Any Backpacker's gearing up for a trip?

Options
sam363
sam363 Posts: 204 Member
I'm planning a trip for the end of June on the Superior Hiking Trail for a 5 or 6 day trek. I'm trying to figure out our mileage per day, gluten free menus, and what gear I might want for the trip. I have most everything but want a new pair of boots and a headlamp. Since I haven't been on a backpacking trip for about 5 years I'm starting to "train" for June. As of now I'm planning on walking on my treadmill with a 15 pound day pack during the week and then out for longer hikes on the weekends. What do you do to train? Are there any strength exercises that have really helped? And where are you excited to go next?

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Me and a friend were just talking about trying to hike some of the Appalachian trail this summer. Never hiked or anything like that lol.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thru hiking the at is a far away dream. Day hikes with the kids this summer, in the northeast, for sure.
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm planning on going out a lot this spring / summer.
    I'm doing 10 to 13 mile hikes in hilly terrain on the weekends (no heavy pack, just carrying water in my backpack). Also been snowshoeing, which helps.
    Anything that you do at a relatively slow pace for long periods of time and that is outdoors will greatly help.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Best training for backpacking is lots of hiking. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but seriously get outside with a heavy pack as much as you can. Also, make sure to wear the shoes you're planning on wearing while on your backpacking trip.

ETA: I'm planning at least 3 backpacking trips up 14ers in Colorado this summer. Also, a week long backpacking trip in Yellowstone this upcoming Fall. I can't wait! :happy:
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with Joni. Do lot's of day hikes. Also just doing any king of endurance cardio helps a lot.

Also, if you buy new boots, buy them at least a month ahead of time and wear them out a lot before the trip. I did a 5 day trip through the grand canyon last year with new boots and they were so bad I lost both my big toe nails after the trip.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Get those new boots ASAP and break them in gradually... You don't want to be stuck 2-3 days out with blisters and sore feet... it'll take you twice as long to get back.

Bring along some "mole skin" to relieve any rubby spots.
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have dreamed of backpacking on Isle Royale for many years. Almost lost the dream with a badly broken leg 6 years ago but am well healed now. This summer is out, no vacation available but will plan on it next year. My training is simple, walk to work daily and longer hikes on weekends.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 days? I've geared up for 4 days in the past. For me the difference between 1 night and 3 nights is just the amount of food I carry. The foil envelope packs of tuna were great for protein in my dinner meal. Everything else was dehydrated, either ramen noodles or instant mashed potatoes. I've got a food saver home vacuum sealer and used that to vacuum pack some cooked chicken breast, then freezing it so it lasted to the 2nd day on the trail. Day food was bars, trail mix, dried fruit, peanut butter sandwiches and a few energy supplements (shot bloks).

As for gear....light and efficient. You'll want a water pump filter and water purifier (especially if you have to draw from stagnant water). I've had couple friends catch giardia and you don't want that. Headlamps are wonderful, but carry an extra set of batteries. A good stove can be small. I've got an MSR simmerlite but have been looking at the MSR reactor. For longer trips I like liquid fuel stoves because you can judge how much fuel you have left, it's hard to do that with a canister stove. Sleeping pads and sleeping bags are good items to save weight on.

If you want to talk more, feel free to message me through here. I taught a class mountaineering for 5 years, up until 2 years ago, and am a bit of a gear dork.

Dirk
  • sam363
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the responses. I will for sure be getting my boots early to break them in. Before kids my husband and I trek Glacier National Park for a 7 days - it was amazing! We've also done extended weekend trips so I'm really excited to go for a week. We all of our gear just making sure that it's all working and added only a few things. How much is everyone carrying? My plan is to carry 30 pounds (25 percent of my weight). I want to do at least a morning hike with that much weight beforehand to adjust if I need to.
  • sam363
    Options
    5 to 6 days? I've geared up for 4 days in the past. For me the difference between 1 night and 3 nights is just the amount of food I carry. The foil envelope packs of tuna were great for protein in my dinner meal. Everything else was dehydrated, either ramen noodles or instant mashed potatoes. I've got a food saver home vacuum sealer and used that to vacuum pack some cooked chicken breast, then freezing it so it lasted to the 2nd day on the trail. Day food was bars, trail mix, dried fruit, peanut butter sandwiches and a few energy supplements (shot bloks).

