Soy Sauce Alternative?

Options
Howdy friends...

Does anyone have a good stir fry recipe that does not use soy sauce? Even the reduced sodium soy sauce is like 8 bajillion and 52 million grams of sodium. I'm making a nice healthy stir fry tonight and want it to be less sodium per serving .

Any tips?

Replies

• formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Broth? There are low sodium broths available.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Spoiler; your body needs salt.

There really isn't that much sodium in low sodium soy sauce (500mg per tsp I believe?)

If you are making a batch of stir fry...how many servings? If you drink a good amount of water and a decent potassium intake, occasional spikes in salt intake won't do much.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My inlaws are vegans and buy this Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce that has 490mg sodium vs the 920 thats in my Kikkoman. Probably doesnt help much but figured Id throw it out there anyways LOL.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will have to toy with those...

As for the body needing salt... I definitely know that already... but this stir fry with the soy sauce and the broth puts me over my sodium intake for the day by 500 mg. I don't like that. So, that's why I'm looking for a lower sodium version.
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bragg's Amino Acids.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Ketchup.

Ketchup and Coke Zero.
  • oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Best soy sauce alternative in my opinion is Bragg's Liquid aminos!!! Delicious - try it! It comes in a spray bottle and adding it to rice and such is awesome!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just use the low sodium soy sauce. It's about half the sodium of regular soy sauce.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash - they have a Spicy Teryaki Marinade that is 0 sodium. I'm loving the Mrs. Dash line
    of seasonings. I'm on a reduced sodium diet for high blood pressure. And, there is plenty of sodium
    that occurs naturally in foods (like milk, meat, vegetables) that we shouldn't need to add any.

Despite what some people believe, sodium does adversely effect your body. It can wreak havok on your
    circulatory system. The RDA of sodium for healthy people is less than 2300 mg per day. For older
    people (over 50) or those with high blood pressure - the max should be 1500 per day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    We honeymooned on a resort in the Riviera Maya. One evening we had the bad judgement to go to their "sushi" restaurant. You could look into what they might be using in place of soy sauce there, because it sure as heck wasn't actual soy sauce!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    We honeymooned on a resort in the Riviera Maya. One evening we had the bad judgement to go to their "sushi" restaurant. You could look into what they might be using in place of soy sauce there, because it sure as heck wasn't actual soy sauce!
    Corona & ketchup mix.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Y'all rock... thanks for all the great tips! I must search for this Mrs. Dash and Braggs Amino Acid stuff!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I use Braggs
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ketchup.

Ketchup and Coke Zero.

Try this^^^ you will be very surprised!! good and taste like bbq sauce.!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Braggs Liquid Amino is pretty much the same as soy sauce as far as sodium. The serving size is smaller that is why it looks much better for you. I heard it is more concentrated so you need less of it but I don't know for sure as it is still way too high for me.

The recipe below is one I found online. i apologize to the creator as I didn't not take note of the site so I cannot give them credit for it. I don't have the NI but the sodium is next to nothing as none of the ingredients have any or a small amount.

LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE
    2 Tbsp Sodium Free Beef Bouillon
    2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp Molasses
    1/8 t Ground Ginger
    dash Black Pepper
    dash Garlic Powder
    3/4 c Water
    In small sauce pan, combine and boil gently uncovered about 5 minutes or til mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in refrigerator. Stir before using. Yield: 8 - 1 TBSP Servings

** Vegetarians could probably use vegetable bouillon.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Wildtree Asian Ginger Plum or Wildtree Pacific Fusion sauce... Delish.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I just made a stir fry tonight :) I use LaChoy Terriyaki marinade/stir fry sauce. I put 1 tablespoon in my mix (per person) and then I put 1 tablespoon on the rice. Tonight I used 3 tablespoons and it was 310mg of sodium, so its insanely better than soy sauce, and I love the taste :)
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Braggs has just as much sodium per TBSP as most soy sauce, if not more. Honestly, if you want the flavor of soy sauce, but less sodium, just get a really good quality sauce, and water it down. San-J is my favorite. I find that a splash of lime juice enhances flavors, too, so I'll often mix tamari, lime juice, and water in a little teacup, and use it in place of just tamari. Not really watching my sodium, though, just don't like things to be too salty!
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Bragg's Amino Acids.

I like this too