3500 Calories?

Options
So, I have been reading everything on this forum I can find about how to figure out your maint. calories, BMR, TDEE, knocking off 10-15% and losing a couple of pounds a week. Also eating back you exercise calories. Here is my problem:

I am 37, 6'6" 325 pounds.

I have used Fitness Frog to figure the number out.

TDEE for a Desk Job 3400
BMR is 2830.

I work out 5 days a week. According to my HRM, I am burning 600-800 calories, on average, a day.

So my TDEE * 85% = 2900 + work out calories of 600 = 3500 calories a day.

For the last couple of months, I have been taking in about 2000-2200 calories a day. According to everything I have read, that is way to low. I have been losing weight, but very slowly.

So my questions are:

1. Am I figuring this correctly, or am I missing something?
2. How the H*LL am I supposed to eat 3500 calories a day short of eating a whole pizza for lunch and fried chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner, EVERY NIGHT?

Like I said, I have been eating as healthy as I can for a couple of months, hardly ever hungry, and I can't get over 2500.

Guess I should go on a KFC, Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen diet.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Without seeing your food diary it's hard to make specific recommendations but you could consider adding some higher calorie healthy snacks (1/3 cup - 50g - almonds is about 290 cal with 10g protein and healthy fats).
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Taking your BMR of 2830 Giving yourself a 600 cal addition for excersize = 3330 cal minus 500 to create a deficit and your around 2800 by my math.. just a quick version.

as far as adding healthy calories look to calorie dense foods, nuts, peanut butter, healthy fats tend to be higher in calories and can hep you get to your daily goals if you are not that hungry.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • wowens1
    wowens1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    According to this post you don't add back your exercise calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/557201-how-to-lose-weight-correctly

or search topics: How to lose weight correctly
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    I know this advice may not seem very scientific, but sometimes theres a danger of being overwhelmed by the numbers instead of listening to your body. If you feel like you are eating healthy, you aren't hungry, you feel like you have energy, and your workouts are energetic, you are seeing progress and you are eating 5-6 small meals a day rather then your 3 large meals. I should say dont sweat it. Scuse the pun....
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It looks to me, if your numbers are all correct, that you need to eat 3500 calories a day to hit a weight loss goal of around 1.5 pounds a week. Athletes often eat 6000 calories a day, and they don't go on a Dairy Queen diet, but I bet they eat a lot more fat than you do. Fat isn't bad for. Not even a little bit. Don't be afraid of it. Add some to everything. :)
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    to add calories: nuts, protein shakes, cheese (not a lot, though), avocados, fruit. don't screw your body over by feeding it crap like pizza hut every day
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think as long as you are making healthier choices and you're not starving all the time, calories are just another number. You have to see what you can eat and lose weight with- MFP is just a tool to see how many calories you are taking in- you don't have to use the minimum/maximum calorie tool if it doesn't feel right for what you are doing. If you're not hungry and you're fine with eating less than stick with it! As you lose weight it will take less and less calories to maintain your weight.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

TDEE for a Desk Job 3400
    BMR is 2830.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if these numbers are accurate. I have a BodyMedia Fit armband, which tells me how many calories I burn each day. I'm 6'0" and 201 lbs., and just sitting at my desk and no exercise, I burn about 2,700 per day on average. Because you are much taller than me and weigh 120 lbs. more, your TDEE numbers are probably correct. So you've got a good starting point.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that you're not losing weight fairly quickly on 2,000 calories/day. When you say that you're losing weight "but slowly," what do you mean?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So, I have been reading everything on this forum I can find about how to figure out your maint. calories, BMR, TDEE, knocking off 10-15% and losing a couple of pounds a week. Also eating back you exercise calories. Here is my problem:

TDEE for a Desk Job 3400
    BMR is 2830.

I work out 5 days a week. According to my HRM, I am burning 600-800 calories, on average, a day.

For the last couple of months, I have been taking in about 2000-2200 calories a day. According to everything I have read, that is way to low. I have been losing weight, but very slowly.

So my questions are:

2. How the H*LL am I supposed to eat 3500 calories a day short of eating a whole pizza for lunch and fried chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner, EVERY NIGHT?

Like I said, I have been eating as healthy as I can for a couple of months, hardly ever hungry, and I can't get over 2500.

One concept you are correct on, you can feel fully fed, and your body may not be fed fully.

