Why do I run like a turtle?

Options
2»

Replies

• Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I looked at this post to see how a turtle runs, physically, not time-wise. :bigsmile:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my running world! I run at almost the same speed as you. And I was training for triathlons... I did six sprints within a 2 year period. I bought a book on running to see if I could help improve my speed. I ran my fastest 5 k in 36 minutes, but during training runs it takes me 38 minutes to run 3 miles. I was not much faster in the water or on the bike either. To top it all off all of that endurance training took away from my weight training and I got fatter. So sorry, I can't really help you, I can only empathize.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here! YOU ARE DOING FABULOUS! Keep at it.

For my two cents: Intervals are KEY! I HATE INTERVAL TRAINING! It is boring to count 30 seconds, etc., etc....

Now, I will tell you I NEVER do intervals, but instead, I do two things:
    - I add 1 mile to my long run every weekend. It has helped with endurance and thus speed. I am now at 12 miles on my long run day. NOW, don't get me wrong, I cannot run for 12 miles non-stop, so guess what? I TRICK myself into intervals and don't even realize it. My time went from almost 15 minute miles (for the long runs) down to 11 and 12 minute miles for my 3 milers. I think when I do a 3 mile, I am just relieved and I kick *kitten* to get it over with..
    - i train like a mad woman, ON HILLS. Hills are simply speed training in disguise too. Same reasons as above!
  • darrindlb
    darrindlb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can truly understand your issue. I started running last Jan. My first ever 5K was April 2011 with a time of 44 minutes and 39 seconds. I was able to get a time of 39 minutes 38 seconds in my last 5K in December 2011. I ran a total of five 5K races in 2011. The reason for my increase speed because of my training for a March 2012 half marathon. I workup to a long run of 14 miles. You may want to run a watch with stopwatch so you are able to time your running.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I like iSmoothRun on the iPhone, you can set your pace and it will tell you speed up or slow down.