Gained 1 Pound

Options
So I have been going a long thinking I am doing great...Im even down one belt loop (that is my NSV)! I use my In-law's scale and only weigh myself when I go over there for Sunday dinner. So last night I hopped in the scale for the first time in 2 weeks and found that I have gained. I hope its an error in the scale but its a real motivation killer. I know 1 pound isnt a lot but its been all mental for me. It has deflated me but reengerized me all at the same time. I want to do well with this and make some good progress!

I just needed to vent a little...thank you

Replies

• skohl83
    skohl83 Posts: 23
    Options
    Have you been working out a lot? I have been doing the Insanity challenge and some weeks I gained a pound, remember muscle weighs more!!
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    YEs, I do work out, not as much as I would like but I lift heavy to build muscle...so I like your theory better. Like I said, I know 1 pound isnt much but I want to keep heading in the right direction.
  • skohl83
    skohl83 Posts: 23
    Options
    with lifting you are definitely building muscle, if I can make a suggestion measure yourself, I haven't had any luck on the scale but I have lost a lot of inches!
  • PattieLouise
    PattieLouise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After reaching almost 15 lbs in weight loss, I began to cut myself breaks - skip a work out .... eat what I want ... and almost began to believe that if I didn't track the calories in fitness pal they wouldn't count. Slowly the weight crept back up. Needless to say I was pretty upset with myself and rather than try harder I sort of gave up and gave in. Today, I had to pick myself up, weigh in and just own it! I guess what I'm trying to say is whether you have a good day or bad day, just own it and use it as a motivition to continuing working on yourself. It probably took awhile for the weight to accumulate ... it's going to take some time for it to go away. Just don't beat yourself up - remind yourself that you have had succsess and that you will have it again! And if you don't think 7 lbs is a lot .... pick up a couple of bags of potatoes the next time you're at the grocery store :happy: Hang in there!
  • hennagrrrl2
    Options
    It could also just be water weight. Weight can fluctuate as much as 1.5 pounds a day just from water retention. Keep track of your measurements, that is a better gauge of how you are doing. Muscle is more dense, so a pound of muscle looks a lot different on your body than a pound of fat.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    After reaching almost 15 lbs in weight loss, I began to cut myself breaks - skip a work out .... eat what I want ... and almost began to believe that if I didn't track the calories in fitness pal they wouldn't count. Slowly the weight crept back up. Needless to say I was pretty upset with myself and rather than try harder I sort of gave up and gave in. Today, I had to pick myself up, weigh in and just own it! I guess what I'm trying to say is whether you have a good day or bad day, just own it and use it as a motivition to continuing working on yourself. It probably took awhile for the weight to accumulate ... it's going to take some time for it to go away. Just don't beat yourself up - remind yourself that you have had succsess and that you will have it again! And if you don't think 7 lbs is a lot .... pick up a couple of bags of potatoes the next time you're at the grocery store :happy: Hang in there!

I pretty much did the EXACT same thing, kind of gave up and did whatever.....I gained 3 pounds back....so needless to say...I'm BAAAAAAACCCKKKK :)

hang in there! you can do it!!! :happy:
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more then fat. Its denser so takes up less room, but does not weigh more.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Everyone fluctuates up to 5 lbs on any given day..........
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You never weigh at night. You should weigh yourself 1st thing in the morning after you use the bathroom for a more accurate number.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning. Before you eat, after using the bathroom. naked.

1 pound could have easily been from a meal
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you have been maintaining a deficit, it is probably just water weight. Drink more water, especially on days that you eat processed food or restaurant food.
  • efindlay
    efindlay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, new to this, but I would say just hang in there. I was also discouraged two weeks ago, when I did not lose any weight, but manage to "gain" four pounds!! It was depressing, but I guess I was retaining liquids because I weighed myself a couple of days later and I was at the same number than before Easter weekend. Stay strong! and try to not look at the number, but at the overall attitude of knowing you are working hard and keeping your goal insight. Good luck!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reasons you could be up a pound. If you are on a lower belt notch, isn't that really what you are going for? To be slimmer than you used to be? Sometimes the scale doesn't move, or goes up slightly. These are not highly calibrated machines. If you are being honest in your food and exercise log, and eating enough, but not too much, rest in that knowledge. If you feel your clothes getting tighter, then there may actually be a problem, but for now, just keep on keeping on. Congrats on the NSV!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more then fat. Its denser so takes up less room, but does not weigh more.
    The vast majority of people that say muscle weighs more than fat mean that it weighs more per volume. People generally understand the concept, they just sometimes get the semantics wrong. We could also insist that everyone discusses weight loss in terms of Newtons, and mass in terms of lbs, but that probably won't help the OP much. :smile:

Having said that, it's unlikely to be a pound of muscle, but if you have been keeping to a calorie deficit, then it's probably increased water weight (eg. from increased sodium or from working those muscles) or it may be that you have eaten more food before weighing than you did last time. Weight loss is not linear and the numbers on the scale will fluctuate even if you are consistently losing fat. Just keep going. Obviously something is working if you notice the difference on your belt! You are making progress, so just keep at it and try not to let the scale freak you out! :flowerforyou:
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I love MFP because of amazing people like all of you that are here to boost me back up. Sometimes you just need a little kick in the behind to keep moving and stop focusing on the silly little stuff. Thank you all!