One big thing to above figures - and you do have the concept correct.

BMR calcs on age/height/weight were based on studies of people AT healthy weight, with certain LBM / fat ratios.
    You move outside that range, and unless you have a lot of LBM, that BMR estimate is now inflated.
    That's why it's said obese folks with lots to lose can eat below BMR safely. That's estimated BMR, not their real one. I'd say for you, that's still a sizeable undercut, but you can find out easily.

For better estimate of BMR to start the calc's with, use this.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

That only needs to be accurate to about 5%, take the avg.

Now get your BMR estimate based on that BF% and current LBM.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_bmr.html

It may not be that far off, then again, it really could be lower by 300-400.

And then same muliplier of 1.25 for sedentary to estimate non-exercise maintenance.

Then, I'd add your avg 700 cal burn on top of that for TDEE estimate.

Then, I'd take a 20% deficit, you have enough to lose right now. Later you can adjust that to 15%, and then 10%.

Then eat that figure everyday, which includes exercise spread out.

To confirm you are above BMR then, daily goal minus that 700 should be at or slightly above your more correct BMR figure.

If slightly below, and you have 1 rest day, don't worry about it. If more than slightly below, and 2 rest days, don't worry about it.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    TDEE for a Desk Job 3400
    BMR is 2830.

So my questions are:

Good job figuring your TDEE. Good job having a HRM.
    If your TDEE is 3400 and you want to lose 1.5 lbs a week, your cut needs to be 750 cals a day, giving you a 2,650 goal, or 2,400 goal for 2 lbs a week.So I would say if your intake is less than 2,400 that you are aiming too low.

Yes it is perfectly fine to eat back your exercise calories if you are accurately tracking them with a HRM. But as you have seen, espeically when you are doing cardio, it can be tough to eat back alot of cals. So if you don't want to, don't (unless you are already at an unhealthy weight, which you're not) because otherwise they just add to your cut. And as for how are you supposed to eat THAT MUCH, just eat healthy foods, just bigger portions of them. :smile:

You said you haven't been losing much. Are you being diligent measuring everything you eat? Are you not logging certain meals/days?
  • jsapninz
    Options
    I know this advice may not seem very scientific, but sometimes theres a danger of being overwhelmed by the numbers instead of listening to your body. If you feel like you are eating healthy, you aren't hungry, you feel like you have energy, and your workouts are energetic, you are seeing progress and you are eating 5-6 small meals a day rather then your 3 large meals. I should say dont sweat it. Scuse the pun....

"If you feel like..." Losing weight is science, it's not about feelings.

I know you mean well, but this sort of advice is unhelpful.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It looks to me, if your numbers are all correct, that you need to eat 3500 calories a day to hit a weight loss goal of around 1.5 pounds a week. Athletes often eat 6000 calories a day, and they don't go on a Dairy Queen diet, but I bet they eat a lot more fat than you do. Fat isn't bad for. Not even a little bit. Don't be afraid of it. Add some to everything. :)

9 calories per gram. This is the best way to add calories to your diet. BUT - stay away from seed/grain oils (also known as vegetable oils even though none of them come from vegetables) - PUFAs are the worst fats you can put in your body -especially come industrially processed oils. Stay away from corn, canola, sunflower (unless cold-pressed), safflower, soybean, peanut. Eat pastured butter, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil.

Human fat composition is about 40% saturated (PUFA is about 4%). The rest is MUFAs (% aren't exact).

Losing weight isn't about science. Sorry, but no. That's why America is in the predicament it is in. We treat our bodies like they are stupid. (When you feel thirst then it's too late...you are dehydrated. Thirst is the SIGNAL that tells your brain "I'm getting a little dry down here!")

If I feel thirsty I drink some water. Why would I otherwise?
    If I feel hungry then I eat something. If I don't feel hungry then why should I eat?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

TDEE for a Desk Job 3400
    BMR is 2830.

So my questions are:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Where did you get your TDEE from?

If your TDEE is including exercise, there is no need to add them again.

Just deduct 15-20% from your TDEE and eat that.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bumping for heybales reply. I think my husband is in a similar predicament since he has very high BMI.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've seen 3 dietitians who have told me NOT to eat exercise calories back because I'm still so over weight (244lbs) they said I don't need to until I get a LOT closer to goal. I'd just just upping it by a couple of hundred calories and see how you go... I don't know the science, but 3 of them all have the same opinion and I've been losing weight well. Zara
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Where did you get your TDEE from?

