardio
    F - Upper Body Lift / Light Cardio
    S - Cardio

You can skip Saturday, if you want hand have 2 days of rest. The following alternate by starting with Lower Body.

Hope that helps
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    Weight train, cardio and keep losing.

i dont like how saggy my skin is so this is what im doing--- adding weight training to my cardio.. and trying to eat CLEAN most of the time.. and i mean MOST of the time..!!! best of luck to u
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you don't eat very healthily. Some days you're eating out a lot and others you only eat about half of your calories. So your body may be eating away at the muscle to look for nutrients instead of losing the fat. Make sure that you eat 1,200 cals a day and try to include more veggies and lean proteins. And for your workouts mix cardio with some weights and toning and it should improve. Good luck :)
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I'm clueless when it comes to "lifting". I just really have no idea where to start. I had a knee injury about a month ago that caused me so much pain I could not walk without crying. I took some Physical Therapy as well as seeing a sports medicine doctor, and I'm past that now, but haven't had the time/motivation to get back to my workouts. I really enjoyed doing my walks/runs, but the doctor has said I need to run on something other than the roads in my neighborhood (caused part of the problem with my knee because of the uneven surface).

Can someone tell me how to do lifting? If I do the machines at my gym, how many reps/what weight do I start them on? I feel like an idiot every time I try to do weights b/c I have to sit there and read the instructions off the side, and then I still don't know how many sets/reps/weights to do. Thanks!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    WOW, you eat out a lot.

This is just stupid.

OP - I dont see anything logged for your workouts, so I can only assume that you are eating healthier based on the information available. What you are seeing is a combination of fat loss and muscle cannibalism. I suggest continue eating as you do, but add in 5-6 days of exercise. In that, LIFT. You dont have to lift a ton, but your body is feeding off of the muscle you have. You need to keep this, and actually build it, albeit in small amounts unless you want the "buff" look.

Try the following - and know, you can knock it out in about 45 mins/day. And for the lifting, find ways to use your own body weight...

M - Upper Body Lift / Light Cardio
    T - Cardio
    W - Lower Body Lift
    TH - Cardio
    F - Upper Body Lift / Light Cardio
    S - Cardio

You can skip Saturday, if you want hand have 2 days of rest. The following alternate by starting with Lower Body.

Hope that helps
    Well that was an uncalled for rude comment (You must not have seen her comment "abs are made in the kitchen".)

OP... I'm 5'2", weigh 156 and I'm A size 8-10
    What you put in your mouth matters just as much as what you do for exercise.
    And the above workout is a good schedule to follow. smile:
  • kimsimm
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel about not knowing what to do with weights. When I first walked in a gym a few years ago, I was clueless. If you can't afford to hire a personal trainer for about a month to get you started, check out this online trainer:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

You may not want to follow the plan exactly, but the weight training recommended is a good basic plan, and there are links to videos that demonstrate how to do each exercise.

Best of luck! :)