Still a Newbie...decided it was time to introduce myself

Options
Hello everyone I am relatively new here and typically I don’t like sharing about myself much especially about my disability however many of the “introductions” I have read have inspired me. Maybe I can inspire someone else. I did cut & paste some of my own “about me” so I’m sorry if you read that & some sounds redundant.
All my life I was actively involved in sports--soccer teams, swim teams, gymnastics, etc. I rode my bike everywhere including once across Cape Cod with a group. I was healthy and fit even throughout my pregnancy I stayed very active. My son was born in Feb. 1992

But then on November 1, 1992 I suffered a traumatic brain injury, it left me permanently disabled. I awoke from a coma with left hemi-paresis (similar to the affects of a stroke. I was only 18 & super stubborn so OT/PT kind of went to the birds when I didn't see progress.

I originally lost a dramatic amount of weight in the hospital because I was unable to swallow and had to be tube fed, the injury also caused me to lose my sense of smell so nothing tasted good.

When I was released from the hospital I began to regain my sense of smell and had an insatiable appetite because it seemed taste had intensified. The disability and depression caused by the injury led to laziness, lack of care & ultimately weight gain...an incredible amount.

As I recuperated I was able to get my weight in check (sort of) I fluctuate depending on seasons and I've never really had the flat stomach or amazing abs that I want but I'm able to maintain a fairly decent weight.

I am now 37 and beginning to suffer secondary affects I compensating for the limited mobility on my left side. I can walk without any assisting devices (except when I am hiking I choose to use a walking stick because I like challenging myself more each time.

This past weekend was my most difficult hike yet (I just added pictures. Coming down the mountain I required extra support from my brother, use of his arm or shoulder. Fine motor skills make certain footing positions difficult, my left ankle is weak and so are my toes. So although I can walk my gait is off and my balance can be compromised due to weakness as well.

Zumba can be very difficult because my left leg does not have equal range or coordination as my right. I try to just wing it in the house. But am I being fair to myself if I am not doing the exercises appropriately.

Last night I did Ab Ripper P90x for the first time. I experienced considerable tension and difficulty as I was doing the exercises but today there’s no true burn…did I do things correctly? I’m thinking no but I had to adjust to my ability.

My left arm is the true limitation, as with my leg I have mobility (not as strong as with the leg but the gross motor skills & larger muscle groups are more active and have greater ability, my wrist and fingers have VERY little use if any at all.

Due to my over exertion of the right leg and right arm I am starting to have joint pain particularly in my right knee, shoulder and elbow. I am desperately trying to rebuild the left again to prevent winding up in a wheelchair in the future.

Push ups are difficult (I refuse to say impossible because I will keep trying, but my left wrist buckles and after a long time so does the elbow. I use those circular handgrips "Push Up Pro – ultimate push up handles" (infomercial things). Pull ups are particularly hard since my fingers are kind of useless, I can do two with my son spotting me.

Yoga poses are hard because my arm extension on the left is difficult I use a Yoga block to help with extension when doing specific poses. I am really desperately trying to figure out making things work for me.

This is my journey; I am determined to come as close to my physically active old self (prior to injury) as possible. I welcome each of you to give advice or input, any advice from Physical or Occupational Therapists or fitness instructors/trainers (or anyone who has been walking this path themselves) on how to modify things to suit me? particularly about my food diary. I want to feel good about who I am despite my limitations. I’ve found that my weight and fitness play a huge role in how I feel overall.

Thanks for your time…I have enjoyed the friends I’ve made thus far and the encouragement they are providing and look forward to new ones.:happy:

Replies

• sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I am relatively new here and typically I don’t like sharing about myself much especially about my disability however many of the “introductions” I have read have inspired me. Maybe I can inspire someone else. I did cut & paste some of my own “about me” so I’m sorry if you read that & some sounds redundant.
    All my life I was actively involved in sports--soccer teams, swim teams, gymnastics, etc. I rode my bike everywhere including once across Cape Cod with a group. I was healthy and fit even throughout my pregnancy I stayed very active. My son was born in Feb. 1992

But then on November 1, 1992 I suffered a traumatic brain injury, it left me permanently disabled. I awoke from a coma with left hemi-paresis (similar to the affects of a stroke. I was only 18 & super stubborn so OT/PT kind of went to the birds when I didn't see progress.

I originally lost a dramatic amount of weight in the hospital because I was unable to swallow and had to be tube fed, the injury also caused me to lose my sense of smell so nothing tasted good.

When I was released from the hospital I began to regain my sense of smell and had an insatiable appetite because it seemed taste had intensified. The disability and depression caused by the injury led to laziness, lack of care & ultimately weight gain...an incredible amount.

As I recuperated I was able to get my weight in check (sort of) I fluctuate depending on seasons and I've never really had the flat stomach or amazing abs that I want but I'm able to maintain a fairly decent weight.

I am now 37 and beginning to suffer secondary affects I compensating for the limited mobility on my left side. I can walk without any assisting devices (except when I am hiking I choose to use a walking stick because I like challenging myself more each time.

This past weekend was my most difficult hike yet (I just added pictures. Coming down the mountain I required extra support from my brother, use of his arm or shoulder. Fine motor skills make certain footing positions difficult, my left ankle is weak and so are my toes. So although I can walk my gait is off and my balance can be compromised due to weakness as well.

Zumba can be very difficult because my left leg does not have equal range or coordination as my right. I try to just wing it in the house. But am I being fair to myself if I am not doing the exercises appropriately.

Last night I did Ab Ripper P90x for the first time. I experienced considerable tension and difficulty as I was doing the exercises but today there’s no true burn…did I do things correctly? I’m thinking no but I had to adjust to my ability.

