I hope I'm not making a mistake!

When I first started to think about getting into shape I was at a loss and contacted a personal trainer. Anyway, for the last two weeks I've been doing things on my own as for one reason or another our schedules get messed up for a meet and greet. The last two weeks I've been feeling great doing my exercise on my own, making good food choices and losing some weight so I went ahead and told him thanks but no thanks. This site has been GREAT with tips so I hope I won't regret trying to do it on my own.

Eek! The decisions about how to go about this are hard at first.

Replies

• awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Just don't let your inner demons get the best of you!! It sounds like you have put together a schedule and that your mind is focused on what your end goal is. I sometimes veer off track, but since I have been doing this since January 2011, I find getting back on track gets easier. The more weight and inches I loose, the more excited I am to stay on track. There is wonderful support here and if you find that you need the extra help, don't be ashamed to contact your personal trainer again to get that extra boost. Good luck!!
  • sunshinerae1978
    sunshinerae1978 Posts: 8 Member
    I believe in you. you can do it. I have a personal trainer I see every week, when my schedule allows me to. Here lately, my schedule has not allowed me to see her. I feel bad, but what can i do? Yes, doing it on you own can be tough, but with support and help from this site is great! Good luck to ya! If you need any help with anything, let me know! I'll keep ya motivated!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I'm still contemplating getting a personal trainer for at least one session.

Weight lifting free weights takes proper form or it can lead to injury. I've had a handful of minor injuries so far =/
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    See a personal trainer when you feel you're ready. I joined the gym in January and contacted one right away. We never met up though I continued my gym visits. I probably will at some point (I have 3 free visits with my membership). I guess I'm having too much fun exploring what my body can do on the different kinds of equipment and figure this is a lifestyle change, not a race. I have all the time in the world :)
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    I had a trainer for the first two months I began seriously working out (like 7 months ago). It was really nerve racking for me to train by myself after because I constantly felt I was doing it wrong. Now, I am completely confident in how I train and even recommend things to friends who work out with me! You will be fine. Keep working hard no matter what and you will see results.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    I'm still contemplating getting a personal trainer for at least one session.

Weight lifting free weights takes proper form or it can lead to injury. I've had a handful of minor injuries so far =/

Eek! Injuries are no good! I think that was the only reason I was really tempted. I mean I can cardio my brains out but I was worried about everything else.
  • nakedsun
    Thanks for the great support everybody!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    As long as you are feeling good and losing I wouldn't think it was necessary. Plus there are a ton of experts on here ;)
  • Personal trainers are a waste of money. Their "expertise" consists of a basic weekend course that covers anatomy. Most personal trainers have very little actual knowledge about the human body and how it performs. You can easily learn this on your own by reading some books or doing an online search.

As for learning exercises and routines. This can be found online or in books as well. Compared to the rates a personal trainer charges this is money well saved. Also, be friendly at the gym. Most gym goers are friendly and will gladly share tips and advice. I'm constantly helping people with form on exercises or showing them new exercises that they have seen me do. A friendly attitude will go a long way.

I sound very negative. There are some good personal trainers out there (there's just more bad ones). My advice would be to find a friend who is a gym rat (knows there way around a gym) and go to the gym with them a couple times so they can show you the ropes/exercises that yiou can then do on your own.
  • jwlav
    jwlav Posts: 31
    form is important but you can get all the info you need from youtube if you are smart about it. Public library for free info is good to. Jusr start slow and listen to your body and you will be fine!
  • nakedsun
    I don't go the gym so I guess that's why I was leaning towards the trainer. I've tried gyms before and I never stick with going there.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Well, it's not something you can't undo! If you feel like you're doing well on your own then keep going...IF the time comes when you struggle again, you can always re-up with your trainer or find a new one. It's definitely worth a try for the kind of $$ personal training costs! Good luck to you :)
  • This is an awesome site & I don't think you made the wrong move at all. I am loving my work out at home, lately I've been dealing with a pulled muscel so its been helpful to slow down just a bit, if your with a trainer or at the gym you feel like you have to give it your all other wise they won't be happy with you. Best of luck to you