Exercise can be fun... right?

Options
I am having some serious trouble getting going the moving part of weight loss. I know I should and I honestly do have the time, anyone have something fun to start off with in order to get going?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Try a dance class! Or aerobics! Like Zumba or belly dance. Loads of fun and a great workout.

Exercise should be fun or you won't continue to do it, right? For me, the endorphin rush post-workout is worth any pain and suffering I might have during the workout. I love feeling strong when I walk out of the gym.

Find something that you've enjoyed before, and do that. Even if you're really bad at it. Doesn't matter, it's all about having fun!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    do you like picking things up and putting them down? riding your bike? running? yoga?

Find something you like.

hamster-wheels kill brain cells. You don't need them.
  • merilewa
    merilewa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is possible you might need an exercise buddy to make it more fun. Maybe you and a friend could take up walking. Spend the time chatting or you could join an exercise class with a friend. You can both be accountable to each other. One thing that I do...I love walking anyways, but find some days I dread going. I download a program I have been wanting to hear. I love old time radio so I download some of them and listen to it on the walk and before you know it the walk is over. Good luck!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ... For me, the endorphin rush post-workout is worth any pain and suffering I might have during the workout...

This is where I am.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hell yeah exercise is fun!

are you a competitive person? if so, try competing against yourself. i keep track of my distance for cardio and try to top that the next time i do it in the same amount of time.

self competition is also possible when you're lifting : next time try for better form, more weight.

if you arent competitive then look for something involving group exercises like spinning, zumba, aqua aerobics, pilates, etc

do you want to feel like a cage fighter ? then take a boxing, krav maga, or kickboxing class.

basically start with your personality and base your exercise from that.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise! But I love doing xbox with my girls. I even tolerate swimming laps, cause the water feels so good!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I like the trifecta of sexy dance, pole dance, hoop dance, and belly dance. Zumba scares me off because I am ridiculously bad at choreography and it hurts my ego.

I also like traditional gym workouts, but only because they make stronger for the trifecta of sexy dance. If you find something you LOVE, you'll want to train for it.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    do you like picking things up and putting them down? riding your bike? running? yoga?

Find something you like.

hamster-wheels kill brain cells. You don't need them.

This.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    These last two weeks, I've been skipping during my rest periods during weight sessions.

When people start to wander too close to me or my equipment, I switch to double unders. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whi-whoosh-whi-whoosh-whi-whoosh-whi-whoosh
  • mosschops20030
    Options
    BOXERCISE!! VERY GOOD FUN!! :smile: AND A BRILLIANT BURN!! X
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to hate to exercise, until I started working out with a group. Now I believe I'm slightly addicted to it and look forward to it everyday. It helps me stay motivated and we all encourage each other during this journey. Maybe find you some "workout buddies" :)
  • leakarina
    Options
    i am so happy i started a topic! you are all amazing!!!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    how about spin class? I became a huge fan of spin! A good playlist helps me with running too...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    how about spin class? I became a huge fan of spin! A good playlist helps me with running too...

Spin is GREAT with a good instructor!
  • MrsDutt
    MrsDutt Posts: 32
    Options
    I am at the same point as you are now but have gotten really good advice. I am going to find my workout dvd's and change them up as well as jump onto my WII Fit.

Back in the day I use to be fit and I remember doing so much more with my day, feeling so much better and energetic. I remember not being able to wait to do my next workout and I enjoyed it so much.

You can do it, just take it slow (I am taking this advice as I am typing so).

Good luck!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Seriously, find a buddy! It's so much more fun!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I enjoy classes like those mentioned above (zumba, jazzercise, step, etc.) but if I can do something right outside my door I'm more likely to do it (rather than get my butt to a gym - although, I don't like at-home DVDs much). So, I've gotten into jogging - little...by...little. Couch to 5K is really helpful. Also I'm a very goal-oriented person. Signing up for races gives me distances/timeframes to shoot for and I'm much more likely to stay on a training schedule that way.

As others have said, though, find what works for you - try lots of stuff! :) Good luck!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    definately spinning
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Find a friend to go with you, or find out what your interests are, a class? lifting weights? cardio machines? and do that. The hardest part is going the first time- once you go and get that good endorphin rush afterwards, you'll want to keep going back.
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm another one who really hates traditional exercising. I hate going to the gym, I hate sitting on a stationary bike or walking on a treadmill for an hour. So boring!

I would suggest doing workout videos - you can do them in the comfort of your own home and there are so many different kinds out there with terrific music to keep it FUN! I just started Turbo Fire which is a 12 week program that comes with around 12 different routines on DVD and a schedule so it actually tells you which DVD's to do on each day! It's SO much fun - great music, great instructor - if you like dancing, this is definitely for you!