Weighing Foods

Options
Alright, I hope this doesn't sound obsessive or anything but I have a food scale now and I was wondering. When weighing foods like bananas do you count the peel or not?

I usually count the peel but I wanted to see if I'm wrong in doing this.

Replies

• timbrophy
    timbrophy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No, don't count the peel. Only count what you eat! That goes for anything
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Uhm... are you eating the peel? Lol.

I don't really weigh fruit or vegetables. I'll measure out servings of like steamed vegetables, but when it comes to whole things like apples, oranges, bananas, etc., I just select the size I think it is off of here.

If I were going to weigh them, then no, I would not weigh the peel, unless I was going to eat it ;-)
  • iLinduh
    iLinduh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh mine with the peel too. I figure the peel doesn't weigh too much, therefore it won't skew my measurement too much.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    no haha why weigh the peel hahaha unless you tryin to figure out how many grams of peel required for someone to slip
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    Hahaha, I had just never thought of it before actually until just now. I usually measure it in the peel because I'm carry it with me to work and I measure it beforehand since there isn't a scale there.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No peel. Weigh one of like size and figure it out roughly on the times you're taking one to work and don't want to Pre-peel it. The database also has bananas as "small - with rough inches", "medium - with rough inches" etc. You can just use those instead of absolute weight.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh fruits- I select the size (small, medium, large). I know this is not as accurate, but I don't think I have ever met anyone who is heavy because they ate too many bananas!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh fruits- I select the size (small, medium, large). I know this is not as accurate, but I don't think I have ever met anyone who is heavy because they ate too many bananas!

I do it this way as well. Err on the side of selecting the large if it's close so if anything I've overestimated.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Since I like to eat the banana as I peel it, I weigh the banana when it is still in the peel, then when I'm done eating it, I weigh the peel. The difference is the weight of actual banana eaten, and that's what I use to calculate the calories -- the weight without the peel.
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Lol. You probably haven't, but I suppose it could happen. Anything in excess right? Reminds me of a story a guy I used to work with told me. His mother and her sister were eating and his mother asked her " Is that your 4th ear of corn?" her sister replied " Yes, but i'm not putting butter on it" to which his mother asked " Since when do you have to put butter on corn to fatten a hog?"
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I only count what I eat. I don't eat banana peels.
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • hedwighigh
    Options
    I'm glad I gave everyone a laugh :flowerforyou:

I read also that apparently the peel is 1/8 of the banana so you can do this:

banana you eat = (total banana weight) - (total banana weight)(1/8)

Dunno how valid this is, thought it was interesting regardless.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Sorry, that looks a bit too much like math! :noway:
  • hedwighigh
    Options

Sorry, my inner-nerd was showing :blushing:
  • Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I beg to differ!! I went to the Zoo the other day, there was this Gorilla there eating bananas who looked Mighty heavy!:laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I dunno about the 1/8 rule for banana peels- I recently weighed the banana with and without the peel out of curiosity and it was like 250g with peel and 150g w/o peel.

I do weigh fruit. Just tonight I went to enter what I thought was a "medium" granny smith apple- and the apple actually weighed 249g, whereas a medium apple by MFP definition was 150 g. Other people may be better at estimating size than me, but I cannot be trusted.

Similar problem- I never know how to weigh canned beans, once they are drained. I can't tell if the calorie estimated by weight includes all that water, in which case the calories per gram would be way off for drained beans. Any ideas for that one?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Nooooooooo...... not math!!! :sad: I think I'd just weigh with the peel and call it good.
  • hedwighigh
    Options
    Yea the 1/8 thing is wrong.

My previously 240 gram banana became 144 grams after I stripped it.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Since I like to eat the banana as I peel it, I weigh the banana when it is still in the peel, then when I'm done eating it, I weigh the peel. The difference is the weight of actual banana eaten, and that's what I use to calculate the calories -- the weight without the peel.

Exactly what I do