egg salad

Options
n8nbu
n8nbu Posts: 10
Any ideas on making egg salad with out mayo? to cut cals.

Replies

• OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt, but then I have to really spice it up in order to mask the yogurt flavor.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    just make it with mayo and have small portions
  • CrumCake81
    Options
    What about light mayonnaise or the fat-free kind? I love egg salad so I feel you on that one.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I agree Daniboo......
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use a 3/1 ratio of plain Greek yougurt to full fat mayo (the 'lite' version is full of sodium and sugar), and use a combo of dry mustard, garlic pepper, onion powder and djon mustard to give it a good flavour. I always check and use salt free granulated spices as the extra salt can cause bloating. For a dozen eggs I use 6 oz yougurt, 2 oz mayo(4 tblspn), a tblspn each of the dried spices and djon, mix and taste. Sometimes you need an extra squirt of mustard. I also cut recipes that use sour cream in the same manner, using a 3/1 ratio of yougurt to sour cream, but I dump the yougurt in a mesh strainer and let it drain for an hour or two to make it thicker.
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make my egg salad with one egg and one egg white to cut calories and then only use 1/2 tbsp. or light mayo with olive oil. You don't need as much as you think.

But another thing you can try is to use the Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges for 35 calories per wedge.
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what didn't work, garlic hummus!

Going to try miracle whip next.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

But another thing you can try is to use the Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges for 35 calories per wedge.

I use those things to make ~EVERYTHING~ creamy!!!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow is the best for eggs. One boiled egg, mashed with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow is INSANELY delicious. I don't even LIKE egg salad, but I'll eat it made that way. :)
  • michellesk1
    Options
    ~ A table spoon of Miricle whip, table spoon of mustard and a few sliced green olives. ~
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hellmans Lighter Than Light is really good, something like 16kcal per tablespoon
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Light salad cream (very low fat and cal)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, I just made a big bowl of egg salad this morning. I entered my ingredients into the recipe builder, using 10 eggs and 175g of Hellmanns light mayo, half fat soured cream and a bit of dijon, a few spices and dill. 100g is 176 cals. I don't think that's too bad!
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    Hellmans Lighter Than Light is really good, something like 16kcal per tablespoon

Not sure if you're in the UK, but the one here is just 10 calories per tablespoon now :)
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I make my egg salad with one egg and one egg white to cut calories and then only use 1/2 tbsp. or light mayo with olive oil. You don't need as much as you think.

I use the Kraft Mayo with olive oil, some relish, 1 egg, and 2 egg whites. Very similar, and yummy! :)
    (and my dogs appreciate the 1 yolk each they get as a snack).
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Mush up the eggs, s & p, dill relish, dijon mustard, and mix. Add the mayo last, and you'll only need a tiny bit! On toast, with lettuce-holy cow, it's awesome!
  • litlhols
    litlhols Posts: 2
    Options
    low cal miracle whip and spicy mustard awesome!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I make it with vinegar and veggies. sometimes a drizzle of salad dressing.
    cucumbers
    carrots
    bell peppers
    vinegar
    salt & pepper
    red onion

comes out pretty yummy!
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I make it with vinegar and veggies. sometimes a drizzle of salad dressing.
    cucumbers
    carrots
    bell peppers
    vinegar
    salt & pepper
    red onion

comes out pretty yummy!
    Love it this way...I also use avocado as mayo..tastes great!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I use yellow mustard and fat free cottage cheese instead of mayo