Eat What You Want And Still Loose Weight

Options
Hello. I am curious if any one eats whateve rthey want to as long as they stay under their calorie goal, and still loose weight. I pretty much eat what I want to and d try to stay under my daily goal and so far I am doing good. Isnthis true for anyone else?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

It depends on your goal. For some, you might have to cut fat and watch the carbs in order to get where you want to be. So, it's a little more than just watching calories. But, if you just watch calories, you will lose weight to a certain point.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but what I want to eat has changed drastically in the last few years. Gone are the days of craving cheeseburgers and deep fried cauliflower. Now what I want are chicken sandwiches or a salad. I have evolved a little tiny bit.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I had my first burger in almost a year in an attempt to follow this rule. I did not feel good at all. I think for me, I will stick to the rule of just eat healthy foods.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was able to do that 5 years ago but I also busted my A** at the gym 5 days a week. I'm not taking any chances this time.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do try to make good choices though because then I can eat more. :)
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I do. Though I have found that being more conscious of my food often leads to healthier food choices, I am by no means a purist and a fair amount of "junk food" makes it into my diet. I lose weight with no problems at all.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yea...I still eat foods I like, just smaller amounts of it. Lost 41 lbs so far.
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I am able to eat what I want but I don't get too crazy. I know I don't have much to lose to get to my goal weight but I still try to stay within my calorie allowance and since trying to eat clean for the past 3 weeks I've noticed that when I do have something (such as a cheeseburger) it makes me feel sick. I just feel better eating clean! My new favorite go to snack is yogurt and just a few weeks ago I wouldn't even touch the stuff. Funny how you stop craving the "bad stuff" and want healthier snacks!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This probably works. But, when you start looking at Sodium, Sugar and Cholesterol it becomes immediately apparent that eating better as well as eating less is the way to go.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It worked for me the first time around. But the older you get, the less it seems to work! Ugh. Best to change to a more healthy way of eating now, so you don't have to change drastically later. :wink:

On days I do a huge workout (burn ~1000 calories) I will eat whatever I want. I've earned it! But most of the time, I don't. And getting that 1000 calorie burn is getting a lot harder to reach now that I'm getting in shape!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I tried to anything I wanted eat at 1200-1400 calories a day and it didnt do much for me until I lowered my carbs and ate 1200-1500 calories a day. now im losing slowly. Everyones different!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

It depends on your goal. For some, you might have to cut fat and watch the carbs in order to get where you want to be. So, it's a little more than just watching calories. But, if you just watch calories, you will lose weight to a certain point.

Not true. There is a recent study where they put three different groups on three different levels of macros (I forget the exact percentages) and the same calorie deficit. All three groups had the same results. You can play with your macros all you want. They might help your energy levels or help not be so hungry, but they don't make a difference in your weight loss.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight by eating whatever if you stick to your calories & macros but this wont make you healthy, you shoud try and eat more lean meats, whole grains, lots of fruit & veg, dairy, and keep the junk / processed stuff in moderation.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want (including eating out/ fast food) and I still lose weight. I just try to stay under my calorie goal and on days where I know I may go over, I try to work out a little harder. I admire the people who eat clean, but my husband is not doing this with me and sometimes, I have to make arrangements for him and what he likes (he's picky). Plus, I'm of the mindset (because I know myself and how I work) that if deprive myself too much too often, I have a tendency to binge. And I don't mean like 500 calories over binge, I mean like 1500 calories over binge.

No thanks. I'd rather have a little bit of something than too much of a good thing. It may slow me down or make me lose weight differently, but I'm satisfied and not feeling like this is torture. On top of that, if this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not just a diet, why would I deprive myself of something I love and would never be able to eat again? I'd rather learn about better portions, than deprivation.
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yea I try to eat decent, not indulging in bad foods, but I just don't tell myself that I can't have any of my favorite foods because I know that will make me want it even more. I also try to burn a minimum of 1000 calories a day to make sure I am burning off extra calories if I have them.
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    I agree with you. I know that if I was to say I am not going to eat any sweets or carbs, that I will turn around and maybe eat too much of it. This is a lifestyle change and although I eat the foods I like, I am alot more conscious of what I am eating and how much of it that I am eating. Great job by the way on the amount of weight you lost.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

Not true. There is a recent study where they put three different groups on three different levels of macros (I forget the exact percentages) and the same calorie deficit. All three groups had the same results. You can play with your macros all you want. They might help your energy levels or help not be so hungry, but they don't make a difference in your weight loss.

If you are talking about the study I think, that was assuming adequate protein intake defined as 1g/per pound of lean mass.

I pretty much eat whatever I want, and try to eat over 100g of protein. I also try to lower my sodium for the rest of the day after a high sodium meal... but really, its mostly what I want. I also go over if I'm still hungry. I'm a pretty lax one, we will see if I need to tighten the reigns later, but I'm less than 10 pounds from being below 20% body fat... so I'm decently lean
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This probably works. But, when you start looking at Sodium, Sugar and Cholesterol it becomes immediately apparent that eating better as well as eating less is the way to go.

Seconds this! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I always eat what I want and when what I want is not the healthiest of the healthiest I try my best to keep in moderation... but if I don't keep it in moderation for one reason or another - I rarely feel bad about it...
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I just eat less of it and work out now.