Question for you fellas about lifting for teen boys

Options

Replies

• garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not a fella but....my 15 yr old just told me the other day that his pole vaulting coach told him that him lifting weights at such a young age, he got aggressive about it a couple years ago, could have possible stunted his growth.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Wow, 6ft at 13? :)

Prime candidate for rapid growth injuries...

Could you explain this? He has always topped the charts as far as his size and has never had a period of rapid growth, he was born 5 weeks early and was 1 oz shy of 8lbs and was 22 inches long.

His brother is 16 and is 6'2(210) and little sis at 9 is 4'11(88 lbs). All AUNTS and uncles on both sides are over 6 foot as is his dad. I am the shortest at 5'9 and that's because my mom is 5'2.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My son is 13. He's tall like your boy. Wears a size 14 shoe. He's about 175 now. He goes to the gym with me a few days a week. Depending what machine he is doing, he's doing anywhere from 70-110 pounds. Neither one of us know a damn about free weights so he uses the machines that are already set up for you.

He is monitored by a doctor regularly for other things, but they know he works out and what he does, and they said it's fine and even healthy.

Healthy habits should start at a young age. There is a better chance they will follow through to adult hood.

Mine is in a size 14 shoe too and I can barely afford to keep them on his feet!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My son is 13. He's tall like your boy. Wears a size 14 shoe. He's about 175 now. He goes to the gym with me a few days a week. Depending what machine he is doing, he's doing anywhere from 70-110 pounds. Neither one of us know a damn about free weights so he uses the machines that are already set up for you.

He is monitored by a doctor regularly for other things, but they know he works out and what he does, and they said it's fine and even healthy.

Healthy habits should start at a young age. There is a better chance they will follow through to adult hood.

Mine is in a size 14 shoe too and I can barely afford to keep them on his feet!

I feel your pain, I had to couch up 100 bucks last week for new shoes. We went to like 5 different stores and couldn't find anything above a 13. We ended up trying a sporting goods store. The pair he wanted were only 50 bucks. Of course they didn't make that one in a 14. So I asked the girl to give me my options. There were only 2 options in a 14. They had nothing bigger than a 14, so I have no idea where we are going to shop next time around. There is a shoe store in the mall that carries up to a 18, and they are like 150 bucks and up! I really hope the pair I bought last week last him longer than the other ones did.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I had a swimming coach that had me lifting extremely heavy at 12 or 13 and my doctor told me that it sadly stunted my growth and may have been the cause of several other physiolocial issues I had as a teen.

I strongly question this doctors method of determining such a thing. Exactly how would he/she have know what your "intended" height was supposed to be? It's not like we come with spec sheets.

There is absolutely no evidence that something like this could ever happen. Sorry, even doctors can and do say dumb things. Especially if they have nothing else to offer as an explanation for a presented problem.

Ed.

I'm 34, I was 12 at the time . . . more is known now than was 25 years ago. All I know is I was having pain, went and had xrays and the doctor said everything was fine, still having pain, went and had xrays and the doctor said everything was not fine. I had my first double knee surgery at 12 and my second at 15 to try to repair damage. When asked about my exercise routine (which included swimming, dryland, and weight training) and asked about my weights the doctor discussed the amount of weight I was squatting specifically and said "well, that explains it, and explains why your growth plates are damaged."

I'm not saying that doctors don't say and do dumb things, all I can do is tell ya what was told to me at 12.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm on the there's nothing wrong with it band wagon. There's no stunting of growth and he can only benefit from it now.

I'd also say make sure he has a good coach to watch him and make sure he's got the proper form to prevent injury.

Other than that he's at the age where his hormone levels are going to make it easier for him to get stronger faster. He should see really good results.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Couple things.

There are some risks: Specifically with bone fusion as body is still developing and muscle growth may limit body from developing properly. The second is stunted growth (Doesn't seem to be an issue for your son who is 6' tall).

Advice is divided. Knowing that your son is new to weight training most of the adverse physical affects won't become present unless he is really pushing his body to/past his limit.

You can have him do body weight exercises. Push up (there are dozens of variations) and pull ups (again dozens of variations), is all he really needs in the beginning. Think P90X, only lower the intensity to his level.

I did body weight/dryland training from age 12 for hockey and soccer training. At 16 I started weight training.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ask any young football player, wrestler, basketballer, baseballer, etc... if they are lifting weights as part of their training regimen or not. I can tell you this, if they are not, they more than likely do not have a winning program. It's a fact that strength training is irreplaceable in a sports training program. It's been so as long as sports has existed..

My district did have champion football and wrestling seasons on a regular basis, but we never had kids in the weight room until around age 14-15. I did know a guy who, for whatever reason, decided to do a lot of dumbbell lifting when we were in the 5th grade. His biceps in particular are seriously malformed today. I'm not sure what he did that was so different from young atheletes who have done it safely.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    my sons 16 and has started to show an interest, he hasn't got any weight to lose, is 5'10 and has very broad shoulders already. too much to read now but bumping for later.
    if you are concerned for stunted growth, i wander if enough protein has anything to do with it? (just a shot in the dark)
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Wow, 6ft at 13? :)

Prime candidate for rapid growth injuries...

Could you explain this? He has always topped the charts as far as his size and has never had a period of rapid growth, he was born 5 weeks early and was 1 oz shy of 8lbs and was 22 inches long.

His brother is 16 and is 6'2(210) and little sis at 9 is 4'11(88 lbs). All AUNTS and uncles on both sides are over 6 foot as is his dad. I am the shortest at 5'9 and that's because my mom is 5'2.

Ah I see. In my experience, I found with my teams the kids that grew fast, their joints took a while to catch up with the size increase, especially girls, with the hips widening, the upper leg bones push outwards, putting extra load on the knee. Even in boys, longer bones, more leverage/load on the joints.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    my sons 16 and has started to show an interest, he hasn't got any weight to lose, is 5'10 and has very broad shoulders already. too much to read now but bumping for later.
    if you are concerned for stunted growth, i wander if enough protein has anything to do with it? (just a shot in the dark)

The stunted growth thing used to be "General Wisdom" from the 80's and turned out to be not well supported with studies. I suspect part of it came from having a lot of short muscle-men. My theory on that is that shorter men are more likely to do extra training (weights, martial arts) and the appearance of a "lot of body builders are short" carried over to "body building makes you short" stuff. As someone pointed out, look at an NFL game :) those guys didn't start lifting in college.
  • ericjr7210
    ericjr7210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Let him lift.... It does not stunt your growth. My older son started at 13 he was 5'10 and 120. He will be 16 in June and is 6'3" 185 and still growing. I wanted him to lear the correct way so I showed him and got him a trainer once a week for $35 an hour. This is key as he was starting to lift in High school the next year and they had minimal supervision.

It is important that he learns the correct form. even if he just uses the bar with no weights to start with and then gradually increase the weights. The increase in muscle will come in time. It may even benifit to get him a trainer once a week to teach him the proper form. Go with basic movements. Bench press, dead lift, squats... no need to get into isolating specific muscle groups for some time yet. If you have dumbells that is a good and safer start.

Most injuries happen when the person is lifting too much or uses the incorrect form...
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    weight lifting in young teens CAN stunt growth if the growth plate is damaged...

I would have him train at a local school gym with one of the coaches who will monitor his weight load and the amts that are increased..

correction it can affect the natural growth ^
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    He should be ok, if he uses light weight for now. I wouldn't start lifting more until he's 15 and then heavy until, at least 17. He should learn the proper technique. Two or three times a week is all he would need.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    it is ok if he lifts light to medium reps, lots of reps... but don't let him left heavy
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No, I would not worry. Our high school offers weight training for different athletics. Just do a little research about how to increase weights safely for his age. Good luck!
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    He shouldn't be doing anything other then body weight exercises, he could do things like p90x and the like, you could get him a trx (http://www.trxtraining.com/) or just tell him to do sit ups, squats, lunges, and pushups.

lifting weights when your still growing is asking for problems down the road.

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor, or even a personal trainer, but i have taken the Canadian coaches courses(NCCP) all the way up to level 3. and along the way this has come up many times.
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest a personal trainer or some else who is qualified to show him how to do it correctly.

Stunt his growth???? At 6 feet tall, how much taller does he really want to get?

I started weight lifting at home when I was 10 years old. I am 5'11" (just taller than my father) and am very happy I started early.

My single biggest concern is that he could injure himself (especially his back) if he isn't properly educated in lifting techniques and proper body balance.

If he learns how to do proper and balanced lifting he will be just fine!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    weight lifting in young teens CAN stunt growth if the growth plate is damaged...

I would have him train at a local school gym with one of the coaches who will monitor his weight load and the amts that are increased..

correction it can affect the natural growth ^

Anything that damages a growth plate can stunt their growth. Like breaking an arm. There is a higher risk of a kid falling off their bike and breaking the arm and damaging the growth plate then there is from them lifting weights.
  • rcates2424
    rcates2424 Posts: 208
    Options
    Go light and focus on form.