Scale won't move.......

Options
I just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem with losing pounds, even though u know for a fact you have been doing very good with eating healthier, drinking plenty of water and exercising???? I lost 11lbs and thats it........

I went from doing nothing to walking about 2 to 5 miles aday,15 to 30 min. elliptical training, now I have even added in 20lb weight lifting and abdominal crunches......I have been doing this about a month now and for the last 2 wks the scale has went up a few then down a few but I cant get pass the 11lb mark any advice????

Replies

• cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements since you started? I started freaking that the scale wasnt moving, and then realized i have lost an entire pants size, (i dont lose any across my shoulders and chest, so i dont waste the time there). People i work with have been saying they can see where i have lost the weight as well. today is the first time in almost 3 weeks the scale has moved.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem for almost 2 months now. I lost 14lbs between Jan 2nd, and March 2nd, but have not been able to lose since. I do 30-60 mins of cardio, and 10-15 mins strength with 5-25lb weights 6 days a week, and 1 day a week of 60-90 minutes of singles tennis in Texas heat. I mix my cardio between a bowflex treadclimber, gazelle glider, hula hoop, and recumbent stationary bike. All of this is with healthy eating within my BMR, and drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day.

I keep reading that what we are going through is a plateau, but I haven't seen an answer that I haven't been doing, or have recently incorped into my routine. It's beyond frustrating! I started measurements 2 weeks ago, and I'm still disappointed. I record measurements once a week, and in the last 2 weeks I've only lost 1/2 inch off my waist and hips.

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm with both of you on this subject. All I can say is it is totally frustrating and disappointing! I feel like my scale barely moves..some people can cut back a little on calories and lose weight and I have to watch everything I put in my mouth and exercise and still nada..
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i was talking to a personal trainer about this! i lost weight quick...but then couldn't/can't lose any more...there are 3 phases-starting up...lose some weigh and build tolerance... phase 2-build muscle...phase 3 lose alot of weight! i've been stuck in phase 2 but looking at pictures i see muscle popping up everywhere...muscle burns off more fat but it's all a process...it took a while to gain it all it's going to take a while to lose it! just stick to a routine for at least 90 days and take your measurements! you will see those change quicker then the scale. keep at it! you are only improving yourself after every workout!
  • JensterPenster
    Options
    I just posted about this very thing this morning. I feel your pain! All we can do is keep going, right? I am trying to remind myself that I would rather have the scale stay put than creep up. (It doesn't help me THAT much, but it's something.) :)

Hang in there & keep up the hard work! We are worth the effort!!!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too. I did some serious off mfp research on bmr and tdee and after a lot of research, upped my calories. I started losing again. 1200 calories is too little. Your body needs fuel. It was tough to do at first, it seems to go against everything we have been told, eat a little and workout to lose. This won't work in the long run. This is what I learned, eat like you are already thin. Figure out your tdee based on your goal weight and eat that many calories, and you will get to that weight. Best of luck to you all.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    i was talking to a personal trainer about this! i lost weight quick...but then couldn't/can't lose any more...there are 3 phases-starting up...lose some weigh and build tolerance... phase 2-build muscle...phase 3 lose alot of weight! i've been stuck in phase 2 but looking at pictures i see muscle popping up everywhere...muscle burns off more fat but it's all a process...it took a while to gain it all it's going to take a while to lose it! just stick to a routine for at least 90 days and take your measurements! you will see those change quicker then the scale. keep at it! you are only improving yourself after every workout!

Thank you so much for this information!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Adding activity can make you stall out temporarily - new muscles can retain water when you change up or intensify your activity leave. At least with me, it always seems like I lose inches but not pounds, at least not at the same time. There's more than one measure of progress, so take your measurements and make note of how your clothes are fitting.

It could also be diet-related. Make sure you're eating enough to support your activity level. You might get better feedback if you make your food diary public.
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    :) your welcome
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    in the last 2 weeks I've only lost 1/2 inch off my waist and hips.

That's fantastic!!!! I wish I could lose inches at a rate of 1 inch per month. Keep up the great work and be patient, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    Have you taken measurements since you started? I started freaking that the scale wasnt moving, and then realized i have lost an entire pants size, (i dont lose any across my shoulders and chest, so i dont waste the time there). People i work with have been saying they can see where i have lost the weight as well. today is the first time in almost 3 weeks the scale has moved.

Ditto this! I was SOOO frustrated and then today I finally lost 1.5!! I also increased my calories over the last week as I realized from other posts that my BMR number was not correct. Whatever it was, I'm just darned glad to finally see that cotton pickin scale MOVE!!
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    another thing to look at is WHEN you are eating. That is what finally clicked with me. I am not a breakfast eater, dont even like mornings, although my job starts at 530 AM. I wasnt eating before going to work, or while at work until 11 AM. i finally added breakfast into my routine, and cut down on what i was eating at night. I make my own smoothies. I do not eat anything after 500 PM. That is what finally kicked mine back into gear.
  • sipseyab
    sipseyab Posts: 59
    Options
    I got rid of my scale for this reason. I had lost NO weight, but then I took my measurements and found I had lost a total of four inches. I refuse to be brainwashed by some stupid mechanical device. Honestly, I don't care how much I weigh. I just want to fit into my old jeans again, and feel good.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Have this problem too. Stuck at 109.5kg for the past week!
    RRRR its so frustrating...
    I think I know what the problem is though.. I have been eating about 400 - 500 calories under my BMR a day with little to no physical activity.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters - check your measurements. The scale is not your friend! :)

Also, as others have said, you may need to eat more. Take a look at this article - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

A few years ago when I lost 15 pounds I learned that I had to eat more to lose. Especially with your level of physical activity, this may be something to consider.

I am new to MFP, found the site while searching for info about plateaus. I had to be reminded and I have raised my calories, but it is too soon to see if this has had any impact although I really believe it will.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    @cassie - Give it more than a week! The weight didn't come on overnight and you certainly won't lose it that fast either!
  • opiesquish
    Options
    Yeah me too! 11 pounds. Stuck.
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to losing weight I myself had to cut out the processed carb's. I try to eat my carb's before 2pm and it's only fruits, vegetables and brown rice. You will have to find your balance too luck!:noway:
  • wendy8883
    wendy8883 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice and encouraging words, and I know the scale can be evil, but as hard as I have been working it just would have been nice to see on the scale.......however I did try on some old jeans this weekend and they fit very well I was very excited then got on the scale monday and got depressed.....but I will stop looking at the scale and focus more on how clothes are starting to fit.......the only other thing I can think of is that maybe im not eating enough calories, so ill try to eat more even though the thought of that freaks me out .......

Good luck to everyone too!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mangonuts
    Options
    I started at 200, and have a plateau about every 10lbs. I found that when I hit a plateau gaining 2-5 lbs helped me start losing again. I'm down 70lbs right now and still losing. Definitely keep track of your measurements, that's very important. Try adding jump roping, that has boosted my weight loss again. I just do it until I get tired, so just whenever you feel bored do it til you're out of breath or until the rope hits your feet.