Anyone else work with animals?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I am the technician supervisor for a small animal (cats and dogs) emergency hospital. I have over 10 years of experience. I do get burnt out and the pay makes me need a second job (I work part time at another ER) but I can't think of anything I'd rather do.

My dream is to work with big cats.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a pet groomer, dog and cats mainly. I worked in a salon until I decided to be a stay at home mom luckily me it's a job I can do from home so people still call me to bring their lil ones for me to groom.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am a veterinary parasitologist. I make the world a less itchy and bitey place for pets and livestock. :smile:

I can't imagine a better career for myself.

This is awesome!! The 3 veterinary parasitologists that we've had teaching us have been some of the coolest, most interesting people we've met during school so far! They tend to give the best lectures too, even if I can't help but itch uncontrollably the whole time! From my experience so far, it seems to take a certain (awesome) type of personality. :)
    Haha. I think you have to be really weird to like bugs so much.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    bull.jpg
    used to raise sheep
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    My dream job is to work with animals but currently working in academia. Moving on to something new (who knows what) come October though! Maybe I'll get into animal work - not sure how except starting with volunteering. Any tips anyone?! (I'm in UK)

I run The Mammal Society in the UK, mostly I just talk about animals these days, but I got to hold a pygmy shrew last week which was very exciting.

If you want to work in conservation the best way in is still volunteering I'm afraid, but you can do it part time with a paying job to cover the bills the rest of the time and the experience is invaluable.

That was what I figured I'd do so good to hear it's the way to go. I'd love to talk about animals as I really enjoy giving lectures, seminars and presentations on my academic work and talking about animals would be even more interesting :)
  • Ravenskunk
    Options
    So any fun jobs some of you have!

I'd love to get into wildlife biology and have the chance to study some of these amazing animals in the wild. Though ever since my first day at the center I work at as an intern almost 2 years ago I knew what my true calling was (rehab), i was excited to be hired at the center with these birds.

Since I'm here and this is my thread. I'll share a photo of me and one of my co-workers.
    http://fav.me/d4ghz5v

That if Guffey he is a Great Horned Owl. A permanent resident and education bird, he was found injured and after attempts to rehabilitate him he was left with the inability to fly but trained very quickly and does great work as an ambassador for his species.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I work part-time at a doggy daycare, boarding, grooming & training facility! I LOVE IT!!!
    I also work at an Insurance Company & if I could afford to leave my office job I totally would!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I volunteer at a couple local shelters and I also take care of 100+ feral cats. I used to work for a veterinarian, but the pay sucked and I had to find a better paying job. I loved that job though. :(
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm so jealous that y'all are still working with animals. I worked with them in a different way that a lot of people are prone to boo.
    For a while I managed a Pet Shop. I liked it, unlike a lot of pet shops we were fierce about the care of the animals we had (reptiles, fish, birds and small animals) as well as well versed on knowledge for pet owners who came. I was lucky that my staff and myself wasn't just happy with the training they gave us (which was crap) and most of us did heavy research on our own to make sure we had the best knowledge possible. I miss working there truth be told.

I also grew up on a horse farm. Well we had buffalo, rabbits, water fowl, dogs and cats too. The buffalo were more pets than anything though there was the cull :( I loved having the horses - a bunch of Olympic and well standing horses there it was awesome.

I still work with animal rescues now and work Part Time as a Event Coordinator for the local humane society.
  • Amore219
    Amore219 Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't get paid to do it, but I volunteer a lot for animal weflare activities. I have a website, if anyone is interested: www.thehelpingpaws.org. I write grants for animal groups, promote them at events, spread the word about missing/lost/found dogs & cats... Anything I can do! I also am working toward my Master of Public Administration with a concentration in advocacy - I hope to start my own animal charity in the future that would act as a temporary foster network for pets of the homeless and domestic abuse victims. :)

This is a great thread!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I work in road construction (they're basically animals)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I worked for 5 years as a Vet Tech (and managed the entire clinic inventory).

No longer work in that field...the people I worked with destroyed my passion. :frown:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    When I worked I always had animal related jobs... Kennel Assistant at a hiospital, petco, petsmart, dog groomer, petland... now taking care of the 3 dogs, cat and 3 snakes I have at home is enough lol
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    I am in LVT at an emergency hospital. We see all small animals. I love it. I've been worked for 6 years at a day practice/emergency small animal hospital. It was hectic but very fun other than the clashing personalities between shifts. I got my license in 2010 and have been at this place since my internship. I am currently going back to school to get my Zoology degree. I want to work in a zoo/sanctuary with Big cats and eventually do conservation research to help Tigers.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I spent 12 years working in Animal Control/animal welfare. LOVED it. Got laid off 4 years ago and am now woking in Human Services doing Medicaid and food stamps. I miss the animals EVERY DAY! But this pays the bills.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I used to work with cats in a shelter. I had to clean their cages, feed them, play with them, give them medicine if they needed it, help people with the adoption process, etc. I was a volunteer and I always looked forward to going. I miss the cats but I hated the other people who volunteered there, they would always leave a mess behind and I would have to clean up after them and they would complain about me leaving the area a mess when I always had the place spotless. :grumble: