Fell hard!

Options
Definitely face planted yesterday when I was out with friends and went WAY over my calorie intake for the day.
Any tips on sticking with it when out in social situations?

Replies

• tzin99
    tzin99 Posts: 28
    Options
    it happens and good food is always tempting!!

you could skip going out to eat meals and join them afterwards for drinks or sth?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    One good idea is to visit the restaurant's website (or MFP) before you go. Get a sense of the calories etc. I sometimes pre-decide what I'm going to eat, and drink. And then, because I know the calories and have even entered them, I tend to stick to it.

Also, I tend to look for the simplest, non-fried food on the menu.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I did the same thing Saturday night. Once I put in all my alcohol calories I was not happy but I had fun and needed the break to be "free." With that said I did work out so at least I did something smart !
  • katiepietaylor
    Options
    Try and pre plan. Many restaurants have their menus and nutrient breakdowns on their web sites...also drink a couple of pints of water before you go. (however I did exactly the same as you last weekend despite the pre plan) still tomorrow is another day. Good luck
  • tawny2727
    tawny2727 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi. I usually order healthy, eat half and ALWAYS take the other half home for the next day. I still get to enjoy appetizers and not feel so guilty. I also drink tons of water (if you are having cocktails make sure you drink water).
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Definitely face planted yesterday when I was out with friends and went WAY over my calorie intake for the day.
    Any tips on sticking with it when out in social situations?

I have this problem too sometimes - if you know where you are going, plan ahead. Take a look at their online menu (if you can) and find nutrition counts. Plan what you're eating and stick to it.

Avoid appetizers because they can KILL your plan - or, plan to eat one of those for dinner.
    Watch salads- with all the extra stuff, they can be 1200 calories with out blinking an eye.
    Ask for a box when you get your plate - immediately put half your food in it. out of sight, out of mind.
    Don't drink alcohol - wasted calories
    Drink water during the meal - I try to pound a glass or two before the food comes to fill up on water.

If you know you can't avoid it, work out before to get some calories back, then you'll have more to use.

Remember - it's not about the food or the drink, it's about the company. If you can prepare ahead of time, you won't feel panicked in the situation and then guilty after it. Don't let them pressure you into eating (I get this from my family all the time). You'll be amazed if you can find the willpower, it's freeing.
  • RenRenO
    RenRenO Posts: 8
    Options
    I find it also extremely hard to stay on track when out with friends! But for example if your at a restaurant, order a salad instead of the potatoes or fries .. ! Even though your friends might order nachos or wings, try to stay away even if they offer. I find for me, if I only take one bite, it kills me and I just want more! Just try to stay forcused on your goal, and when you've done a week of healthy eating, then go out with friends, just keep in mind that you did so well and you don't want to screw that up :) Just stay focused and your friends should be respecting that, and helping you!! :tongue:
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are very social with our friends. We go out to dinner at least twice a week with them and then usually go to a bar for drinks. I have found the best way to stay within my allowed calories is to know where we are going to eat before hand (BJ's Brewhouse, TGI Fridays, Sushi) and pre-plan what Im going to eat. I will look on here or google the nutritional information for the restaurant. I stick to what I told myself I am going to eat and am very happy with my guilt free decisions.

Hope this helps :)