Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How many calories can I really have?

HI all, I'm new and primarily use the app. I have my phone in my hand all day so this is super easy for tracking and making choices. I noticed an immediate improvement! But here's my little dilemma: I've been doing this for just under a week. The first two days I struggled to eat under my recommended count because I wasn't doing any exercise (just finishing recovery from an injury but am generally a very active person). Then I figured out how exercise off-sets the calorie consumption, giving you more "allowed" calories to work with. I used this over the weekend on vacation, where I ate what I wanted to but watched portion size and we were very active. when I got home, the scale spiked! Almost 5 lbs higher! It's possibly I've got some bloating/water gain right now but that number was like a kick in the seat!

So. Did I error in thinking that my new "remaining" allowance was what I should be working with? Should I stay under the 1320 that is my goal no matter how active I am?

Replies

• dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    no...you can and should eat your workout calories. you want to be at or as close to your Goal calorie mark :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You did it right. Most likely water weight from higher levels of activity and sodium.
  • You should keep in mind that people usually overestimate the calories they burn so I wouldn't think of it as a free pass to just eat more. I eat if I'm hungry but if not I'll just watch my calories from food. I don't really pay attention to net for this reason precisely.
  • mcott1012
    mcott1012 Posts: 27 Member
    I agree with the above posters. My weightloss slowed almost to a stop when I stopped eating back my exercise calories. Just keep doing what your doing and don't let the pesky numbers on the scale throw you off course!! :drinker:
  • purpleface
    purpleface Posts: 21 Member
    You're doing everything right, just make sure you're drinking plenty of water & make sure you weigh yourself when you wake up first thing (after bathroom breaks). There's no way you can just gain 5lbs in a week or two without overeating ridiculously so I'd go with the water weight theory. Just keep going & eating back your exercise calories & you should see a difference when your body has settled back into rhythm.

Good luck!
  • YossDillo
    YossDillo Posts: 19
    Hey, I'm new at this too and I have a question: Isn't part of the point to eat less than your goal and exercise more than your goal? I'm not talking about eating so little it puts you in starvation mode, but I thought you lost weight by eating less than your goal, and exercising was a way to insure that.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    I think that it depends on whether you are a type A or not. I literally won't eat something without logging it. I count the number of strawberries or baby carrots I eat, etc. I also set myself to sedentary even though my job frequently is at least lightly active. so I think the overestimations of machine workouts canceled with the underestimation of non-exercise activity. In any case, eating exercise calories worked for me. My boyfriend is a terrible logger, so he loses well only if he leaves a buffer.
  • Thanks everyone! That was great feedback and very reassuring. I'm almost positive I'm not drinking enough water (don't log that).