Overcoming Super Sore-ness?!

Options
Brady_
Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
The only thing that stops me from doing work out dvds (JM no more trouble zones) is I KNOWW how sore I will be for days after, and then I usually have a hard time working out again cause I'm so sore, then I get set back and don't work out for a few days, do another DVD, and it's just a pattern!

How does everyone deal with being so sore from doing DVD's and circuit training, do you keep working out the day after even though your really sore and try and do as much as you can, or do you rest.

This has been something I've never been able to figure out & master, but I need strength training more than I do a lot of weight loss, but I haven't been able to do these DVD"s for a few days in a row!! Maybe I'm just being a baby?

Replies

• berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    With something like Jillian - I just work through being sore. After doing it again the next day, and again the next, you might find that it actually goes away faster.

That is just what usually works for me after I have not done them for a long time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're sore for days after a workout your body is sending you a message to dial it back a bit.

Quite often we're victims of our own enthusiasm but the reality is, especially of you've been inactive for a while, that you need to build up slowly (the proverbial learning to walk before you run). A certain amount of soreness after a workout is normal.

Start out slow, alternate your workouts and listen to your body!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You could take some ibuprophen.

You could start to move anyway; the blood flow and endorphins reduce the pain.

You could get a foam roller and do soft tissue work with it or get a massage.

Soreness is *good* and it will go away after a few days.

Think about military boot camp.

In boot camp, you don't get a day off. You are really sore after the first day. A bit sore after the second day, but after that, it starts to go away.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    I've found that it's usually best to just work through the soreness. Once you're over it you should be able to do the workout without it bothering you too much. If you're getting so sore that you can't even work out, you should look at doing something a little easier until you get accustomed to exercising.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    There are certain things that you can do to minimize soreness such as Post workout stretching or using the foam roller. Are you taking at least 15 minutes to stretch??

Also make sure you are eating the right recovery foods. I think milk is a good recovery food. Your muscles lock up because there isn't enough calcium to support muscle movement. Milk (or any other dairy product) has a good source of calcium to slow down the lactic acid buildup. It can a least lessen your soreness.

You don't have to stop working out, but you can do some low impact exercises the next day until you are ready to get back in it.

I hope this helps.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water after working out, that will help you. Also, as you get stronger, you will not feel sore anymore after workouts.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I started JM 30DS last week & added Ripped in 30 today. I'm working thru the soreness. I've been running as well, trying to loosen up my joints. This seems to work too.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try not doing all the circuits at once. I know people who have done half of the workout, then added one more circuit each time until they could finally do the whole thing. Also, you could try stretching more than she does at the end. I stretch a lot after workouts, for about 10 minutes.

The thing is, though, soreness is something you will experience. I can't do much cardio right now because I have a sprained ankle, so I started just weight lifting 4-5 days a week. My first legs day nearly killed me and I was extremely sore the next day, like too sore to walk and I knew that the next time I did legs I would need to go lower on the weights. I did and was still a little sore but not so sore I looked like a weirdo (at least more than usual) while walking. I'm sore (good sore) most of the time, but that's how I know I've pushed my body a little more than the last time. You have to deal with these things.
  • Lori_Henz
    Lori_Henz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have started to lift more weights and often am sore after I work out with a trainer. I use BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids) and the super soreness does seem to go away faster after taking that supplement. You can get them from most vitamin shops. I only use a half dose
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you're sore for days after a workout your body is sending you a message to dial it back a bit.

Quite often we're victims of our own enthusiasm but the reality is, especially of you've been inactive for a while, that you need to build up slowly (the proverbial learning to walk before you run). A certain amount of soreness after a workout is normal.

Start out slow, alternate your workouts and listen to your body!

I agree with this. Don't push your self too hard. However, I do feel it's okay to push yourself a little and in that case you still might get a little sore. If I do get sore I find if best to just keeping working out even when I'm sore. You'll find after a couple weeks of consistently working out and using those muscles your body will get use to it and you wont feel sore after your workouts. But consistency is the key. It wont get better if you take large breaks between tough workouts.
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Take ibuprofen and work through the soreness. It eventually goes away.
  • missingsocks
    missingsocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It gets better if you keep going back to it. There's this class at Gold's Gym that I was dreading every week called Butts and Guts. It kicks my butt for sure! It involves a ton of lunges and squats, and I used to be sore for the entire week after the hour long class. But now I'm only a little sore for the next day or two. When it was making me sore though, I did have a hard time making myself workout every day following it. Just keep in mind though, the soreness becomes less and less as long as you keep at it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    A little soreness is good, but if it rises to the level of actual discomfort, you've overdone it. Give yourself a little recovery time and try again a little more gently next time. Musclebuilding is a matter of patience and perseverance.

After I've overdone it and I know I've overdone it, I usually follow a very simple regimen (starting before the actual muscle pain starts, if I can):

1. Make sure my potassium and protein intakes are both fairly high, to take full advantage of the workout and allow my body to use the overdoing it to build muscle. It's not a good way to build muscle, but the damage is already done, might as well make the most of it!

2. Drink LOTS of water. I usually drink about 4 extra glasses of water, often more. This helps my body flush the lactic acid out of my system.

3. Keep the muscle moving as much as you can with as little strain on it as possible to circulate the protein, potassium, and especially the water. Keep this up until the muscle soreness goes away. Usually a couple of days.

Those muscles may hurt a lot to use them, but not using them will hurt more and longer. Combine extra water intake with light, gentle exercise on the muscles the next day or two to help work the lactic acid out of them. If it's leg muscles, for example, go for a walk as often as you can. Move your legs around while you sit or just gently tense the sore ones frequently. Keep the muscles moving as much as you can but don't put a lot of strain on them.

Also, keep up the workouts using different muscles. The raised heartrate will help circulate vital nutrients to the sore muscles, and help flush the lactic acid out of them more quickly.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    Yes, I just got done with my first week of insanity. Today I start week two.... My legs hurt, but you just have to push through. Take a break during the workout if you feel you need it.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If your in that much pain then scale it back to every second day. There is nothing to be gained by doing the exercise everyday. Your muscles are sending you signals that they are repairing themselves. It take approx 48 hours for the repair to take place. HIIT or weights one day, followed by low impact cardio the next, then HIIT or weights the next. Have fun and listen to your body.:smile:
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    :happy: bump...this is awesome advice
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If your in that much pain then scale it back to every second day. There is nothing to be gained by doing the exercise everyday. Your muscles are sending you signals that they are repairing themselves. It take approx 48 hours for the repair to take place. HIIT or weights one day, followed by low impact cardio the next, then HIIT or weights the next. Have fun and listen to your body.:smile:

Exactly. High-intensity workouts on muscles that are trying to heal is a recipe for, at best, unproductive workouts that are just pain. If the muscle can't heal, it can't build.

At worst, you've got damaged muscles that are trying to heal - pushing them hard might cause injury.

Keep the muscle moving and stay hydrated. Work other muscles while those heal.

A good way to build the overall body is to circulate between upper body, core, and lower body. Warm up each day with a brisk walk or 10 minutes on the elliptical or something, then on day 1 do upper-body workouts, day 2 do planks, sit-ups, and other core exercises, and day 3 keep going on the elliptical or whatever, then go back to day 1. That gives each muscle grouping two days to heal between heavy workouts. On Day 7, give your whole body a bit of a rest - just do a warm-up and exercise everything lightly.

Go until the muscles feel a little sore, because a little sore means you're building muscle. STOP if you feel any actual discomfort. Do a gentle cool-down on the muscles that are sore and they'll be stronger after a couple of days' rest.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was doing HIIT almost daily and was so sore and felt exhausted, so I've have scaled back and do it every other day with running and yoga in between. I have found drinking a protein shake right after I stretch really helps. They say you have a "recovery zone" and eating within that 30 minutes is really beneficial.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As long as you've actually not hurt yourself, it's okay to work through a little soreness. Give yourself a break, do something gentler for the next day or two, and then get back to it. I alternate my harder workouts with yoga and pilates (although it's turning out that both of those are tough as well).