Heart rate zone help

Options
Can anybody give me advice on setting goals when using a Heart rate Monitor? I use a Polar with nike+ and my usual average is like 163.
My problem is I don't have a clue if that is good or bad.

Treadmill based on my heart rate results says I'm in the zone above weight loss. Aerobic or something like that.

I know there is a weight loss zone and an aerobic zone. So if my heart rate zone is above weight loss zone does that mean I'm losing less weight than i would be if I was in weight loss zone.

Replies

• xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Figure out your max heart rate

then from there,
    warm up is 50-60 of that.
    "fat burning zone" is 60- 70%
    endurance is 70-80
    and performance is 80-90
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No, in fact from a weight loss perspective being in the higher heart rate zone is better.

The "fat burning" zone refers to a fairly low intensity level (60 to 70% of your MaxHR) whereby you're burning a higher proportion of fat as fuel but expending fewer calories in total. By exercising at the higher intensity you're still burning fat as fuel but, more importantly, you're burning more calories and strengthening your cardiovascular system.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    No, in fact from a weight loss perspective being in the higher heart rate zone is better.

The "fat burning" zone refers to a fairly low intensity level (60 to 70% of your MaxHR) whereby you're burning a higher proportion of fat as fuel but expending fewer calories in total. By exercising at the higher intensity you're still burning fat as fuel but, more importantly, you're burning more calories and strengthening your cardiovascular system.

ok glad to hear that ! I was worried the lower intensity level was where I needed to be for maximum fat burning. Pheeew that would be rough on those long runs! Thank you for your input Brian. My highest rate, like almost losing control of my breathing is around 185, but I'm usually around the high 160's.during the duration of the run. I guess I would want to maintain those higher levels for a longer period of time to strengthen my cadriovascular system and burn more fat.

Thanks again !
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    Figure out your max heart rate

then from there,
    warm up is 50-60 of that.
    "fat burning zone" is 60- 70%
    endurance is 70-80
    and performance is 80-90

Woah 72lbs lost, Good for you! Guess i have to figure out My Max first.

Thanks!