cold symptons

Options
I exercise for two hours every morning between 6-8, i try and slip in another workout pm. Three weeks ago i quit the ciggies. This past week every evening i suffer with cold like symptons, nose running, bin full of tissues, sneazingand a thick head.
But come morning am fine again.

Do you think its my body getting rid of all the nasty's from my smoking or any ideas as to why?

Replies

• RightTrackBaby
    RightTrackBaby Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's definitely possible. You could be going into smoker's withdrawal. Just like anything, cigarettes are addicting and you can have flu like symptoms when you quit. Just keep doing what you're doing, eating healthy and getting plenty of vitamin C just in case it gets worse!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I exercise for two hours every morning between 6-8, i try and slip in another workout pm. Three weeks ago i quit the ciggies. This past week every evening i suffer with cold like symptons, nose running, bin full of tissues, sneazingand a thick head.
    But come morning am fine again.

Do you think its my body getting rid of all the nasty's from my smoking or any ideas as to why?

Sounds a lot more like an allergy you didn't notice while you smoked... Try an antihistamine. If it helps, it was an allergy.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hayfever?
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am an occassion smoker or if you will, a temporary relapser... Since starting my gym routine, any cardio I do, almost immediately I get a stuffed nose and headache... I have to take a tissue to the elliptical with me so I dont "mouth breathe" the whole time. Great job on quitting though! It truely takes an effort :) I plan on stopping again very soon, after I get some of the stress removed from my life
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    allergies act like sinus infections for me..... in fact I'm battling it right now. I get a lot of congestion first.... I hate it! Right now I'm hacking up a lung and it's difficult to get the exercise in.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hayfever?

Sounds like. You describe what I've I've been feeling for the past week or so. The pollen counts, at least in my area, have been especially bad this year.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sounds like allergies to me. I recently quit smoking, and I never had the problem you describe.

You say you're working out 2-3 hours a day and I assume that you're probably eating less than you did before (since, apparently, you're trying to lose weight). Is it possible that you're completely run down and you've caught a virus?
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    If you've recently reduced how much you eat and increased how much you exercise it can make you feel really tired and a bit like you're getting a cold/flu-type illness by the end of the day because of the extra strain your body isn't used to. And then when you've relaxed and allowed your body to heal up overnight you can feel fine again in the morning. As you get more and more used to the change in your routine these kind of symptoms will gradually stop appearing.

Or you could be just fighting off a real illness, that when you're tired at the end of a day the symptoms start to come on but your body fights it off again overnight.

I think getting rid of all the nasties from smoking is more likely to come out as coughing up icky stuff. But well done for quitting, keep it up!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a little obsessive/compulsive sometimes, so I had to do some google action. :) There is mention of headaches, coughing, fatigue, and other cold-like symptoms that may accompany nicotine withdrawal. One place mentioned that the first 48 hrs is the worst and all symptoms should disappear by 6 months.

Kudos to you on quitting! Here's some more incentive from the American Cancer Society and Centers for Disease Control on the GOOD thing that happen after your last cig...

20 minutes - blood pressure and heart rate drops
    8 hours - carbon monoxide levels and oxygen levels in the blood return to normal
    24 hours - chance of HEART ATTACK decreases!
    48 hours- nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to taste and smell improve
    2 wks to 3 mths - circulation improves, lung function increases up to 30%
    1 to 9 mths - coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decresases; cilia regrow in lungs increasing body's ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection; overall level of energy increases
    1 yr - excess risk of Coronary Disease decreases by 50%
    5 yrs - lung cancer death rate for former one-pack-a-day smoker decreases by 50%; risk of mouth, throat, esophagus cancer is half that of a smoker
    5-10 yrs - stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker
    10 yrs - lung cancer death rate similar to that of a non-smoker. risk of various cancers (bladder, kidney, ...) decreases
    15 yrs - Coronary Disease risk is that of a non-smoker.

:flowerforyou:
  • FionaHelen
    FionaHelen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the advice, may try taking piriton for a few days see if that helps :-) if not am sure it will right itself with time!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    unless you're allergic to something you only come into contact with at that time of the day?
  • shannp
    shannp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    After smoking for 23 years, I finally quit in April 2011 and haven't looked back. I found that for 6 months after quitting I needed to take phenergen (antihistamine) as I too had flu like symptoms. I went to the doctor who advised that when some ppl quit smoking their airways can become quite sensitive to everyday stuff and the symptoms can be eased with antihistamines.

It does get better the longer you are off the smokes :)