Is there anyone out there like me?

Options
I don't think my body properly digests meat. If I eat it, I get a pain on the inside of my right hip and I get constipated for days. It's strange to me that the pain is so localized. It's like I'm missing some kind of enzyme to digest the meat and it gets stuck there. I know it's from eating meat because when I remove it from my diet, the pain goes away and stays away, but if I eat even a little bit of meat, within a day or two, the pain is back. I can eat dairy foods, eggs and even fish without problems though.

I'm having a hard time finding information about what could be causing this. Is there anyone else out there that has the same symptoms?

Replies

• belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten red meat or pork for many years now because I can't digest it properly. It makes my stomach hurt, then it makes me cramp, and then to top it off it makes me constipated. I know other people like this. It is particularly common with beef. Someone explained to me that it is just an intolerance (rather than an allergy). People with lactose intolerance can't break down dairy products just as we can't break down meat. I guess you would call it meat intolerance. Out of curiosity can you eat Chicken?
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I will get that with very fatty cuts of meat. I think it's a more severe form of heart burn
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Sounds like a form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My husband has it. He had to completely give up beef.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am currently experiancing the same pain. I have been on a low carb diet for about 5 days. I eat lots of meat (ham, chicken, hamburger) and i have been eating more cheese than i think i should. Before this low carb thing i was eating lots of granola bars, cereals, yogurt. I was having a B.M. at least twice a day.

I have never been constipated in my life before, so i wasent sure if i was or not. i have not had a b.m in 2 days. But i noticed that i feel bloated and my tummy is somewhat hard.

Fiber is an important nutrient that moves along digestion. Meat has no fiber.
    Fiber is mostly found in fruits and veggies. Whole grains and oatmeal has good fiber also.

I have decided to add fiber back into my diet, even though the carbs come along with it. I mostly eat my carbs in the morning, and this is when i get my fiber from apples, banana, or oatmeal. I also like fiberone, fiber plus and south beach diet fiber bars. Each bar has about 25 grams of carbs in it.

I think the pain we feel would happen to anyone that was not getting enough fiber, because its harder for our bodies to digest meat, and when its by itself with no fiber, its even harder.
    Hope this helped somewhat!:flowerforyou:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way with beef. I think its all of the crap they feed those poor cows which in turn we eat. If you love it, (and can afford it) maybe try free-range beef products or organic beef. It could be all the hormones, feed and other stimulants that are affecting your digestive system.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I haven't eaten red meat or pork for many years now because I can't digest it properly. It makes my stomach hurt, then it makes me cramp, and then to top it off it makes me constipated. I know other people like this. It is particularly common with beef. Someone explained to me that it is just an intolerance (rather than an allergy). People with lactose intolerance can't break down dairy products just as we can't break down meat. I guess you would call it meat intolerance. Out of curiosity can you eat Chicken?

Nope... no chicken, pork, or beef. It's a different reaction than lactose intolerant people get. I don't get cramping or anything like that, it just hurts in that one spot. If I should sneeze, it's excruciating. My ob/gyn actually thought it was some kind of ovarian cyst, but the ultra sound came back clean. It wasn't until I gave up meat as an experiment for other reasons that I realized that was the cause.

In response to the post about fiber, I eat a lot of fiber, at least 20 grams per day. I eat tons of fresh fruit, veggies and beans. And it only takes an ounce or two of meat to get the pain.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I say, if it hurts you, don't eat it. How about fish?
  • dclarsh
    Options
    I say, if it hurts you, don't eat it. How about fish?

Right now, I don't... I've been pretty much meat free for a year and a half. But man do I sure crave a good steak sometimes. Seems like if I could find the cause and take steps to fix it, I could have my steak and eat it too.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    dclarsh. Do you have a soy allergy? The reason I am asking this, is that I have a friend who is so sensitive to soy, she is now growing her own chickens, so she can have eggs that don't originate from hens who ate soy. She cannot eat meat from a cow that is fed soy, etc. etc. And one of the symptoms is that she gets pains in her ovaries.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Please don't blame the low carb diet for that...............That is part of the reason I get bashed so much for how I eat............

If you were eating only protein and hardly any vegetables, then that would be the reason why you were experiencing some issues................

Low carb plans followed as they are written provide plenty of fiber in the form of veggies that prevents those issues from happening.

I follow a grain free plan and eat plenty of plant materials that I have never had an issue with constipation, gas or any other gastrointestinal issues.

I am currently experiancing the same pain. I have been on a low carb diet for about 5 days. I eat lots of meat (ham, chicken, hamburger) and i have been eating more cheese than i think i should. Before this low carb thing i was eating lots of granola bars, cereals, yogurt. I was having a B.M. at least twice a day.

I have never been constipated in my life before, so i wasent sure if i was or not. i have not had a b.m in 2 days. But i noticed that i feel bloated and my tummy is somewhat hard.

Fiber is an important nutrient that moves along digestion. Meat has no fiber.
    Fiber is mostly found in fruits and veggies. Whole grains and oatmeal has good fiber also.

I have decided to add fiber back into my diet, even though the carbs come along with it. I mostly eat my carbs in the morning, and this is when i get my fiber from apples, banana, or oatmeal. I also like fiberone, fiber plus and south beach diet fiber bars. Each bar has about 25 grams of carbs in it.

I think the pain we feel would happen to anyone that was not getting enough fiber, because its harder for our bodies to digest meat, and when its by itself with no fiber, its even harder.
    Hope this helped somewhat!:flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with this also...............

Before I started getting organic, free range and grass fed meats - I was eating a low carb lifestyle and still not losing weight..............

I went to my Dr and told him what was going on and he told me that the hormones and antibiotics in the grocery store meats were messing up my body chemistry and my own bodies hormones..........

I got going again by starting to buy meat straight from farmers and farmers markets here.

I am the exact same way with beef. I think its all of the crap they feed those poor cows which in turn we eat. If you love it, (and can afford it) maybe try free-range beef products or organic beef. It could be all the hormones, feed and other stimulants that are affecting your digestive system.
  • dclarsh
    Options
    dclarsh. Do you have a soy allergy? The reason I am asking this, is that I have a friend who is so sensitive to soy, she is now growing her own chickens, so she can have eggs that don't originate from hens who ate soy. She cannot eat meat from a cow that is fed soy, etc. etc. And one of the symptoms is that she gets pains in her ovaries.

No soy allergy. I eat tofu, edemame and other soy products on a fairly regular basis and have no issue with any of them.