My left arm is the true limitation, as with my leg I have mobility (not as strong as with the leg but the gross motor skills & larger muscle groups are more active and have greater ability, my wrist and fingers have VERY little use if any at all.

Due to my over exertion of the right leg and right arm I am starting to have joint pain particularly in my right knee, shoulder and elbow. I am desperately trying to rebuild the left again to prevent winding up in a wheelchair in the future.

Push ups are difficult (I refuse to say impossible because I will keep trying, but my left wrist buckles and after a long time so does the elbow. I use those circular handgrips "Push Up Pro – ultimate push up handles" (infomercial things). Pull ups are particularly hard since my fingers are kind of useless, I can do two with my son spotting me.

Yoga poses are hard because my arm extension on the left is difficult I use a Yoga block to help with extension when doing specific poses. I am really desperately trying to figure out making things work for me.

This is my journey; I am determined to come as close to my physically active old self (prior to injury) as possible. I welcome each of you to give advice or input, any advice from Physical or Occupational Therapists or fitness instructors/trainers (or anyone who has been walking this path themselves) on how to modify things to suit me? particularly about my food diary. I want to feel good about who I am despite my limitations. I’ve found that my weight and fitness play a huge role in how I feel overall.

Thanks for your time…I have enjoyed the friends I’ve made thus far and the encouragement they are providing and look forward to new ones.:happy:

Any able bodied person I hear complaining they have no time for exercise and fitness should read this entry. NO excuses!!!!

What you've had to do to rebuild your life after experiencing a debilitating injury is nothing short of amazing. Thanks for posting.
  • gnovi826
    gnovi826 Posts: 27
    Options
    You're story made me tear up. You should be so proud of yourself!

Please add me as a friend if you would like one. :) I sure could use some more of your inspiration!
  • rocklguz9
    rocklguz9 Posts: 18
    Options
    JerseyGirl you are my favorite person! Your strength and perserverence are really inspiring!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your are phenomenal and a true inspiration to everyone. I'm sure it was hard to share so much of yourself and I thank you sincerely for doing so.
  • JerseyGirl4eva
    Options

Any able bodied person I hear complaining they have no time for exercise and fitness should read this entry. NO excuses!!!!

What you've had to do to rebuild your life after experiencing a debilitating injury is nothing short of amazing. Thanks for posting.

Thank you so much, I am glad you've been on this journey with me so far.
  • MBuckler3
    MBuckler3 Posts: 22
    Options
    You are a true inspiration. The next time I don't feel like exercising I will think of you and no excuse will seem good enough. Thank you for sharing your story. Add me if you would like.
  • LunaLotus3
    LunaLotus3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading this makes me angry at myself for all the whining and complaining I have done. JerseyGirl, I will think of you and your story every day and it will serve as a huge inspiration (just like you) to stop making excuses and get it done! Please stay strong and don't give up, you obviously have a lot of fans now :)
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey. I am inspired by you and will never whinge again when I think something is too hard.

Blessings.
  • BritSchuler
    Options
    Amazing and inspirational!! You are so strong!! Add me if you want another friend! =]
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you, feel free to add me if you want, I am on everyday.

I accept ALL friend requests!
  • JerseyGirl4eva
    Options
    Wow, reading this makes me angry at myself for all the whining and complaining I have done. JerseyGirl, I will think of you and your story every day and it will serve as a huge inspiration (just like you) to stop making excuses and get it done! Please stay strong and don't give up, you obviously have a lot of fans now :)

Thank you I honestly get angry with myself because working in the VA hospital I see vets who are even worse off than I so how dare I complain...I'm glad it helps people because my mission in getting as far as I have is due to a friend of mine who as a baby had his legs amputated so when I started walking again...I did it for him.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Absolutely awesome and inspiring.....would love to have you as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you!

How strong you are! :) I have to admire that.

I am 57, only been here a few days.

I do zumba, but I have limitations also. So I do what I can, and revise what hurts (jogging/hopping = into walking in place).
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! Very lucky to meet you. Enjoy your day!!!!
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Hi Jerseygirl,
    What a story! Have you thought about doing water aerobics? It really is no impact on the joint. As a former personal trainer, I can tell you I have seen dramatic changes in people being in the water. Also if they have a Y or Easter seals. Near you, they might have therapy pool that are heard for your joint.

I suffer from a lot of Injuries and it is hard but I have to keep trying to find a way to work around them. A lady once told me, the day I decided that it was easier to sit down then it was to stand up, was the last day I stood up.

In health
    Karen
  • Mrs_Marchbanks
    Options
    Hey Jerseygirl!
    You keep it up!! I can already tell you have soo much heart and drive! You are the def. of "I am woman hear me roar!"
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I would really like to be be friends with you. I had a stroke and my left side is the one I struggle with also. I can relate to almost everything you said. If we become friends on here I'll share more of my story with you sometime-if you would like. For now, I'll just feel good having a friend who gets what I'm going through and perhaps someone who might rub off on me a bit.

Sincerely,

Lee Anne
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    JerseyGirl you are an inspiration. I know you will be back to you old self with the determination you have. Good luck on your journey.
  • JerseyGirl4eva
    Options
    Hi Jerseygirl,
    What a story! Have you thought about doing water aerobics? It really is no impact on the joint. As a former personal trainer, I can tell you I have seen dramatic changes in people being in the water. Also if they have a Y or Easter seals. Near you, they might have therapy pool that are heard for your joint.

I suffer from a lot of Injuries and it is hard but I have to keep trying to find a way to work around them. A lady once told me, the day I decided that it was easier to sit down then it was to stand up, was the last day I stood up.

In health
    Karen

Hi Karen when I was first in recovery I did some but I am definitely going to look into this now! Thank you for your advice.
  • diana776
    diana776 Posts: 54
    Options
    hiii! :) feel free to add me :) !