Spaghetti Squash Recipes?

Options
JSMSDSAS05
JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
I was looking on here a few months ago and kept reading posts about spaghetti squash and how everyone loves it to replace regular spaghetti. I didn't even know what it was. Well I finally got around to buying one but don't know how to make it. So can you please give me some recipes? It can be as simple as how to make it. I'll get into the more complex recipes after I decide if I even like it! I was looking at some recipe sites and alot called for peppers and/or onions.........not a fan of either of those!

Replies

• opulentase
    opulentase Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just tried making one a few months ago and it came out great!! Basically what you do is cut it in half length wise and scoop the seeds out. Flip them upside down on a cookie sheet and bake it at 350° for an hour I think. Take them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes and scape out the insides. Add butter, salt, and pepper and you can eat it straight or add spaghetti sauce if you want.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I just tried making one a few months ago and it came out great!! Basically what you do is cut it in half length wise and scoop the seeds out. Flip them upside down on a cookie sheet and bake it at 350° for an hour I think. Take them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes and scape out the insides. Add butter, salt, and pepper and you can eat it straight or add spaghetti sauce if you want.
    I love the above too!...You can also add a little extra virgin olive oil...some chopped basil and a lil parmasean...Soooooo deeeeeelish!:smile: The only pain I find is cutting the darn thing....
  • JSMSDSAS05
    JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you go to skinnytaste.com and search for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna you won't regret it. It was so good. Just drain the squash really well or it gets a little watery. Still yummy.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can also Search Spaghetti Squash on this site and find all of those recipes you have seen.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I bake it same as above... but add some becel (a tablespoon is enough) and some italian seasoning (the dry herbs) and low-fat parmesean cheese... mmmm...:happy:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I just tried it tonight for the first time, and was very pleasantly surprised. I cut it in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, spritzed a bit of olive oil on it. Then covered with plastic wrap, and microwaved for 15 minutes.

When it's soft, shred with a fork into spaghetti-looking strands. I topped with parmesan cheese, peppers, garlic, and olive oil. It definitely tasted like pasta, and a fraction of the calories and carbs.
  • Bostonstacey
    Bostonstacey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can cook it in the microwave. You have to poke a bunch of holes in it (I use a meat thermometer, but anything that pierces works). Put in a dish to catch the juices, then put in in the microwave on high for ten minutes. After it's done, leave it in the microwave for another five minutes to finissh cooking. When it's done, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, then scrape the squash away with a fork.

I use them for everything.... with meatballs, etc. One of my favorites recently is to cook up a chicken sausage or two with roasted red peppers, sweet onion, scallions, garlic, and canned tomato sauce in a sauce pan and then pour it on top of the squash. So good.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cut in half, roast at 350 for 40-60 minutes (depending on size!), remove seeds and run a fork through it creating those strands, then set the strands in a collander to drain.
    In a pan, I sautee mushrooms, zucchini and bell pepper. Once this mixture is almost at "ready" (I like it fairly soft, but if you like your veggies with a bit of crunch, it will be earlier), I add the spaghetti squash back in, as well as tomato sauce and some black pepper. Heat until everything is heated through. Plate, add a bit of your favorite shredded cheese, and enjoy! Super healthy!
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I kinda just winged it. And I hate cooking. So imagine how silly I looked when I did all this.

I poked a ton of holes in it and stuck it in the microwave for 8 minutes.

I made sauce with Hearty Light Prego (or something like that) and turkey meat.

Cut the spaghetti squash in half after its cooled and scoop out the seeds. Then take a fork and scrape long ways. I didn't add anything into it like butter (didn't know you were supposed to! lol) but it tasted great.

Its not pasta, but to think a cup is only a few calories-totally worth the trade :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I love the above too!...You can also add a little extra virgin olive oil...some chopped basil and a lil parmasean...Soooooo deeeeeelish!:smile: The only pain I find is cutting the darn thing....

Do you have an electric knife? That is how I cut mine and it works awesome!
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I just poke a bunch of holes in mine, bake at 350 for one hour and then cut it in half and scrape out the insides. I personally like to drown out the taste of the squash by adding garlic & onion powder before my tomato meat sauce, but it's totally up to you! I've also tried a recipe for spaghetti squash au gratin which was pretty good! I've been meaning to try a pesto sauce with it as well
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Twice baked Spaghetti Squash.

Cut lengthwise, remove seeds, place cut side down on on baking tray in oven. Cook for 25-30 mins at 400. Take out of oven scrap inside to form "spaghetti" place cut side up on baking tray, put 2 tablespoons of desired sauce into each half top with mozzarella (part skim/low fat) and some Parmesan cheese. Place back in oven until cheese is melted and sauce is heated.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Ditto! Get a large knife and keep your fingers out of the way. :wink: Look for a squash that is a darker yellow. The lighter ones aren't as ripe. I generally only cook mine for 1/2 hour or maybe 45 minutes for a large one. The longer you cook it, the "softer" it gets, so if you like your "noodles" al dente, go with a little less time. Also, if you like, you can keep the seeds and roast them... if you like pumpkin seeds, you'll most likely like other squash seeds, too. I lightly spray a baking sheet, scatter the rinsed and drained seeds over it, and very lightly sprinkle them with popcorn salt (I like it fine). Bake at 250-300 degrees for 15-30 minutes... keep checking them. You don't want them to turn brown, unless you like a "smoky" flavor! You'll learn over time what the right temp/time is for your taste.

If you just want to try it out, Ruby Tuesday has a Roasted Spaghetti Squash side that is oh-so-yummy and quite simple.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This might sound strange but I bake mine and after I scrape out the spaghetti, I spray it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and sprinkle it with Splenda and cinnamon! Oh yeah! Delish!
  • alyons21
    alyons21 Posts: 10
    Options
    Here is how I made the spaghetti squash , next time i will use classico pasta sauce tomato basil, the diced tomatoes made a lot of water.

Squash - Winter, spaghetti, cooked, boiled, drained, or baked, without salt, ele3 cup
    Light Life - Smart Ground Original,
    Hunt's - Diced Tomatoes - 100% Natural Rosemary & Oregano,
    Great Value (Bb) - Petite Diced Tomatoes,
    Mushrooms - Raw, 2 cup, pieces or slices
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Garlic - Raw, 3 cloves

Ate One cup but, this recipe makes 8 cups
    Per Serving: 117calories 488 sodium 2fat 10protien 5 fiber 6sugar
  • alyons21
    alyons21 Posts: 10
    Options
    Just a tip , bake it at 400 for about 40 min
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I cute in half lengthwise, microwave till soft and the insides pull out like spaghetti (oh, yeah, take the seeds out). Before I bake I put a smidge of butter with cinnamon and sugar/sweetner, or I cook plain and then put cheese on top....pretty tasty.
  • snc0225
    snc0225 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile: