Finding it really hard to lose weight..

Options
I don't have gym access.. I've been through a serious of workout DVDs I'm like 70 pounds overweight.. I don't eat after 6;30 pm.. I have an exercise ball.. no dumbbells.. I really don't have money for super healthy foods.. I've been at this for 3 months and I've only lost 5 pounds.. any advice that someone can give me.. I know it takes time.. but I don't see results which is really discouraging..

Replies

• Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    Keep looking at all the post. Come join me in a group, 20 lbs in 10weeks, and you will learn alot. The real basics is to drink alot of water, watch your calorie in take and sodium. You can eat at any time of the day but dont starve youself. Sorry am not much help... theres alot to learn and wveryone helps if you look and read at the.post. You can add me. Am 5'2 tryin to lose 38 to 40 lbs and so far I have lost 3 in less than a week.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with your calorie goals every day? Are you usually under your goal, or are you over most days? During times when I don't lose, I have to remember to be careful to log every single thing I eat, even if it's one bite of mac and cheese that I tasted while I was cooking my children's lunch. Doing that helps me to see where a lot of stray calories are coming from.

Also...I do snack in the evenings. I just save calories all day for it. So whether you eat in the evenings or not is probably less important than how much you are eating over the course of the day.

Great job losing 5 pounds! I am sure it feels discouraging but you have already lost 20 sticks of butter. :) The only other thing I can say is that you might consider visiting the doctor just to make sure you don't have any thyroid issues, etc.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I know not seeing results is very frustrating! Drink lots of water! Since you don't have gym access, try going on a walk each afternoon for about an hour. Do you mind me asking what your typical meals look like?
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Congratulate yourself on the five pounds you have lost. That's an accomplishment.

Set small goals. Don't look at it as 70 pounds to lose, look at it as the next five now that you've lost five. Then once you reach another five, set a new goal. Also, try picking a few things to work on instead of everything all at once. For example. focus on portion sizes or making sure you eat some veggies every day.

You don't have to buy "super healthy food" but you do have to eat in moderation whatever food you can afford. Make sure to portion out whatever you eat. I weigh my food so I'm not guessing as to the portion size. You can also do things like count out your chips or measure out your yogurt. It's a pain in the beginning but it will become second nature after a while.

Losing weight comes in the kitchen, getting fit happens in the gym so to speak. But you don't need a gym. If you have two feet, you can definitely walk away your pounds. And the best part, it's free!

Whatever you decide to do, hang in there. You're already off to a great start!
  • lmalaschak
    Options
    Congratulate yourself on the five pounds you have lost. That's an accomplishment.

Set small goals. Don't look at it as 70 pounds to lose, look at it as the next five now that you've lost five. Then once you reach another five, set a new goal. Also, try picking a few things to work on instead of everything all at once. For example. focus on portion sizes or making sure you eat some veggies every day.

You don't have to buy "super healthy food" but you do have to eat in moderation whatever food you can afford. Make sure to portion out whatever you eat. I weigh my food so I'm not guessing as to the portion size. You can also do things like count out your chips or measure out your yogurt. It's a pain in the beginning but it will become second nature after a while.

Losing weight comes in the kitchen, getting fit happens in the gym so to speak. But you don't need a gym. If you have two feet, you can definitely walk away your pounds. And the best part, it's free!

Whatever you decide to do, hang in there. You're already off to a great start!

This advice is all very good. This is a smart lady. You should do whatever she says. :)
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you open your food diary and we can see what you are eating maybe we can figure something out. Are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough water. Walking is fine...spring is here get out of the house and go for a walk! Best of Luck

Carri
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership and my grocery bill hasn't gone up, and I'm doing just fine. You can too.

Exercise: walk, jog, do calisthenics - tons of things don't require any equipment.

Food: Eat the best you can, and (after ensuring your MFP goals are set up properly) just follow the calorie goal MFP gives you.

If you're as accurate as you can be with your logging, it works. Promise.
  • queenbabyy
    Options
    thank you so much for your kind replies.. that means a lot to me.. I eat at least 2 times a day.. lunch && dinner.. I do the Julien Michael's workouts TAE BO.. now I'm starting on insanity which is pretty hard.. but I'm trying it out.. I take in less than 1200 calories a day.. i usually eat baked chicken and string beans.. i love string beans and chicken.. i try to eat as healthy as i can.. i drink plenty of water and propel water.. if the food i eat isnt healthy.. i never eat more than a cup of it..
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I do Insanity and I love it! Just stick with it and I believe Shaun T will help you see results!

Remember to DIG DEEPER!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough! Try eating breakfast, and there's nothing wrong with snacks. I eat every 2 hours, and I have lost 47lbs.

Also, drinking water is super important.

Just eat smaller portions, and you will be fine.

Good luck!
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I take in less than 1200 calories a day..

This right here could very well be the reason you're not losing any weight. You should be eating as close to the calories MFP (which is never under 1200 calories) has set you up for to lose in addition to the exercise calories you're earning. If you don't have a HRM, then you should be eating back a percentage of the exercise calories to ensure you're not "overestimating" your calories burned.
  • Catz15
    Catz15 Posts: 19
    Options
    Its been nearly 3 months I have been working out in the gym and lost 8lbs. You are doing great without a gym :)
  • lmalaschak
    Options
    I really would give it a try, eating a bit more. Especially if you are exercising quite a bit! If you eat less than 1200, your metabolism might slow down and then your body will use even less calories, so you won't be burning them up as fast. Try 1200 as a minimum, and if you're exercising make sure you eat whatever calories you burn from that as well, and it could make a difference. It sounds crazy to eat more and lose weight but it has worked for many people. :) Also, drinking lots of water really does help. I don't know if it helps flush stuff out better or what, but when I increased my water intake my weight loss got better.
  • mzcandanz
    mzcandanz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Which dvds have you tried? Have you tried doing Zumba? Am Im not just asking because Im an instructor, I dropped sooo much weight after starting Zumba and its fun too :) I loathe Cardio, and I find that doing Dance fitness is way more fun, effective (if consistent) and I forget that im actually working out... its worth a go :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • jinglett
    jinglett Posts: 69
    Options
    Healthy food isn't necessarily more expensive--watch for the fruits and vegetables that are sale. Clip coupons and use them when you're favorite salad dressings, cereals and yogurts are on special and use them. Planks, push ups, sit ups and squats are completely free and can be done easily at home. Start small and build a little each week. Breakfast is a must! Buy water mix-ins instead of propel--you will save a ton of money and still have tasty water. They go on sale regularly too. Smaller measured portions stretch your food dollar too. Good Luck.....