Post-workout nausea?

Options
I have felt sick to my stomach a number of times after strength training. I've done cardio sessions in the past where I pushed too hard and got sick, but this seems different. I'm challenged during the workout, and feel a slight burn toward the end of each exercise, but am not pushing extremely hard. No shakiness or sickness during the workout. Just nausea afterward. I don't typically work out if my stomach is very empty or very full -- it's usually an hour or two after a meal. Any ideas why this may be happening and what I could do to avoid it?

Replies

• kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Possibly dehydration. Try drinking more water after your workouts. I usually find that I feel sick, usually with a very bad headache, when I workout vigorously but don't drink enough water.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Probably have a lactic build up issue. -

Are you well hydrated before during and after ?

Maybe try interval work outs, with a few minutes of rest in between each set.

Probably mainly the water thing...

Give it a shot, I had a similar problem.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same thing happen to me in the mornings when I worked out. I started drinking more later in the days before a workout and drink a cup of water before a morning workout and haven't had a problem since.

It would get so bad that I could barely make it back to my car and would just sit there in the parking lot for 10 minutes focusing on not getting sick lol. But now it's all cleared up after drinking more.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If I'm out of shape, it happens. Also, If I eat, and it hasn't been two hours, that also gets me sick.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    i got the same thing today. i think i actually drank too much water during the workout and went into it on a completely empty stomach. water and peanut butter crackers fixed me right up. I've heard some schools of thought where you drink before and after a workout, but not during to avoid nausea.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I am dehydrated, or do not have enough fuel. I drink diluted coconut water during my workout. (I just fill up my water bottle 75% and then add the coconut water). Or I use the NUUN tablets or an electrolyte powder. This does the trick and I feel much better during my workouts. The electrolytes help me a lot!

I also used to use diluted gatorade or vitamin water....but I am trying to avoid dyes so I eliminated those.

Also, don't drink too much water in your workout. It can lead to naseau. Take small sips, a few ounces at a time at most.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    This happens to me if I am dehydrated, or do not have enough fuel. I drink diluted coconut water during my workout. (I just fill up my water bottle 75% and then add the coconut water). Or I use the NUUN tablets or an electrolyte powder. This does the trick and I feel much better during my workouts. The electrolytes help me a lot!

I also used to use diluted gatorade or vitamin water....but I am trying to avoid dyes so I eliminated those.

Also, don't drink too much water in your workout. It can lead to naseau. Take small sips, a few ounces at a time at most.

I agree with the above.... drinking too much can do the same..LOVE the coconut water too!...The first time I went to train with my trainer and did a boot camp George ( I nick named him GKA..George Kicks Azz)...LOL...I felt like I was going to puke...He took me into the sleep study room and put an ice pack on my head and told me to lay there for 5 minutes...Walked out and said "good stuff"...LOL...Second time I said "George"...LOL...He handed me a bucket and said "see ya in 5" ...LOL...You can feel that way when you push your body to its limit sometimes too...I'm smart now...When I do a hard boot camp session I take a meclizine...Heheheh...Don't tell GKA!
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I usually drink water during and after my workouts, but the amount varies. Maybe I will try to keep track of the timing and amounts to see if I can pinpoint the problem.