Sugar withdrawals

Ok, I admit it. I'm a sugar addict. I am, however, trying to significantly cut it but every time I try I get the shakes and generally just feel blah. Anyone have some tips on how to help? I know I shouldn't go cold turkey, that goes without saying, so I try to wean myself, but I still get the symptoms.

Replies

• kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Kicking sugar addiction is really tough. I have been going through it this month. I have found that "moderation" didn't work for me. In the end, I had to quit cold turkey. Maybe someday I'll be able to have occasional moderation, but there will have to be a lot of boundaries involved because I know I'll relapse pretty easily.

My only tip is to be honest with your spouse about what you're going through. Admit your cravings when they come up and ask for help. My husband helps to distract me what I'm struggling and reminds me that the struggle is worth it.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    I have no spouse. lol However, I think I am going to have to do it cold turkey as well. If I allow a little, I end up going overboard.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 176 Member
    I can't say I ever had a problem with sugar....BUT I still needed to cut it out of my diet, it seems everything has sugar. I had to cut it out because of my hereditary diabetes risk. Do you have family members with diabetes? That's a huge motivator, at least for me. Also the best advice I can give is to eat more fruit, its sweet. But its not the terrible refined processed bad white sugars. Also do some research online about the effects of sugar on your health and body. That might motivate you, good luck.
  • MDawg81
    My grandmother is diabetic, but that's it. It's like I know the health benefits of cutting it, I just physically stall at doing it. Also, I guess I'll just have to force myself to eat fruit until I'm used to it, since I know it has the good sugars and may help. I'm just not in a fruit habit.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 176 Member
    My grandmother is diabetic, but that's it. It's like I know the health benefits of cutting it, I just physically stall at doing it. Also, I guess I'll just have to force myself to eat fruit until I'm used to it, since I know it has the good sugars and may help. I'm just not in a fruit habit.

Then you know what to do....all I can say is DO IT. ;)
  • MDawg81
    I wish it was as simple as doing it. I mean, it is, but you know what I'm saying. lol
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 420 Member
    I had to go off of sugar, grains, dairy and caffeine all at the same time in January. I highly recommend increasing your protein plus also I allow myself a bit of honey to take care of the sweet craving. Honey on plain yogurt is like nirvana for me now (pathetic but true). If you can make it through the first 3 or 4 days you'll be alright.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I used to be like that. I got it under control by having some fruit every time I craved sugar. At first I was eating tons of fruit, but now its probably like 5-6 servings a day.

I include a serving of honey as one of my fruit servings too. Not too sure if that counts but its only because I like honey in my raw milk.
  • MDawg81
    Thanks for the tips, guys.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Not to hijack your thread but in a sugar related question, is the auto generated recommended amount of sugar on MFP accurate? I go over mine almost everyday :embarassed:
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Have you talked to a doctor or anyone about it? Shakes could be a symptom of crashing blood sugars. I don't want to be alarmist, but you may even be prediabetic or something. Pay attention to the simple carbs you're eating too, like processed wheat, corn, potatoes and white rice... those turn into sugars fast and could be making things even harder for you by raising your sugars even more than you know. Try to add some more fiber and water too if you can.

edited to add: Also, don't feel bad about how hard this is, the only way I was able to cut sugar and not look back was pregnant with gestational diabetes... my son's life was on the line. Ever since I have battled and pretty much lost. A day I stay in the green on here is a day to celebrate!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I used to be like that. I got it under control by having some fruit every time I craved sugar. At first I was eating tons of fruit, but now its probably like 5-6 servings a day.

Fruit has helped me get over a sugar addiction, too. I have switched to having some fresh fruit with every meal and I literally haven't craved a sweet treat in 15 days. Fruit will still put you over your sugar limits for the day, but once you break the habit of reaching for treats, you can back off the fruit to however much you want to leave in your diet for the long term.
  • Thrasherbabe
    Thrasherbabe Posts: 68 Member
    Working in an ice cream and candy shop for 4 years I feel as though I can relate with sugar withdrawals. I am constantly surrounded by sugar and quickly found out that I have an addiction. Something that helps me get through my withdrawals is fruity gum or a small hard candy to suck on to help every now and again.

