kids drinking protein shakes????

Options
The other day I made a protein shake and my 11 year old daughter (who is a little over weight) wants a sip. I did let her take a few sips and she wanted me to make her one. I looked online (I googled it) and found that some people do and some people dont allow their children to drink it. Is it really that bad for children? Wondering if it would help her, because she absolutely hates having breakfast. What do you think????

Replies

• tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old. She drinks chocolate milk every day for breakfast. I know people who use carnation instant breakfast. I would talk to her doctor before doing it. That's my take on it.
  • 4ksmommy
    4ksmommy Posts: 11
    Options
    I drank them as a child at breakfast time with my food just for some extra protein. I hate meat and am horribly picky but was very active in sports, band, colorguard, etc so my parents/dr didnt see anything wrong with it. I did not ever use it to replace food though, just as an added bonus.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is she not eating breakfast at all? If not, I would say any calories you can get in her in the morning (the good kind, like a protein shake) are better than none!
    My shakes are only about 100-150 calories, so I would bump that up for a kid, by adding peanut butter, yogurt, etc.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies with protein powder in them (they don't get full scoop). I'm not trying to bulk them up or slim them down. Just making the smoothie a little more balance nutritionally by adding protein to it. There are far worse things they could be eating.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it!! I have three boys and I want them to get all the cals they can... And what's better than a cal of protein???

Unfortunately they can tell when I mix protein in their food or shakes! Lol...I think it tastes great... They don't :/
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies with protein powder in them (they don't get full scoop). I'm not trying to bulk them up or slim them down. Just making the smoothie a little more balance nutritionally by adding protein to it. There are far worse things they could be eating.

try adding plain yogurt instead, good source of protein, calcium and gives a lovely creamy taste!!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Let me ask... For the people that are saying no.. Or see a doctor first... Or suggesting alternatives to make the shake still taste creamy...why???

What's the reason you don't think a child should have protein powder??
    Not trying to instigate... Just really wondering.... For the life of me I can't figure out what could be even remotely wrong with it???
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old really likes my protein shakes. I cut the regular amount of protein powder in half for her though. I say if they are going to drink it, and she has trouble with getting breakfast down, go for it. My daughter has never had a problem with it, and the doctor said it was fine.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I give protein shakes to my kids. I used to give them PB/fruit shakes in the morning with skim milk if we were running late for school, and they could drink it on the way, get their vitamins and minerals, and give them energy until lunch. I do the protein powder now because it is a higher source of protein and less sugar - I should note that my 11 yo DD is a runner, and my 10 yo son has a metabolism to make you jealous. Because they are in two different houses, I know they are not always getting the protein needed at their other house as they went vegetarian recently, so I know it balances out, especially since both of them are more muscular then fat. Just my opinion though. Every parent and child is different. But isn't Carnation Instant Breakfast that they advertise on the television for kids in the US the same idea?
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Let me ask... For the people that are saying no.. Or see a doctor first... Or suggesting alternatives to make the shake still taste creamy...why???

What's the reason you don't think a child should have protein powder??
    Not trying to instigate... Just really wondering.... For the life of me I can't figure out what could be even remotely wrong with it???
    not saying there's anything wrong with adding protein powder. i don't know enough about it, adding yogurt was just a tip for an alternative!!
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My youngest is trying to add on weight and I make her protein shakes with fruit juice, fruit and greek yogurt. My oldest is trying to lose or at least maintain so I make hers with fruit and ice. I have learned that my children will mimic my food choices so if I am drinking them, they will want them.
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    So we all need approx 1 - 1.5gm protein a day per kg of body weight, which means your child isn't going to need anywhere near as much as you are... before adding too much protein powder - work out their weight and how much protein they are getting from their food - meat, green veg, milk, cheese, yoghurt, beans etc.

As long as they are getting enough from their 'FOOD' they shouldn't need a supplement - cos really that's all it is.

Why not just make her a fruit smoothie - 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup milk, 3 tblspn plain yoghurt and some peanut butter or a little squeeze of honey. Add in some LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almond blend) for extra proteins and good fats and that is a pretty balanced meal - dairy, fruit, protein, fat, carbs...

There's nothing wrong with giving it to them I would assume, but I would try getting their nutrients in via food sources rather than supplements especially at a young age
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    if you can get your daughter to drink it then i dont see the harm in it, my daughter is 13 and has reported that most of her friends have started skipping breakfast and instead having an energy drink (a really cheap and nasty imitation of redbull) now that would be harmful
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is kind of just like a balanced meal in a shaker...I don't see how it could possibly have any negative effects...
  • 100over
    100over Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make them for Jackson. It's a great way of getting a lot of fruit into him because he's on this no fruit phase. I just make his first with about half a scoop. He loves them. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I did a lot of research on it too when I first started. He's 5 now and he started getting them when was about 3.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    um...protein shake is just protein. Unless your protein brand has creatine in it something i don't see why it would be a problem. It's just one of the main 3 nutrients the body needs.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wow...thanks for all the feedback!!!! I read somewhere that it can damage a childs kidney if they have too much protein. Thats why I wanted to see what everyone else thought. My daughter will either go without breakfast, or she will have poptarts, a banana, or a slice of toast. On the weekends she will have eggs and toast. I know she is not getting enough protein and vitamins. It does bother me that she is over weight already, but thats not why I am concerned. I grew up hating breakfast and I dont want the same for her and she has just started that phase...about the same time I did. She really likes what I am drinking...but it has way to much protein. I have another container that has half the protein and maybe I can cut that in half and see how she likes it. Adding fruit and peanut butter is a great idea!!!!! Thanks everyone I really do apperciate the feedback and its helped a lot!!!!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Parents feed their kids McDonalds and Donuts for breakfast, I can't imagine a healthy protein shake could do more harm to their bodies then that crap. With that said my 2 year old took a sip of my protein shake last night and loves them. I don't mind her sipping mine but I haven't ever made them for my kiddos (not that I am opposed) I just push fruit and oatmeal for breakfast.
  • BonnieCaley
    BonnieCaley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This post is old but found it through google, my nearly 11 year old son is a bit overweight and has a never ending appetite - was thinking maybe a protein shake before dinner would help him to feel "full". He eAts a fairly well balanced diet but needs to cut back. Thanks
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old. She drinks chocolate milk every day for breakfast. I know people who use carnation instant breakfast. I would talk to her doctor before doing it. That's my take on it.

I just wouldnt give her either - protein shake or chocolate milk. Blimey you are probably giving your kid twice the RDA of sugar before shes left the house...