BMR results - your opinion??

Options
I went to the tools option to check what my BMR should be. It says that I should be getting about 1400 calories a day. Until today I have been staying under 1200 and some days it's hard to get that many.
Do you think I need to get 1400 calories in one day or stick with what I'm doing? Trying to lose about 30 pounds.

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was debating this exact thing this week; my BMR is around 1450 and I was eating 1200-1400 daily and not eating exercise calories most of the time. Someone linked me to a post that equated your BMR with what a doctor would feed you through a tube if you were in a coma; i.e. your body needs that much just to keep your organs functioning properly. That scary imagery was enough to help me decide to bump up to 1500 calories! Also apparently if you don't eat your BMR your body will lose lean instead of fat for some reason... there are several good threads on this if you use the search function on the forums. Good luck! I only bumped up this week, so I can't attest to results, but there are a ton of people on here who can.
  • jamie_renae13
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the info! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to my BMR as I lose weight to make sure I'm taking in enough calories.
    Good luck to you too!
  • dmd1402
    dmd1402 Posts: 4
    Options
    My BMR is 1,245 calories a day and I've been eating under 1,200 a day for a couple weeks and not losing weight. I'm only 5 calories from my goal weight (I've lost 27 lbs. so far) so I know the last few are the hardest, but I'm getting frustrated that I'm not losing anymore. I'm considering bumping up my calories even though my mind is telling me to eat less. It's hard to believe that eating more can make you lose weight! I'm not sure what to bump my calories up to though. I've also been eating back my exercise calories but I'm considering stopping that, and changing up my walking routine by doing something else. How did you know to bump your calories up to 1,500 calories, Hannah? Or is that just a number you pulled out of a hat? I'm 5' 6", 134 lbs, and 50 yrs. old.
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was debating this exact thing this week; my BMR is around 1450 and I was eating 1200-1400 daily and not eating exercise calories most of the time. Someone linked me to a post that equated your BMR with what a doctor would feed you through a tube if you were in a coma; i.e. your body needs that much just to keep your organs functioning properly. That scary imagery was enough to help me decide to bump up to 1500 calories! Also apparently if you don't eat your BMR your body will lose lean instead of fat for some reason... there are several good threads on this if you use the search function on the forums. Good luck! I only bumped up this week, so I can't attest to results, but there are a ton of people on here who can.

this makes sense to me/what I've heard. BMR is enough to just...exist. (organs function etc..) then you need to factor in your daily lifestyle (throughout the day/what your job is/etc...) I have a desk job so the calorie burn/movements associated with that is about 400+- calories for the day. Then if you exercise, you've burned another round of calories. You have to factor in all of those things.

here's a little formula
    so for me... 1361(my RMR/BMR) + 408 (desk job lifestyle) - 750 calories (lose 1.5lbs/week) + 500 (exercise burn) = 1519 calories/day, on a workout day, for me to eat to lose 1.5lbs/week.
  • hphm420
    hphm420 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 - 6 times a week and was eating 1200 calories and day..and not losing a single pound. I actually gained a few. :(

Until a started researching this topic. Turns out my BMR is 1632, and as I understand it you should never eat under your BMR. My new goals are 1600-1700 on non-workout days, and 1900-2000 on workout days. Sometimes I find it hard to eat those extra calories. I've since added protein bars after workouts, those are like 200 calories. Hope this works :-)
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same sort of thing. The BMR calculator on MFP said that my BMR is about 1,770 calories/day. When I started about 5 weeks ago, MFP had me set at 1,260 calories/day. I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle (work in an office and have a side job delivering pizzas so I'm driving or sitting most of the time) but I work out at least 30 minutes 3-5 days a week. I've only lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, and I'm generally staying very close to MFP's calorie goal. I eat back my exercise calories.

What concerns me is that after losing those 10 pounds, MFP has now set me at 1,210 calories/day. I still have over 90 pounds to lose! Where is it going to put me once I start to drop weight? Under 1,200? I'm set at 2 lbs/week (which clearly isn't happening) and I don't think that's unreasonable when my CW is at 226.

Should I be eating closer to my BMR? Or should I stick to the calorie goal that MFP gives me? I've noticed that when I weigh in a day or two after my "cheat" days, the scale seems to plummet. (Edited to clarify... I seem to plateau until the cheat days and then the number on the scale goes down a pound or two after the cheat days).
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    MFP had me on 1300 and I was starving and not losing weight! I increased it up to 1700 (my bmr) and just like that, the pounds started melting off!

Go ahead and bump it up to your BMR and be sure to update it as you lose weight.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I went to the tools option to check what my BMR should be. It says that I should be getting about 1400 calories a day. Until today I have been staying under 1200 and some days it's hard to get that many.
    Do you think I need to get 1400 calories in one day or stick with what I'm doing? Trying to lose about 30 pounds.

None of the above. You need higher. I was stuck in your situation as well, and am now down 29 pounds. Read my profile. Read this thread full of both sides of information (warning, it's long, and you should read all of it before you decide)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/559046-mfp-warning-about-eating-under-bmr
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This sort of explains why I've been the same weight for the last several weeks (like 6). I've been keeping my calories between 1200-1300 and my BMR for my age/height is like 1415. Between, commuting, working and kids I don't have much time for exercise except on the weekends and because of where we live, those weekends are filled with errands.

I've been using MFP religiously since January and have only lost about 11 pounds. Maybe I need to just bump up my calories to my BMR and see what happens. I'd like to lose another 30 pounds. I eat pretty healthy and have to drink tons of water. I get that exercise is a key component and I may need to forego some sleep in order to get that in.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1,245 calories a day and I've been eating under 1,200 a day for a couple weeks and not losing weight. I'm only 5 calories from my goal weight (I've lost 27 lbs. so far) so I know the last few are the hardest, but I'm getting frustrated that I'm not losing anymore. I'm considering bumping up my calories even though my mind is telling me to eat less. It's hard to believe that eating more can make you lose weight! I'm not sure what to bump my calories up to though. I've also been eating back my exercise calories but I'm considering stopping that, and changing up my walking routine by doing something else. How did you know to bump your calories up to 1,500 calories, Hannah? Or is that just a number you pulled out of a hat? I'm 5' 6", 134 lbs, and 50 yrs. old.

I chose 1500 because my BMR is 1450 (I'm 5'7" 150 lbs) and I wanted to make sure to get more than that. My TDEE is around 1800, so ultimately I will try to get up to that, but a lot of people say it's best to bump incrementally so as to not freak your body out too badly. I'm going to stick with 1500 for a couple months and see if I get results, and then possibly go up by another 100 if it's working. If I were you, with a BMR of 1245, I'd start by bumping up to maybe 1350/1400 for a month or two and go from there?
  • dmd1402
    dmd1402 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks, and do you think I should eat back my exercise calories or not?

What is TDEE? I'm just starting to learn about all these details. :)