100% Whole Wheat Bread

Options
2»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Part of the issue with "100% whole wheat breads" is that they still often use high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient. Personally, I eat 100% Whole Grain Double Fiber bread from Orowheat. They don't use corn syrup... Sugar is involved but that's better than the high process and health impact of HFCS. A lot of people assume that because it has certain claims on the label, that it is the same and/or healthy as other choices, but it's really not.

Case in point: I eat the above bread, and my roommate had been eating "organic" whole wheat bread. One day we got to talking about HFCS and he looked at the ingredients on our respective breads. His "organic" store brand wheat bread had HFCS and other unhealthy ingredients, where as mine has things like wheat, sugar, whey protein/fiber/gluten, salt... Simple, unprocessed ingredients.
    He was appalled.

Now, I'm not saying my choice isthe #1 best choice, but it definitely doesn't have the same carb load as other options, and doesn't have hidden white flour in it.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    All breads are not created equal. I find the breads from the conventional supermarkets have high fructose corn syrup. And breads from Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market don't. Organic breads are made from ingredients that where not grown and sprayed with harmful pesticides they also have no chemicals, artificial colors or flavors. Also, most natural and all organic are GMO free. So the science may be that all breads are equal, but when you take these other things into consideration what would you rather put in your body?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That does help. I am trying to lose 30 pounds but I don't necessarily want to be on a no or low-carb diet. Is it necessary? I am Filipino so I eat rice almost everyday at dinner. I have replaced white rice with brown rice because I hear that its healthier. For most lunches, I get lean cuisines or something similar with pasta and shrimp that does not go over 260 calories.

Brown rice, like other whole grains, is metabolized more slowly than white rice. As a result, it usually doesn't spike your blood sugar the way that white rice (or white bread) can and may leave you feeling full longer (or at least not feeling like you want to eat something), so you snack less and it's easier to stay on your plan.
    ^^ THIS^^^^^^^
    And it typically has a bit more fiber. AND if it says 100% whole wheat at least it's FOOD. Most commercial bread isn't, imho.
  • Quasita
    Options
    Whole wheat prevent some vitamins and minerals to be absorbed, so eating them always is not a pertinent choice I'd say :)

Spinach prevents some nutrients from being absorbed, too. Many foods do. That doesn't make them unhealthy.

I never said that was unhealthy, just not pertinent :wink:

Methinks you may not know the actual definition of pertinent. Whole wheat's effect on nutrient absorption is 100% pertinent to this conversation.

per·ti·nent/ˈpərtn-ənt/Adjective: Relevant or applicable to a particular matter; apposite.
    Synonyms: relevant - apposite - appropriate - suitable - proper

It may not be the optimal choice for a nutrient dense diet, but it is pertinent aka relevant/applicable/related in discussion...
  • kilbey1
    kilbey1 Posts: 12
    Options
    This is sounding too much like a "carbs bad" debate; just EAT FOOD. Yes, breads are high in carbohydrates, but so are lots of vegetables. Whole wheat bread will certainly consist of more complex carbs (as opposed to bread made of refined, white flour). You need complex carbs for energy.

Go ahead and eat your bread, but invest in a good, REAL bread by reading your labels: avoid things that indicate "enriched" or "refined," breads containing high fructose corn syrup, that has a list longer than your arm, or bizarro sounding ingredients you can't identify. (Having recently been on a shopping trip and perusing bread ingredients, I realize that can be VERY difficult, so consider making it yourself, or try the Ezekiel line of breads).

Just keep it real, and as with anything, don't overdo your consumption.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wheat has more nutrients than white bread, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. When you eat wheat bread, you're getting tons of rapidly digested carbs, which lead to unhealthy spikes in blood sugar and insulin. Fortunately you do get some vitamins and minerals along with the bread b/c it's whole wheat instead of nutritionally void white bread. If you're trying to lose weight, then don't eat lots of bread. You can have some of course if you really like it, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's health food.

I've found it's a lot easier to stick to my daily caloric goals when I minimize bread/pasta/rice.

What? How is it a ton of rapidly digestible carbs? It's made up of polysaccharides, therefore it takes longer to digest than any most other carbs. That fact alone shows why some brands of whole wheat bread and white bread have low GIs AND GLs.