Good luck!!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    For any withdrawals, take a pain reliever for the headaches...they will go away after the first 3 or 4 days. Usually day 3 is your turning point if you go cold turkey. Day 1 is anxiety about giving it up and Day 2 is full out body tantrums to try to get you to give it what it wants. They say the brain of a sugar addict looks much like a heroin addict's on a scan. So it is serious. But cold turkey works best in my opinion. The withdrawal is shorter.

Eat fruit when you crave sugar. Also make sure you drink lots more water when you are "detoxing" from the sugar. It will help with the symptoms. Add protein and fiber so that you are less hungry and this will decrease your chance of developing the cravings.

Use agave nectar or honey if you just must have a sweet taste and use it sparingly, until you can go without.
  • Sugar addict here too! As aforementioned, if you're going to "wean," fruit helps.
    However, what I found helped most was the cleaner I ate (concentration on strictly lean protein, fresh veg - mainly greens - and the odd healthy fats), the less I craved sugar, now I can't even look at it.

Play around with your diet and if it needs tidying, tidy it up. You should notice a difference. Your body is craving sugar for a reason.

Hope that helps :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    You've already had lots of great advise. I'm sugar sensitive, and have gone "cold turkey" many times. My experience is that it's rough for three to four days, and after that you feel like you've been set free. Your mind is sharper, you have more time to do things you enjoy, you're not constantly having to fight food cravings - it's worth the detox struggle. When you're in the midst of it, though, your mind will find every way it can to get you to give up. Believe it or not, beans and lentils help a lot. They increase seratonin and make you feel happy and satisfied. Fruit also helps, but avoid white bread, white rice, and pasta.

Cold turkey is the only way to go for a true sugar addict. Would you tell an alcoholic to cut down gradually? If you decide to do it, hold on to the hope that there WILL be an end to your suffering in a few days, and life will be much happier without sugar. You will have to experience it yourself to know what I mean. Don't deprive yourself of knowing freedom from sugar!
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Just this afternoon I came through the end of a 3-day headache due to sugar withdrawal. I had been all good and eating fresh and clean for a few months (and lost 46#) then went nuts baking and eating what I baked (cookies and brownies). Not going over much on calories but just a bad mix of food. So to get back on track, I went cold turkey on the sugar and processed stuff as of Friday, and it was only today that my head stopped hurting. Still kind of craving sweets, but do NOT want to go through the headache thing again - at least until I forget just how crappy it felt.

So, I don't have advice, just a warning that it might feel super crappy before it gets better. But it can be done.

Good luck!
  • 3ur0tr45h
    3ur0tr45h Posts: 12
    My wife struggled with sugar addiction and artificial sweeteners and her only way to kick it was to go cold turkey. She had four ROUGH days and then totally beat it. By six days her headaches were gone.

We found that if you want to cut sugar, you have to cut it all the way. Use artificial sweetners if you need to but in my opinion, you will gain much by learning to enjoy natural flavors over artificial ones. Of course, you don't need to try to cut the sugars found naturally in foods such as fruit. It's the added sugar that gets you.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member

I include a serving of honey as one of my fruit servings too. Not too sure if that counts but its only because I like honey in my raw milk.

I like the fruit solution... which of course does contain sugars... (Fructose as opposed to Sucrose)... Exercise may have a positive impact here as well... Also, please note that most if not all processed foods such as candies, cakes, etc have additives which serve as APPETITE ENHANCERS... In other words, they are designed to temporarily help the hunger but leave you craving more sooner rather than later... Nice for their bottom line I'd say... but not so grand for your bottom....
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Good way to start is to see how much high fructose corn syrup is in every food and condiment you're eating. Toss that crap out.