Difficulty reaching daily calorie limit

Options
So my daily calorie limit is 1530 with moderate excercise. On days that I do excercise, it ups to around 1900. On days that I don't excercise, well, it's still at 1530. A lot of time, I have a hard time getting up to 1200. In this case, is it Ok to go towards more high calories aka fatty food in order to get to 1530 or have a deficit of 500?
Hopefully that makes sense

Replies

• pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    We need to be able to see your diary in order to give you good feedback...

Without seeing it, I would say to add foods that are more calorie dense yet still very healthy. You could add nuts, olive oil, etc. Just adding random foods that are higher in calories isn't going to get you to your goal of getting healthy.
  • willis84
    willis84 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's open to look
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    How many meals do you eat a day? Maybe you should try increasing your metabolism by eating like a toddler,having many small snacks throughout the day. Definitely do not eat more fatty foods to make up for the deficit if your trying to lose weight. I almost always am under my goal. If you feel your not eating enough just make sure what you do get in has the nutrients minerals fibers and proteins you need. Like eating a teaspoon of spirulina mixed with OJ will you give all the nutrients and minerals you pretty well need for the day, also snacking on hemp hearts and almonds are great finger foods to eat consistently. Why you shouldn't eat higher fat foods is because it's just going to clog your arteries, cause stress on your body and raise your blood pressure. If you want to get more fat in get the omega 3's and 6's fats found in fish,seafood,hemphearts,flax seeds. These are the right types of fats that are only beneficial to your body and brain health( helps with depression).
    I hope some of this info is useful.
    -Kiera
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of options to use to get the calories in other than eating empty calories.... My bmr is 2300 and with exercise I am currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day. I eat alot of good fats like Almonds and Pistachios, they are high in calories and good for you. I use all natural peanut butter, 1% Chocolate Milk has 300 calories in just 2 cups... Kashi makes alot of great snack bars..... Best of Luck......
  • KateJP12
    KateJP12 Posts: 4
    Options
    You could probably get away with eating fattier foods (perhaps as a treat) however, in order to feel all around better about yourself i would suggest eating foods higher in protein and more whole grains because they fill you up and are high in healthier fats and useful calories. But pspetralia is right, your food diary is the best way to determine what you could add into your meals to up those calories :)
  • willis84
    willis84 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love almonds so I'll defiantly be digging in! Do try to eat 5 small meals instead of 3.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Add in more calorie dense foods like oatmeal and healthy fats like peanut butter and avocado, also don't fall into the "diet food trap" eating only reduced calorie foods or only tiny portion sizes. Also you can save up calorie shortages for cheat days, I usually am around 200 calories short per day (my goal is 1600 plus I burn 300-500 calories a day), I save that up for days I know I'll go over like weekends and special events so I don't feel guilty going over those days :)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. If it were me I would add in more fruits, veggies, healthy fats (nuts, avocados, etc). When I first started I found it helpful to decided on 2 to 3 meal ideas that I stuck to. It was easier for me to plan and know where I was calorie wise. Most nights I ate a stir fry of some sort which was easy to vary so I didn't get bored.
    Good luck!