Soreness required?

This is probably a stupid question, but... if you've lifted weights, and you don't get sore from it, does that automatically mean you did not work hard enough?

I always believed that the soreness was the muscles being weakened, and recovering. But I am concerned because sometimes even though I work out really hard, I don't get sore. :frown: I am doing the 30 day shred right now and on day 6, even though it is very difficult, I am never sore so I am worried my muscles aren't challenged enough.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I'm normally sore (in a weird satisfying way) right after a workout but feel it more the following day.

Is that normal for everyone, I can't say. Maybe you could try adding a bit more weight and see how you feel.
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    I'm finding the same thing with some of my exercises, thought I maybe wasn't doing it right, but I sweat and my heart rate goes up. Maybe I need heavier weights?
  • You dont have to be sore depending on age your cool down and how often you do a certain workout you may not get sore Just the other day i lifted till my legs were shaking but really stretched out my hamis after ward they felt fine the next day even though everything else hurt
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Soreness is absolutely not required, especially if you've been lifting for at least a few weeks. You should raise your weights anyway, since strength gains are a better gauge of progress that soreness.
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    If you aren't sore the next day (or even two days) you may not be challenging yourself enough and taking advantage of your body's potential to repair that broken down tissue. Don't go nuts but I'd slowly increase your weights and see how you feel.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    If you aren't sore the next day (or even two days) you may not be challenging yourself enough and taking advantage of your body's potential to repair that broken down tissue. Don't go nuts but I'd slowly increase your weights and see how you feel.
    Confirmed for broscience. My lifts are going up steadily, but I don't feel sore after a workout. The same with anybody who has done any kind of weight resistance long enough.
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    When hubby & I did P90X last year, we eventually got into a groove such that we weren't always sore (key words "not always", haha). Good stretching before & after, warm ups & cools downs, post work out shakes all really seemed to help alleviate any soreness.
    If you feel as though you're not quite putting in as much as you'd like, try upping your weights slightly to feel a little more resistance. Just remember to keep your movements controlled & quality ;v)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Soreness doesn't mean ****.