I'm taking the Tri plunge!

Options
I've been running for a while and completed a couple of half marathons, so I want to try something different. I'm signing up for a sprint triathlon in August! I'm so nervous and excited! It's just for fun t see if I like doing this sort of thing. Anyone else trying this for the first time?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did a sprint duathlon last year (I signed up for the tri but chickened out when I realized how bad a swimmer I was) but have been swimming all winter & will be doing my first this summer.

Do you have a tri club where you live? I joined one last year and have learned so much from the coaches and other experienced triathletes that I'm really looking forward to my first one.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to do the opposite...I have done a Sprit tri and would now like to train for a half marathon. You will love it!! It was such an amazing feeling once it was all done!! The hardest part for me was swimming in the lake. Do you have to swim in a lake or pool?
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I so want to do a triathlon but, no matter how hard I try, I just can't run! The biking would be fine and the swimming I'd be fine with (did a 5k open water swim last year) but I can't seem to get past about 1k on the running. My boyfriend and I have made a pact that I'll do a 5k run and he'll do a 1k swim before the year is out - hopefully if I crack that I'll be able to move onto a tri.

I think most people get intimidated by the swim and, if it is open water, I would strongly recommend hunting out a tri club in your area to see if they do open water swim training - it is very different from swimming in a pool. It's not scary once you've had a go but it is different - no lines of the pool to follow so you have to learn how to sight. I actually find it easier in open water because you're more buoyant in a wetsuit.

Hope you get on OK - hopefully this time next year I'll have done my first one too
  • miss_september
    Options
    I"m actually doing my fourth sprint triathlon at the end of May! I started three years ago with the Women's Gold Nugget Triathlon, when I was at my highest weight ever, and accomplished my goal to complete it and not be last place in my age group =-). The swim was the hardest for me then, now it is the running 'cause I am just slow (I can run, just not super fast). Anyway, I enjoyed it so much, that wanting to improve my time was what prompted me to start trying to lose weight. I lost 20 lbs and kept it off all year, scored 9th in the "most improved" category last year, and even signed up for another sprint triathlon locally that is co-ed, which I did with my brother in-law, and my husband was signed up but broke his arm in a motorcycle accident 2 weeks before so he couldn't compete. We are all back again this year, the women's event is the end of may, and the other the middle of June. I am excited, especially because I am losing weight again, and looking forward to trying to improve my time again from last year. It is so much fun, I am totally hooked! I hope you enjoy yours!!
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am loving all these responses and tips! Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes. It's an open lake swim, so I plan to try it out several times this summer.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    doing my first one in june. can't wait.

if you haven't, check out beginnertriathlete.com for work out plans and other advice.

start incorporating bricks into your work out. bike, then run, then repeat.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one this July! I'm totally terrified and totally excited at the same time. I've never done anything like this before - not even a 5k! But my goal is to get myself across the finish line and have a good time, and I think I'll accomplish that. I'm having a lot of fun training already, so that's a good sign. I'm real nervous about the swimming, but I think I have the biking and running under control (for the most part, anyway).
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I did my first 3 duathlons last summer and loved it. I'm so hooked! Did one last weekend - decided the night before to go for it, pulled all my stuff together, changed my bike tires, crawled into bed around 11:30pm, got back up at 2am to drive 4 hrs, race, then drive another 4 hrs back home. Came in 2nd in my age group and 4th overall female. Can't wait for my next one to see how I do on a full night's sleep.
    Just have a little marathon to do before my next duathlon LOL
  • thorn777
    thorn777 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    this is something i definitely want to try!! i have also completed a couple of half marathons but only walking. starting to train for the running this week, however not sure if i can do the swimming due to a shoulder injury but will be in the pool trying. I have also found a sprint tri to do in Aug. and am hoping i will be there. :)
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump for later