Workout Everyday, but I Still Feel Lazy

Options
I go to the gym for 3 hours every single day - and have been doing this since November. One week a month, I set aside for nothing but cardio, so I'm only in the gym for an hour a day that week.

I alternate between lower and upper body during the week: I'll do upper body one day, lower body the next. I do 45 minutes on the elliptical at 10 resistance, which, at the speed I do, lets me do 4 miles. I also work my core everyday. This is what it looks like for me:

Odd Days
- Elliptical: 4 miles, 45min at 10 resistance
- Core workouts: ab crunch, leg lift, stability ball knee, plank tuck jumps, sit ups
- Upper Body: bench press, single lat pull, fly, rear delt, chest press, bicep curl, arm extension, row

Even Days
- Elliptical: 4 miles, 45min at 10 resistance
- Core workouts: ab crunch, leg lift, stability ball knee, plank tuck jumps, sit ups
- Lower Body: squats, leg curl, abduction, adduction, glute

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I still feel lazy and don't feel like I'm burning calories or anything. I'm getting muscle tone, but I haven't gone down in inches around my butt and thighs. I try to watch my carb, fat and sugar intake, but there are days where I crave carbs like crazy. I consume about 1700 calories a day and still feel like I'm eating too much. I think my brain is sabotaging me. You know how your brain can trick your body into burning more or less calories?

I'm considering incorporating the Beach Body Insanity workouts into my daily routine while I'm at home - give me something to do while I'm at the house.

Oh. Don't know if it matters, but I'm a female at 5'10. I have no idea what I weigh, because I haven't weighed myself since I started doing all of this back in November. I'm terrified that I'll get on the scale and it will be higher or it won't be as low as I thought. So I just stay away from it.

Anyone else experiencing these types of issues (feeling lazy, despite being active)? Do you have any tips? Maybe any motivators? I keep getting in these fowl moods.

Replies

• mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Revised...

You're either working out too much or your body is bored of your routine?
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    Revised...

You're either working out too much or your body is bored of your routine?
    Totally agree!
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Rest day? Your body needs to rejuvenate itself... My motto: Exhaust/Deplete then Restore/Rejuvenate
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    You're working out waaaay too much. I see results working out 20-45 minutes 4 or 5 days a week. You need to rest more often and spend less time at the gym or else you'll overtrain.

And you're not eating enough if the 1700 calories is ALL you eat. Calculate your BMR, add 10% to it, and then add whatever calories you're burning at the gym. If you don't eat enough food you will not lose weight. (That probably is the opposite of what you've been thinking but it's the truth - eating too little is bad for you.)
  • KimJaejoong
    Options
    That's why I do that one week a month that's nothing but cardio. I don't know how to kickstart my body back if it is a plateau, though.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think your right your brain might be doing some sabotaging because you might be exercising too much. I know you don't want to but getting on the scale to see where your at is probably your best bet because if there isn't a dramatic change then you know to change up your routines more. I lose the most weight when I change my exercises every week, generally I am doing the same but I change things so dramatically it keeps my brain and body working. I workout 5 days, technically 7 because on my rest days I do some walking but my 5 days of workout are so intense my body needs the rest days to recover. If you want send me a message and I will send you my workout schedule and tell you what and how I change my routine it if your interested. For the most part we do the same stuff. I also change up my eating habits, not my calories but I don't eat the same stuff everyday or at least try not to because I don't want to experience a plateau and I have lost 67 pounds and have yet to experience one because I am always changing things up, it really has been worth it.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lazy as in "I don't want to": Boredom? Maybe a bit of depression?

Lazy as in "I'm so tired!!!": Maybe take a rest week and see if that helps, or have a doctor check your iron levels (anemia is no fun.)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that if you spend more than about 45 minutes in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

PT's, back me up here.

When people say they spend 3 hours, I think WTF are you possibly doing for 3 hours?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying that you might need to spend high quality time in the gym, and get rid of the stuff that isn't working. I found myself in that trap years ago, then I read a couple of books, don't laugh, but the first one was one written by Arnold, yes, the ex-CA governor. The second one was Body For Life, written by Bill Philips. After that, I did some research and found quite a bit of support for this fact that more than 45 min at the gym is a waste of time.

It's kind of like "too much of a good thing is too much" or kind of like eating more will increase your weight loss. All counter-intuitive.

I would recommend reading up on some strategies for strength training/cardio training, and nutrition.

People here might have some recommendations for you to try.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    That's why I do that one week a month that's nothing but cardio. I don't know how to kickstart my body back if it is a plateau, though.

Eat more!!!

Also, you can't work out every single day of the week. Taking a week "off" by doing "only cardio" is still too hard on your body. Be a couch potato every once in a while so your muscles can take a break.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that if you spend more than about 45 minutes in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

PT's, back me up here.

When people say they spend 3 hours, I think WTF are you possibly doing for 3 hours?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying that you might need to spend high quality time in the gym, and get rid of the stuff that isn't working. I found myself in that trap years ago, then I read a couple of books, don't laugh, but the first one was one written by Arnold, yes, the ex-CA governor. The second one was Body For Life, written by Bill Philips. After that, I did some research and found quite a bit of support for this fact that more than 45 min at the gym is a waste of time.

It's kind of like "too much of a good thing is too much" or kind of like eating more will increase your weight loss. All counter-intuitive.

I would recommend reading up on some strategies for strength training/cardio training, and nutrition.

People here might have some recommendations for you to try.

I agree, I spend 45-60 minutes at the gym. Sometimes less and sometimes more it depends on how long I stretch for really and how many people are strength training, which really determines how long I am at the gym. If I am at the gym over 45 minutes its not because I want to its because there are 32904382 people at the gym driving me crazy.

Like you I did a lot of research too because I am so serious about losing this weight and keeping it off that I don't want to waste my time. I want to do everything right the first time so in a year I am not like well I gained all of my weight back plus some.

But by doing generally the same routines each week your body gets used to it after a while. At first your body is like wtf and you lose quite a bit and feel the burn. But after a while your body is like HAHA I am used to this and you either have to work harder or change your workout.
  • KimJaejoong
    Options

I agree, I spend 45-60 minutes at the gym. Sometimes less and sometimes more it depends on how long I stretch for really and how many people are strength training, which really determines how long I am at the gym. If I am at the gym over 45 minutes its not because I want to its because there are 32904382 people at the gym driving me crazy.

Like you I did a lot of research too because I am so serious about losing this weight and keeping it off that I don't want to waste my time. I want to do everything right the first time so in a year I am not like well I gained all of my weight back plus some.

But by doing generally the same routines each week your body gets used to it after a while. At first your body is like wtf and you lose quite a bit and feel the burn. But after a while your body is like HAHA I am used to this and you either have to work harder or change your workout.

I've always been thinking it's the foods I'm consuming. I try to eat a lot of protein, but it's not always that easy. I've been so desperate to get a six pack, so I've become super conscious at what I'm putting in my body. That's why I'm so hesitant to take a break (longer than a day or two). I'm petrified of losing the muscle I've put on. During my last cardio week, I went from bencing 170lbs to 165lbs. I know 5lbs isn't much, but it bummed me out.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've always been thinking it's the foods I'm consuming. I try to eat a lot of protein, but it's not always that easy. I've been so desperate to get a six pack, so I've become super conscious at what I'm putting in my body. That's why I'm so hesitant to take a break (longer than a day or two). I'm petrified of losing the muscle I've put on. During my last cardio week, I went from bencing 170lbs to 165lbs. I know 5lbs isn't much, but it bummed me out.

Muscles NEED rest days. They get stronger faster.