If your TDEE is including exercise, there is no need to add them again.

Just deduct 15-20% from your TDEE and eat that.

He got it from muliplying his BMR by 1.2 (sedentary), as he said he had a desk job. :indifferent:
  • dltaylor4
    dltaylor4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I am a little worried that I am not eating enough. I started this Journey on Feb 1st. SO I am about 13 weeks in, and have lost 20 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that I am losing weight, but that is less the 2 pounds a week. If I have a 1000 calorie deficit, that would be 2 pounds a week. I am closer to a 1500-2000 calorie deficit, SO.....?

I usually eat a protein bar in the morning before I work out at 6 AM, protein shake (Muscle Milk 17 oz) after work out ~ 400-500 cal.

Whole grain cereal with Fat free milk and a Greek yogurt at 9. 400-500 Cal.

Salad with Lean meats at 12 400-500 Cal.

3 is kind of free for all. Some days is is a mix of peanuts and almonds, Kashi bars, protein bars, protein shakes, Lifeway kiefer. Usually 200-300 cal.

Dinner is always a meat and veggies. Steak, Chicken, Pork, or Fish. Green beans, Broccoli, peppers and onions. No starch or high sugar veggies. 500-600

A glass of 2% milk before bed ~ 12 OZ 150 cal.

80-90% of my carbs are before 3 PM.

I also drink 10-12 glasses of water a day, some with lemon. NO POP.

35% Carbs
    35% protein
    30% fat

I am pretty strict about all of this.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    9 calories per gram. This is the best way to add calories to your diet. BUT - stay away from seed/grain oils (also known as vegetable oils even though none of them come from vegetables) - PUFAs are the worst fats you can put in your body -especially come industrially processed oils. Stay away from corn, canola, sunflower (unless cold-pressed), safflower, soybean, peanut. Eat pastured butter, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil.

Human fat composition is about 40% saturated (PUFA is about 4%). The rest is MUFAs (% aren't exact).

Losing weight isn't about science. Sorry, but no. That's why America is in the predicament it is in. We treat our bodies like they are stupid. (When you feel thirst then it's too late...you are dehydrated. Thirst is the SIGNAL that tells your brain "I'm getting a little dry down here!")

If I feel thirsty I drink some water. Why would I otherwise?
    If I feel hungry then I eat something. If I don't feel hungry then why should I eat?

If losing weight ISN'T a science, then how do you know that fat has 9 cals per gram? Is that because you FEEL LIKE IT DOES?!?! :laugh:
  • baribeau375
    baribeau375 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your BMR looks about right. Add in 600 exercise calories and you get yourself up to the range you cited TO STAY AT 325. But, to lose 2 pounds a week, you need a 1000 calorie per day deficit. So if you do your exercise EVERY DAY you can eat 2400-2500 calories per day. You'll need a 7000 calorie per week deficit to accomplish the 2# per week.

Caution: It's very easy to skip an exercise or two a week and two of them will "cost" you 1/2 pound!

Also, I started out at 300# and now am at 234. I lost about 2 pounds a week at first. It is very easy to UNDERESTIMATE the calories you are consuming unless you WEIGH EVERY PORTION. Guaranteed you can eat 1500 calories more than you think you are simply by being off by 30%-40% on portion size. And the body is very good at adhereing to the 3500 calories to the pound rule. It doesn't forgive misjudgement in portion size.

I chuckle every time I read someone say they have a hard time eating their calories. I say: "Get a scale". For a fellow 6'6" (I'm 6'2") it doesn't take a lot of effort to consume 2400 calories. I started out with a 1700 calorie alotment to lose my 2#/week, but as I lost weight, MFP kept skimping me down. Now, I get 1600/day if I do my 20 minute walk EVERY DAY. The 1700 I was originally alotted was WITHOUT any exercise.

I know that most days I am not HUNGRY; but, there are times, maybe 2-3 times per month that I am really really hungry in the true biological sense. But, staying on task and staying under 1600 takes planning and discipline if I am to eat nutritious, low fat foods. My %s break down: 15% cal from fat, 30% from protein, 55% from carbs.

Look more closely at your consumption. I'd be surprised if you are not understimating.