Sugar + supposedly healthy food.

Options
So surprised by how much sugar is in supposedly healthy food.

Daily goal of 24mg sugar, yet 1 banana apparently has 15mg!

I also like to have a bowl of min weetabix with chocolate chips in the morning. Good for fibre, keeps me full for a long time, and yes I know I could go for a healthier cereal but I don't think they're too bad overall, and better than what I used to do which was eat no breakfast.

But between the ceral I had for breakfast and the banana which I just had, I have had 9g too much sugar!

Grr.

Yes, I know it's much better than when I was not being healthy and was constantly having chocolate, cakes, all kinds of stuff, which was no doubt full of sugar, but is still annoying...

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I consume way more sugar than that. You're overthinking it and being paranoid.
  • amanda_oc
    amanda_oc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not paranoid, just trying to be healthy and frustrated by how much sugar is in fruit, that is all.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to be overly concerned with sugar consumption when it comes to good sugars, unless you have health problems (diabetes) or are low-carbing it.

I go over my sugars every day because I liked to eat a banana at breakfast and an apple with lunch. I probably wouldn't go over if I didn't have that apple, but it doesn't make sense to restrict myself from having an APPLE.

If you are worried about excess sugar you can avoid some of the more sugary fruits (like bananas) and eat more lower-sugar fruits like berries (strawberries and blueberries), but don't be too hard on yourself. Imagine how much empty sugar (with zero vitamins or fibre) you were eating, unbeknownst to yourself, before eating healthy :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Those bananas just can't be trusted

bad%20banana.jpg
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Those bananas just can't be trusted

bad%20banana.jpg

Haha awesome
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Wow, I eat like 30000-50000mg of sugar a day!
  • amanda_oc
    Options
    To heatherrose86 thank you - you made a very good point, re not needing to worry about sugar unless you have health problems (diabetes)

To uponthisrock - thank you for the laugh! :)

To the sarcastic ones, please just grow up!

Cheers! x
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So surprised by how much sugar is in supposedly healthy food.

I also like to have a bowl of min weetabix with chocolate chips in the morning. Good for fibre, keeps me full for a long time, and yes I know I could go for a healthier cereal but I don't think they're too bad overall, and better than what I used to do which was eat no breakfast.

But between the ceral I had for breakfast and the banana which I just had, I have had 9g too much sugar!

Grr.

Yes, I know it's much better than when I was not being healthy and was constantly having chocolate, cakes, all kinds of stuff, which was no doubt full of sugar, but is still annoying...

I don't count sugar from fruit/veggies. Ever.

Eat a better cereal. Or add some eggs/chicken into the rotation.
  • amanda_oc
    Options
    Thanks. I think you are right!

And see I'm completely addicted to the weetabix mini chocolate chips. I'm nearly 28 and have never ever eaten breakfast, yet I am finding myself managing to ear these each morning, and actually craving them later in the day, (so I'm figuring it is much better to crave mini weetabix than to crave junk food lol) and plus there is less sugar in them than the banana :D
  • Yahalla
    Yahalla Posts: 7
    Options
    Sugar, raw unadulterated plain ol' glucose is the fuel that our cells use to make energy...you have millions of cells in your body each needing some sugar to keep 'em going. Don't hate too much on the sugar! Granted our bodies are amazing things and they'll pack away the excess sugar that is not being used into little cells of fat for later use...so we'd like to avoid that!

Pure sugar, the kind you find in fruits is better used by the body than processed sugar. If you are going to eliminate sugars, eliminate the processed ones first and keep the raw sugars in your diet. Either way, you are right to reduce the amount of sugar in your diet. If you are not providing "easy" fuel for the body it will dip into the fat stores in order to obtain the fuel needed to keep going.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, smart alec-y replies aside....
    Yes, when you start doing this and tracking your food, it IS surprising to learn how much sugar is in some foods.
    For me it was tomatoes. LOTS of sugar (relatively) just in raw tomatoes. And I love tomatoes.

I also have a target of 24g sugar/day. To keep my cravings under control. And because I'm still learning how different foods affect me. But I don't freak out if I go over it from healthy food that are eaten in combination with other macros (protein, fiber, etc.).

It is a learning process. Good luck with your journey!
  • amanda_oc
    Options
    thanks for the replies. not gonna freak out about it, but definitely some good replies there, and puts things in prespective. thanks :)
  • rheyl21
    rheyl21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!!!
  • amanda_oc
    Options
    Hilarious!!!

Yeah, absolutely hilarious isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Not paranoid, just trying to be healthy and frustrated by how much sugar is in fruit, that is all.

You're going to get a lot of bad advice on here, most of which will convince that somehow specific things are healthy and unhealthy. Eat what you enjoy and eat it in moderation. I'll be damned if anyone tells me I'm unhealthy because I eat plenty of chocolate and processed foods.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There is no good sugar. Fruit contains many kinds of sugar, in varying proportions. Some fruit (like bananas) is high in sucrose, which to your body is the exact same as table sugar. For SOME people including those with diabetes or insulin resistance, the sugar in fruit is too much.