As for gear....light and efficient. You'll want a water pump filter and water purifier (especially if you have to draw from stagnant water). I've had couple friends catch giardia and you don't want that. Headlamps are wonderful, but carry an extra set of batteries. A good stove can be small. I've got an MSR simmerlite but have been looking at the MSR reactor. For longer trips I like liquid fuel stoves because you can judge how much fuel you have left, it's hard to do that with a canister stove. Sleeping pads and sleeping bags are good items to save weight on.

If you want to talk more, feel free to message me through here. I taught a class mountaineering for 5 years, up until 2 years ago, and am a bit of a gear dork.

Dirk

I love my sleeping pad! And we have the pocket rocket stove. It's so tiny! And yes- a water pump filter is a must! I hate carrying more weight than I have to. We also only pack one mess kit and share to save on space/weight.
  • sam363
    Options
    I have dreamed of backpacking on Isle Royale for many years. Almost lost the dream with a badly broken leg 6 years ago but am well healed now. This summer is out, no vacation available but will plan on it next year. My training is simple, walk to work daily and longer hikes on weekends.

We planned on doing Isle Royale 4 summer's ago but postponed because I found out I was pregnant with our second daughter. I would have done it this summer but the ferry is so expensive! I would really like to take our canoe with us too. Hope you get there! It's gorgeous!
  • PamelaKeebler
    PamelaKeebler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yay backpacker friends! My latest trip plan has been foiled by real life responsabilities (boo!) Need to find a new apartment! I highly recommend the VA section of the AT, across tinker cliffs and mcaffee knob.... so beautiful! The presidentials in NH are great too- definitely use the high mountain hut system if you get a chance because there aren't many things cooler than watching a sunset/ sunrise from above treeline.

As far as training goes- hike as much as possible carrying weight. To supplement that, get on the stair stepper and strengthen your quads. If you're into weight training, focus on your quads and hamstrings- the extra strength is very helpful for steep ascents and descents. You can't really replace actually hiking to develop the stability muscles and endurance, though!

If you're worried about your fitness level for an extended trip- picking up a pair of trekking poles really helps spare your legs on the long days. I won't hike without mine, but my knees are also complete garbage.

Have a great trip! Post pics!! :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing 4 days/75 miles in the Yosemite back country this summer, have my wilderness permit and everything. But my brother-in-law is getting re-married the same weekend (my permit precedes his plans too). Gonna shoot for September/October, when its starting to cool down but before the snow.

Last summer, I tried to do the PCT by Lake Tahoe over the 4th of july weekend. I had to cut it short as there was 8'+ of snow above 7000' :(

I average about 25 miles per day.

For 4 days, this is my load out:
    canister stove (2.5 oz)
    fuel (220g) - don't know how many ounces that is, but it's the size that fits inside the next thing
    Cup for boiling water and spork (6.3 oz)
    hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag, 2 AL stakes (~32 oz)
    Clothes - not very much (~12 oz)
    Food (~1lb/day so 64 oz)
    knife + first aid kit (8 oz)
    backpack (17 oz)
    bear box (41 oz :( )

That's about 11 lbs.

I also don't wear boots. Unless you've got real weak ankles and are clumsy, they are probably excessive. A nice pair of trail runners have just as good, if not better, traction, and are much lighter. Your legs would thank you for wearing them instead ;) . And they dry quicker.
    During my PCT hike last summer, I had to ford some thigh deep creeks that don't exist on maps, only during snow melt. My shoes were dry by dinner.

For training, mostly running. Occasional day hikes, but I probably do more mileage running in two weeks than I do day hikes over a year.