Also, this is not bread but it makes a point of brown vs white and how brown is better because it's whole wheat and what not:

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.
  • Barrett18
    Barrett18 Posts: 16
    Options
    White bread is also processed more. That is why it is white. If you are really worried about it, make your own bread. It's not hard and a great Saturday project. Plus, all the standing and kneading of the dough can be a great little exercise for your arms and legs. This way you know exactly what is in it and how much. Also, it's even cheaper!!
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "The latest health advice tells us to eat more healthy, whole grains. The truth is wheat can bring your blood sugar level up as much as eating a candy bar or drinking a soda. Dr. Davis says people who are eating “more whole grains/wheat” are consuming 400 more calories per day. They are weighing more and spending more money. "

This is some information from the book "Wheat Belly." I think wheat affects different people in different ways. It doesn't seem to bother me terribly, but some of my family members really have issues with it. I'd experiment. Stay within your calorie range and try a couple of weeks with limited/no bread and a couple of weeks with it in your diet. Let your weight tell you whether you should keep bread in your diet.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    All bread is made of carbohyrate molecules ("sugar").

Indeed, bread is 50% carbohydrate molecules. So for example if you eat 100 grams of bread, you have eaten 50 grams of pure carbohydrate molecules.

There is absolutely no difference, whatsoever, between different types of bread. Croissants, baguette, wonder bread, whole wheat organic multivitamin sourdough - whatever.

There is utterly no difference.

It's all exactly the same ... bread is 50% carbohydrate.

If you are trying to lose body fat, the essential thing is to slash your carbohydrate intake. Foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, fruit, rice are basically "all carbohydrates".

(It goes without saying that candy, soft drinks, etc, are all carbohydrate.)

Again, regarding the different types of bread, there is no difference whatsoever.

Carefully weigh ANY bred you eat, and cut the figure in half to learn the carbohydrate grams. So, 40 grams of bread is 20 grams of pure carbohydrate (it makes absolutely no difference what type of bread -- white, brown, whatever).

Hope it helps!

I thought So! Thanks for the Breakedown and information. OK so 100% has a few more Fiber Grams! Big whoop!
  • fvgirlca
    fvgirlca Posts: 10
    Options
    White bread is also processed more. That is why it is white. If you are really worried about it, make your own bread. It's not hard and a great Saturday project. Plus, all the standing and kneading of the dough can be a great little exercise for your arms and legs. This way you know exactly what is in it and how much. Also, it's even cheaper!!

^^^ This is what I do ^^^ My favourite recipe is: http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-oatmeal-bread-285181 and it is sweetened with honey not sugar or HFCS and it stays moist forever ... I had a loaf in my fridge for about 1 1/2 weeks and it was still great.
  • slightner
    slightner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned the 35 calorie bread. I have tried most of them, recently Schebels Lite Wheat, it only has 5 net carbs in 2 slices. So if its a sandwich day, I use that. My husband eats it daily in his lunch and has lost 35 pounds since Feb. 1.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have to test my blood sugar 5 times a day. I'm pre-diabetic but not on insulin. For me, white bread, wheat bread, white rice or brown, it's all the same. I get the same 2 hour spike from all of them. The only bread that prevents me from having spikes is Ezekiel. I don't know if it's because it's sprouted whole grains, a lack of flour or just my body but I stick with that one.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose body fat, the essential thing is to slash your carbohydrate intake. Foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, fruit, rice are basically "all carbohydrates".

that's racist
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Why do so many wheat bread recipes call for SOME wheat flour and even MORE white flour?!

I want a recipe that uses just wheat flour and no white flour. Is this bad? Will it explode or something?
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Why do so many wheat bread recipes call for SOME wheat flour and even MORE white flour?!

I want a recipe that uses just wheat flour and no white flour. Is this bad? Will it explode or something?
    It's because white flour offers a more "palatable" texture. Most people prefer the texture of soft bleached white flour. You can use all whole wheat, it will just taste and have a mouth feel of whole wheat flour. I bake my own bread about 50% of the time, just use all wheat flour and experiment a little.
  • LASHAY429
    LASHAY429 Posts: 13
    Options
    WHAT IS SOME GOOD WHOLE GRAIN BREAD?
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    That does help. I am trying to lose 30 pounds but I don't necessarily want to be on a no or low-carb diet. Is it necessary? I am Filipino so I eat rice almost everyday at dinner. I have replaced white rice with brown rice because I hear that its healthier. For most lunches, I get lean cuisines or something similar with pasta and shrimp that does not go over 260 calories.

iam half japanese ive ate rice everyday for 46 years lol
  • Quasita
    Options
    WHAT IS SOME GOOD WHOLE GRAIN BREAD?

Personally, I like Orowheat Double Fiber 100% Wheat. It doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it (which many commercial wheats do... even organic options have some sort of syrup sugar). While it does have sugar in it, like most bread, it is not one of the main ingredients! This bread also gives you a fiber bang for your buck at 7g a slice, making it a lot easier to hit fiber goals if you have them like I do.