? For those that workout in the morning!

Options
I usually get my workout done in the morning, before anyone else gets up.. But just curious on what you usually eat after you workout (breakfast time).. I wake up and then go workout so I do not eat anything before.. I have protein shakes I would like to start using, but not sure if I have that after my workout? do I use it as a meal replacement? Or is it better to just eat something like eggs and toast? And have a protein shake as a snack like food? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you!

Replies

• dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'll drink about a cup of chocolate milk just to get some carbs and protein in my system before my morning workout. It seems to give me "enough" to push through.
  • Stymie977
    Stymie977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the moring as well, normally a 4-6 mile run. Once finished I drink a protein shake, and feel full, so I almost never eat anything after.
  • SocraticS
    SocraticS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming in the morning: I make myself a coconut black tea and mix it with a light vanilla muslce milk (just 100 calories) and drink it on the way to Austin's lovely natural pool:) I have eggs and ham with wheat toast, or veggies sausages and wheat toast, or oatmeal with nuts when I get back.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the first thing on my list to have post workout. Then when I get home I make a protein shake:

1/2 cup skim milk
    3 scoops protein powder
    1 scoop creatine
    1/4 cup non fat yogurt
    1 cup frozen natural blueberries

It's enough for two people.

Pre workout I have a home made granola protein bar.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar before, and if it's a strength training workout, a protein shake after.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    If you have time to eat something after your workout, that would be best. I work out in the mornings too, but don't have time to sit down and eat anything, so I have a protein shake right after my workouts. Then on my way to work I'll grab a steak egg and cheese sandwich from Subway, and eat it before starting work. It's usually about an hour and half after I've worked out.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    P.S. Unless you're adding other things in your protein shake, I wouldn't really count it as a meal.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a cup of chocolate milk or eat boiled egg (for protein) after I work out. But I don't eat my actual breakfast until I get to work, which is usually about 2 hours after I've worked out.
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I normally do eggbeaters and a slice of cheese (fat free) takes 3 minutes, and run out of the house. I have protein shake in the car for after if I am extra hungry
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm also an early riser and do my workout before the rest of the family is up. When I'm finished, I usually have a glass of chocolate milk while I get my daughter ready for school - holds me over until I get home & have real breakfast (two eggs & whole wheat toast). On days that I run, I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with berries, walnuts, honey and some greek yogurt between the morning workout & taking the kid to school - then I run when I get back. And depending on my run, I sometimes have eggs and toast after that - second breakfast! :bigsmile:

When I do protein shakes, it's usually a green smoothie with fruit, protein powder, fresh spinach, a splash of juice, and I do often have that for lunch as it is very filling.
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar before, and if it's a strength training workout, a protein shake after.

Exactly what I do, works well for me
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of whole wheat toast or a banana on my way to the gym, then when I get home I have a protein shake with some extra stuff (almond milk and fruit or peanut butter and a banana).
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning and if it's a hard workout I drink a protein shake but I still eat my breakfast. I use my protein shakes only for recovery.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input.. This was very helpful.. I like the idea of having something before my workout, but I usually get out of bed and run downstairs to my workout so there is really no time.. But I can do the chocolate milk before my workout.. And I like the idea that if I add stuff to my shake then consider it a meal.. I get up at six, but if I make something it usually isn't till 9, that's why I like doing shakes in the morning! :-)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I can't get a good workout in without eating something first. I get my workouts done early in the morning everyday as well. My normal pre-workout meals are either homemade cinnamon protein bread, toast spread with peanut butter and half a banana, or a kind fruit and nut bar. One of those along with my pre-workout drink which is usually neurocore or superpump.
    I have my real breakfast after my workout. :)
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I do my workout and then take the kids to daycare so I eat breakfast when I get back before I have to leave for work. That consists of Oatmeal and a cup of chocolate milk.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I try to eat something small before my workout, so I have the energy to get through it (a 1hr fitness bootcamp). I either have a small bowl of Special K Protein Plus with skim milk or half a banana w/ some peanut butter. I have a protein shake as soon as I get home from my workout to help replenish and repair my sore muscles!

I workout from 5:30 - 6:30am so by the time I get settled in at work, I'm already ready for a morning snack!
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I've been doing early morning workouts (I do Insanity) since around last May and I always eat breakfast right after. Every day I have a whey protein shake mixed with fat free milk and then I'll have a few other things - every day is different. some ideas of what I use: egg whites, oatmeal, peanut butter & banana, orange, greek yogurt, cream of wheat, PB toast, etc. :) Protein shakes make for a GREAT breakfast...so filling for so long, but I'd add a little more. something light will do. :)
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use to not eat anything before my workout. However now to increase my calorie count as well as my metabolism, Im now eating a low fat cereal bar before my workout then a make my own real fruit smoothie for after my workout to replace nutrients I lost.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ugh I wish I could function well enough to work out in the AM. Lol.