How much is too much water?

Options
I read that you should drink half your weight in ounces. A person that weighs 200 pounds should drink 100 ounces. Any thoughts?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    If your pee is light yellow or clear, you're drinking enough.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If your pee is light yellow or clear, you're drinking enough.

I second this
  • justkrissy
    justkrissy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I don't think you can drink too much water, or Atleast it would be too hard. Your body will take what it needs and then you will just pee the rest of it out.
  • jmatney79
    jmatney79 Posts: 80
    Options
    I heard you could flush out you sodium levels, it's called water intoxication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    You can drink too much water. Floods the kidneys and strips your body of minerals and your nails stop growing and your hair starts falling out. My friend was told by several doctors she was going to kill herself. She's better now though!! dont consume more then 3 litres of water a day - an average adult should drink about 2.5 litres. So according to your activity level anywhere between 2.5 and 3. but not over.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It depends on your activity level and other factors theres no hard and fast rule like above mentions...

I have to drink at lease 4 L + a day thats 128oz roughly and its usually over that , have been for years never an issue. because i run and workout everyday
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You CAN drink too much water, but it's USUALLY measured in gallons. It depends on your own specific needs. I drink around a gallon a day, and my pee is rarely pale yellow or clear, usually darker. (Sorry if TMI!) Just to make the point, every person's requirement is different. Some people cannot have more than a few ounces of plain water at a time due to messing up their electrolytes.
    Drink as much as you want. If you can't drink anymore, then stop! The half your weight in pounds as ounces of water is great for weight loss, but not necessary for it. It's a suggestion. Just like the 8 8-ounce glasses a day.