How can I be too thin??

Options
The crazy tool on here says my BMI is too low. How can I be too thin if I feel like I have weight to loose/muscle to build??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight?
  • pippiagain
    Options
    Exercise, tone, eat recommended calories. Ask some people who can see you in person about the "too thin" part. You don't want to be developing an eating disorder! Ask several, so you know it is not just someone who thinks they are being nice.
  • bxtr87
    bxtr87 Posts: 17
    Options
    can I give an approx figure?? (REALLY self-concious...) 5'4", aprox 100lbs
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    that sounds super tiny!

if you feel flabby, then maybe focus on toning your muscles.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    That does seem a little low...have you talked to your doctor about your weight?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you are around 100 pounds you most likely are too thin.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Younger people will weigh less. EVen under 100 lbs.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to a doctor about this, not the internet. You might need actual help with this.
  • bxtr87
    bxtr87 Posts: 17
    Options
    The crazy tool on here says my BMI is too low. How can I be too thin if I feel like I have weight to loose/muscle to build??
    But I WANNA loose 10lbs!!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well...it does sound a bit too thin. What is your current BMI>?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" 100 lbs you are technically underweight by I think about 7 lbs. Doesn't seem like much but the people saying youre very thin are technically correct. You might get the results you're looking for (decreasing bodyfat and looking slimmer) by starting a heavy weightlifting program, eating a slight surplus (opposite of a deficit, you would be eating a little bit over maintenance but not by a ton), and working to try and make your weight gain mostly lean muscle. Bodies with lean muscle look firm and tight and healthy.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 185 pounds. Feel better?:bigsmile:

If you're only 100 pounds at 5'4" you would definitely fall into the underweight category of BMI. Perhaps, instead of worrying about your weight, focus on making healthy habits good for a lifetime! Focus on building muscle and firming up. We'd hate to see someone become anorexic around here! You may want to see a doctor about you feeling flabby. I can't imagine there would be all that much on you at 100 pounds... Sorry!

(Almost forgot my smiley!:bigsmile: )
  • jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I weigh 100 pounds but I am also only 5'3, very short! when I weighed 120-130 pounds I looked over weight so I dont think it is too thin at all!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

At 5'4" and 100 pounds, there's nothing wrong with building muscle, but you do NOT have weight to lose.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    can I give an approx figure?? (REALLY self-concious...) 5'4", aprox 100lbs

Yes, your BMI is too low. If you really feel like you need to continue losing weight, it might be helpful to find someone to talk to - doctor or therapist to make sure that you stay healthy.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That IS super tiny! I agree that you should focus on toning/building muscle. Why do you think you need to lose?
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You may not have the muscle built up.. once you start toning, muscle weighs more than fat, which may put you in a "healthy" weight category. That will then get rid of your "flab" and let you look nice. Be sure to talk to a doc.. and everyones weight is different for their body... if you feel you have some to lose.. don't look at the scale because you might be dissapointed to see it go up as muscle is built.. set a goal weight which may be higher than you are now but you will know its "good" weight =)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

you should actually gain weight, but muscle weight, not fat weight. If you put on 10 pounds of muscle, you'll look about 10 pounds thinner than you do now. You don't need to lose weight, you need to lose fat.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I think you will be much happier with the results if you focus on building muscle rather than losing weight also.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options

Why?