Morning or evening workouts?

Options
Preference aside, is it better to get your workout in the morning or evening? Or does it even matter?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Preference aside, is it better to get your workout in the morning or evening? Or does it even matter?

preference is the only thing that matters...some people find they cannot sleep if they workout in the evening...I don't have that issue...morning workouts blow chunks if you ask me...they are necessary sometimes but I hate them and never put as much into them so for me it is a night time thing
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    preference! but it's best to do your weight training first before cardio - it burns excess glucose off first so when you start cardio you can start with the fat burning right away.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    but it's best to do your weight training first before cardio - it burns excess glucose off first so when you start cardio you can start with the fat burning right away.
    How does the body know you are weight training as opposed to lifting a heavy baby or moving boxes? What is it about weight training that triggers the burning of glucose?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you burn like 5% more fat or something working out in the morning prior to eating...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I honestly would not get as good of a workout in the morning as I would in the afternoon or evening just because I don't have enough energy in the AM.... I'm not a morning person. At all.
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I try both morning and evenings - I base it on if I have time in the morning before work - if that helps
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the morning because it get's me going for the day. People ask how I'm so happy at 8 and 9 in the morning. It's because I was up at 5 or 6 working out!
  • amandager
    amandager Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    preference! but it's best to do your weight training first before cardio - it burns excess glucose off first so when you start cardio you can start with the fat burning right away.

Interesting
  • amandager
    amandager Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you burn like 5% more fat or something working out in the morning prior to eating...

This is the kind I stuff I'm wondering about
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I'm a night owl, so I choose evening. But I work out around 3 pm or 6 pm, depending on when I get out of class or work. But it doesn't matter- it's up to you. Personally, I put less effort in when working out in the morning.
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    weight training burns fuel from carbohydrates, cardio uses oxygen and burns glucose (carbohydrates) AND fats.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like to work out at night. I figure out what I'm having for dinner, check out my food diary and then exercise for the extra calories. :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    but the more lean muscle you put on, the more your body will burn fat at rest! fun stuff! :)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I am only correcting this to provide some insight and advice, not in a negative way at all :-)

If you are performing cardio at a high intensity (running, elliptical at a fast pace/incline, spinning, etc) you need those glucose stores to fuel your body. Second to this, the "fat burning" myth is just that...a myth. Your body utilizes fat when you are 100% out of glucose, which takes running long distance to do (for example), and it is not efficient at all for your workout to be utilizing fat stores. When your body is working inefficiently, calorie burn can drop as well as the benefits of the exercise you are performing. Fats provide energy at rest. That being said, doing weights first will not deplete your glycogen stores that much, unless you are on a very low carb or no carb diet.

On the actual topic...I am NOT a morning person at all but I do prefer to workout in the morning because then I know I got it done and NOTHING can get in the way of my training runs or strength training :-) So I drag myself out of bed early and workout mot days of the week, and I love it!
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter...just get the workout done. Keep it simple I always say :o]