10 days in - No change! Whats wrong?

Options
I am new to MFP and I have been following my cals (staying between 1200 - 1400 ) very closely for the past 10 days and getting in some exercise (15 - 30 min) every day, but no change at the scale! I really thought the first week is when you saw a big difference - even just water weight loss, then small drops (ie 1-2 pounds a week) after that, but I my scale has not moved off my start mark. Has anybody else had this problem? Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah!

I got so upset that the scales were barely moving. Then I took a closer look at my calories and I wasn't eating enough. When I added a couple of hundred calories more, I started to see results. But still it took some time.

But one thing that happened was this. I started buy smaller clothes. And finally after 3 months, people began to say how slim I looked. That was such a hard time for me cause I've always done the unhealthy diets where you drop fast weight. This time I was eating pretty healthy. And I was feeling really good. So for the first three months I had to focus on how I healthy I was becoming. hope this helps. Oh, and I stopped weighing for a while. kc:smile:
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Yup I have had the same problum. 5 weeks into in and I have finally dropped a few pounds.and by a few I mean I am teetering at the border lineof almost 4 ) Slow Slow slow I am staying around 1400 Cals a day started at1200 but the weight would not budge :angry: so I tweeked it a bit. I think that we all lose at a diffent rate (but those that lose it quik kinda irk me) Stay with what you are doing it might go at is own pace but it will come off. Dont give up :flowerforyou:
    Pam
  • valeriegaines
    Options
    :smile: Some times you have change your routine to reset your motabalism. Try increasing your activity level to maybe 30 min a day { it does not all have to be at the same time} and see if that helps to get your scale dropping.
  • dangiegem
    Options
    Make sure your at your target heart rate for more than 30 minutes. In other words, warm up for 10 stay at your target heart rate for 30 and cool down for 5 to 10. It's worked for me...good luck!
  • juliehiggins
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing everything right, but maybe just try and fit a little bit more of a workout into your schedule, it will help burn the calories needed to drop a few pounds.
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks all for suggestions! I am steadly increasing my excercise as possible (in PT for a rupture ligament in my foot, so I have to do really low impact for now, but still makeing it work!)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it takes a while for our bodies to get the signal that we've changed things. I know my weight (either gained or lost) doesn't show on the scale until well after it shows on my figure. I have no idea where the fat is during that time :huh:

Have you measured yourself? Maybe your dimensions are changing, even if your scale hasn't gotten the message...

Hang in there! It took nearly a month for mine to start showing.
  • Scubachick
    Options
    Ye have just got me motivated again, as I was wondering about the static weight here too! I am eating lettuce wraps for lunch and watery porrige for breakfast and pure veggies for dinner and still no budge on the scales:noway: . But, at least I know I have changed to a healthier diet.

One thing I noticed on MFP, a lot of the nutritianal information in the database is in wrong. I have found loads of food with the 100g or 100ml listing instead of having the numbers adjusted for the portion size. I think I was still overeating for a while because of this.

Also, I was overeating because I was not weighing and measuring my food - just guessing it. I treated myself to a little diet scales this week! If you bite it write it - I kept "forgetting" to list those few fries I stole off the kids plates or the bit of birthday cake etc..
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Make sure your at your target heart rate for more than 30 minutes. In other words, warm up for 10 stay at your target heart rate for 30 and cool down for 5 to 10. It's worked for me...good luck!

That may have been the best advice for me that I have heard yet, Thanks tons :flowerforyou:
    I am not very good at wording my questions, so I probably don't ask the right ones. You just answered my main one without me even asking, Thanks
  • annaliza
    Options
    Don't forget to drink your water!!

I've been on a month long plateau so I feel for you!!! Right now I'm trying different things to help break it, including mixing up my diet, changing my workout routine, and drinking more water. Basically, what I mean is that it might take awhile for you to figure out what's best for you and your body. Every person is different. Be patient and figure out what's best for you...it will be worth the wait.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • KariM
    Options
    I was poking around the internet, looking for more suggestions, and found the tutorial on Wed MD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/diet-health-check/default.htm ), takes about 5 min to complete and they calculate a base of 1400 calories, not 1200, to work from for me (plus whatever I would burn from exercise). So, as scary as it sounds to me right now, I am going to try to add 200 calories and see where it gets me! Even at 1400 I figure it has to be healthier than what I was doing (like drinking 3 - 4 cans of Coke a day!).
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kari! That is what worked for me! Upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1450 (after much trial and error) and then began losing. Let us know how it goes :)
  • annaliza
    Options
    Kari, that worked for me.

I upped my cal intake from 1200 to 1400 and that worked well for me. The weight started dropping off. My plateau this time is from something else (my guess is my body got used to my exercising plus need more water).

Good luck to you!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess sometimes you really do have to up your calories to lose weight. This has been happening to me, I keep re-gaining and losing the same few pounds (although I am still always at least 2 pounds under where I started from, so that's good) and I am doing everything right -- eating clean and exercising. I too am trying not to weigh myself as often but it's hard for. Last week I was up and then down and now I am back up. I know it is a process and I am going to trust the process and be patient, so that's the only advice I have for you as well. I think I may need to eat more calories especially because I have been working out *a lot*. Good luck to you. I think the important thing is to stay healthy and focus on the positive and the weight *will* come off. I agree with stormie that weight loss can be reflected on my body, in my face, in how I feel, in how my clothes fit, in how I look in the mirror, etc. *way* before it is reflected on the scale... it's the weirdest thing! I am beginning to really despise the scale.
  • KariM
    Options
    I agree about the scale -- I need to stay off of it every day! I am going to drive myself nuts! and no I have not measured, but I might do that this weekend. I just need a little ray of progress!
  • KariM
    Options
    UPDATE:
  • KariM
    Options
    UPDATE:
  • KariM
    Options
    UPDATE: