PLATEAU..

Options
I've lost 40lbs and still trying to lose another 30lbs but I have hit a plateau.. Any suggestion on how to get past this? I have increased my cardio, althought, I know i need to start doing weights but I HATE it.

Replies

• samanthaleethomas
    Options
    Yeah you really need to start adding weights. Cardio will only go so far. Strength training burns more and probably faster than cardio! Just start off slow and work your way up.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary you'll probably get some great suggestions! :-)
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Why do you hate weights? You will so results pretty quickly as long as you are consistent. I like Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. She incorporates weight and cardio in a 20 or so minute workout. I also really like the Firm. My "tapes" are probably as old as you are, but they work! lol Or, better yet, join a class with a qualified instructor. Form is everything when weight training. Also, reevaluate what you are eating. Maybe make some changes. I have been at a plateau for a while now too, and I think it bois down to too much cheating on the weekend. Gonna work on that........Good luck!
  • kdrose321
    Options
    I am not sure what your food intake is , but try eating more food. Your body might resist losing weight if you are not getting enough calories. Also, cut out all Rice, Bread, pasta, Starch (bananas, apples) etc... Keep it to meats, veggies and nuts in moderation. I find this works wonders! Especially if I eat small amounts around 5 times per day. Good luck!
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definetly eat FRUITS AND VEGETABLES and try to incoperate weight or resistance bands maybe?
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    definitely add some weights and vary up the cardio (maybe less?). Cardio in a steady state seems to make your body more efficient with continued training, not less, so you have to increase the duration or intensity to achieve similar results as you previously did.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what your food intake is , but try eating more food. Your body might resist losing weight if you are not getting enough calories. Also, cut out all Rice, Bread, pasta, Starch (bananas, apples) etc... Keep it to meats, veggies and nuts in moderation. I find this works wonders! Especially if I eat small amounts around 5 times per day. Good luck!

bananas and apples are not starches. they are fruit.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    you probably dont have enough protein in your diet either.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    but...bananas and apples are carbs.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Banana's start out as a starch of which most is converted to sugar in the ripening process.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    carbs =/= starch

starches are a kind of carbohydrate, but not all carbohydrates are starches
  • Testosterone
    Options

low carb is not no carb. you need to have some if you dont want your breath to smell like a cat box. specifically from fruits and veggies. fruit prevents halitosis.
  • kdrose321
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/bananas.htm Bananas are high in carbs. Thats all I am saying. :smile: