Eat What You Want And Still Loose Weight

Options

Replies

• NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but what I want to eat has changed drastically in the last few years. Gone are the days of craving cheeseburgers and deep fried cauliflower. Now what I want are chicken sandwiches or a salad. I have evolved a little tiny bit.

Deep fried cauliflower?? I love salad as much as the next person, but GAWD that sound SO good! I guess I'm not evolved enough, LOL.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whatever I want, fitting bad food into your diet but keeping you under your calorie goal is just filling your body with empty calories and not the nutrition your body needs. 90% of my diet is healthy, and the other 10% is bad food, just so I don't go crazy! Try to make the junk food more of a luxury than a necessity! Eventually it will catch up to you.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I don't limit what I eat per se... but my whole goal on MFP has been to change the way I look at food, change my lifestyle, etc. For me that means not limiting any type of food (i.e. being able to enjoy onion rings when I want them without guilt, but also maintaining a fairly healthy lifestyle.) For me, this is a lifetime thing... and I can't live my life without some french fries or ice cream once in a while.

However, I am also of the opinion that if you want a ripped body - or very very toned body, those delicious deep fried/fast food/high in fat or sugar foods must take a back seat - at least until you achieve your goal. If you don't, you can be limiting your progress. However, if you don't care about that, then hell... everything in moderation. :)
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like as long as it fits into my Nutritional Diary, I do tend to think a lot more though about what I eat than I ever have and after a year of doing this everything is figures (cals,fat,protein etc) So I find myself eating what I want but healthier alternatives. If I wanted chocolate for example I would have a milky way, fudge, milkybar or Bourville if I am splashing out lol. Crisps I choose Velvet Crunch or Snack a Jacks so I guess I do compromise. I also eat more fruit and veg than I used to because as someone said earler the healthier food I eat the more I can fit into 1200 calories. If you look at my diary (open to friends) then you would see lots of good things everyday, only they are smaller portions. It has worked for me so far and I think you should choose a eating plan that you are most likely to stick with as I know myself I will probably be logging forever! :laugh:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Deep fried cauliflower?? I love salad as much as the next person, but GAWD that sound SO good! I guess I'm not evolved enough, LOL.

Honestly, it is pretty amazing. My brother in law used to make it for me and sprinkle parmesan cheese on it and dip it in marinara sauce. So delicious.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I eat more or less what I want to eat, just not in the vast quantities that I used to eat. That's not to say I don't make choices - I don't eat the vast quantities of pasta and bread that I used to consume as comfort food - but most days I'm under my target, so if I go over on other days, it's all checks and balances and as long as I keep losing and not gain significantly, then it works for me. :happy:

Ultimately, to be successful in this weight-loss game you either have to be super-disciplined (which let's face it, most of us aren't otherwise we'd never have had issues with over-eating) or realistic. Being realistic is finding a sustainable food and exercise plan that works for you, fits into your life without too much sacrifice and disruption and most importantly, one that you enjoy. For if you cannot enjoy life, then methinks something needs to change!
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost most of my weight! :drinker:
  • p_nutprincess
    p_nutprincess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just remember:

1,000 calories of spinach does not equal 1,000 calories of pizza.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere about the 80/20 rule. Eat 80% of your meals with clean, healthy foods (grilled chicken, egg whites, yams, brown rice, oatmeal) and you can afford to eat 20% of them "off the wagon" but still stick to your caloric goal. So for me, out of the 42 meals I eat a week (6 meals per day), I have 8 where I can be a little looser (a slice of pizza with the kids or a few wings with the fellas).

Wish you the best!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I have not cut out a single thing (ok I rarely drink non-diet soda, but that's it). I eat pasta 2-3 times a week. I have pizza, burgers, pad thai, you name it.

I keep it under my calorie limit. That's all.

Working out will help you get the body you want. Other than that just watch your calories. True it may not work for everyone, but it sure worked for me.

Good luck to you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I wanted (within reason) and maintained my macros as best I could, while staying within my calorie deficit, and lost 20 pounds last year.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Everything except stuffed peppers. Those make me fat.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

It depends on your goal. For some, you might have to cut fat and watch the carbs in order to get where you want to be. So, it's a little more than just watching calories. But, if you just watch calories, you will lose weight to a certain point.

Not true. There is a recent study where they put three different groups on three different levels of macros (I forget the exact percentages) and the same calorie deficit. All three groups had the same results. You can play with your macros all you want. They might help your energy levels or help not be so hungry, but they don't make a difference in your weight loss.

Cite it. I don't believe it. If I ate 1800 calories of twinkies daily, I would have a different result than eating wholesome food. I believe that pretty passionately. Id have to see the study, who conducted it, where, who were the participants and the results and conclusions.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but what I want to eat has changed drastically in the last few years. Gone are the days of craving cheeseburgers and deep fried cauliflower. Now what I want are chicken sandwiches or a salad. I have evolved a little tiny bit.

Same here.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I do what I can each day to save some room for something that I want, chocolate, real cheeseburger instead of turkey burger, etc. Today, for dinner we are probably having tacos. I wanted a chocolate bar today. I will not be eating tortillas tonight - I'll use lettuce wraps instead. I keep the calories the same. I just chose what I wanted the most.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I want...just tiny little portions. Last night my family went out for ice cream...so I ordered a baby sized cup of frozen yogurt. I got about a teaspoon of chopped nuts and maybe a teaspoon of hot fudge sauce drizzled onto it. That teensy little sundae was just as good to me as the huge one my husband ate. I had some extra calories left after dinner, and after I ate that sundae, I was glad I did. I would have felt very left out if I hadn't.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want. Just not how much I want.

On another note, how the hell did a cheeseburger become "unhealthy"? I don't buy into this concept and I would love for someone to show me where it is. And show me with real evidence that it is "unhealthy", not some made up crap from PETA or a vegetarian site where people choose not to eat meat.

There has got to be hundreds of ways to prepare a cheeseburger where it comes out tasting great and is very good for you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I want... but it might be better to say I don't eat what I don't want. I'm not going to force down something I don't like just because it's good for me. So everything I eat is something delicious and enjoyable.

I'll also put in a lot of effort to make sure I burn enough calories that something like pepperoni pizza or a bacon cheeseburger fits in my calories.

And there's substitutes, like instead of a regular candy bar, I'll have a protein bar that tastes just as good, but for the same amount of calories as, say... a 3 Musketeers, I'll get 15g of protein.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent... I still have an ice cream sandwich or a candy bar but I space them out and not eat them like I used to..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my calories (although I suck at it), eat enough protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass), enough fat (0.3 grams per pound of total body mass, this is not hard for me though so I rarely have to try), and eat mostly "healthly-ish" food.